cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Surely this is illegal ! - The 'BBC' Kids Channels should be free to view !

Erm, by placing the BBC Kids Channels 'CBBC' & 'Cbeebies' under a pay to view voucher scheme surely you are breaking the UK Licensing law as these are free to air channels for which you are only required to hold a UK TV Licence.

By charging for these channels, surely Now TV are breaking the Law

I shall call the BBC TV licensing department to clarify this tomorrow as i'm sure they will be interested in this.

6 REPLIES 6
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

The BBC iPlayer app is still on the NOW TV box unchanged, so people can access CBBC and CBeebies channels and content in there. NOW TV Have negotiated access to additional boxsets for inclusion in the kids pass (similar to the way that additional content above and beyond that provided by the BBC iPlayer service can be bought from the BBC Store)

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm not happy with that as this starts to separate viewing content for people who have payed exactly the same money.

I'll still contact them to verify this.

Thanks for the reply - Do you work for Now TV so i can use your reply as an official response ?

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately I don't work for NOW TV so you can't use my reply as an official response. But it's no different to Netflix and Amazon Video having the rights to some BBC content on their services - the rights have been acquired from BBC themselves. Nothing has been taken away from the BBC iPlayer service that users of the NOW TV box already had access to.

BicBasher
Elite

The arrangement with BBC Worldwide (the BBC's commercial arm) for the extra children's content which isn't on iPlayer is similar to how Dave shows Top Gear or GOLD showing old BBC sitcoms.

The revenue gained from NOW TV pass holders will go back into programme making at the BBC.

Networking Spec - ISP: TalkTalk VDSL2 @ 76mbps | Amazon Fire TV Cube 2nd Gen, Chromecast 3rd Gen WiFi, Motorola Moto G9 (Android 11), Dell PC with Windows 10 Home Edition using Now TV Player.
DarylM
Legend 5
Legend 5

The CBBC and CBeebies channels aren't on Now TV.  Only some older content which is available on demand only and has been licensed from BBC Wordwide.

If this has solved your issue please mark this as an accepted solution.

Those little green stars by my name mean that I'm a Community Contributor - not Now TV staff. I just try to help out if I can.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi NOW TV Team,

Can this topic be moved into this forums dedicated Kids sub-section please?

Cheers