cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surely this is illegal ! - The 'BBC' Kids Channels should be free to view !

Erm, by placing the BBC Kids Channels 'CBBC' & 'Cbeebies' under a pay to view voucher scheme surely you are breaking the UK Licensing law as these are free to air channels for which you are only required to hold a UK TV Licence.

By charging for these channels, surely Now TV are breaking the Law by gaining revenue from these channels.

I shall call the BBC TV licensing department to clarify this tomorrow as i'm sure they will be interested in this.

6 REPLIES 6
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

The BBC iPlayer app is still on the NOW TV box unchanged, so people can access CBBC and CBeebies channels and content in there. NOW TV Have negotiated access to additional boxsets for inclusion in the kids pass (similar to the way that additional content above and beyond that provided by the BBC iPlayer service can be bought from the BBC Store)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

They will have a similar deal as Netflix do for carrying BBC content, Sky aren't likely to start advertising/including their stuff without permission 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I take it you haven't heard of BBC worldwide?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBC_Worldwide

Anonymous User
Not applicable

You see they have not put the channels up for Watch Live so they only have on demand content which is not breaking any "TV Licensing law"

Legend 5
Legend 5

So are Virgin etc breaking licencing law when they don't have BBC 1 as a free service......
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
BicBasher
Elite

@4268 wrote:
So are Virgin etc breaking licencing law when they don't have BBC 1 as a free service......

@4268 During the analogue era, Virgin had to provide BBC1, 2, ITV, C4 and C5 for free as a communal service to flats etc.   I'm not too sure how it works if for some reason Virgin cut off the pay tv service, but I suspect those five channels still have to be supplied.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.