cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi,

I work for a University and we run a wifi network across all our halls of residence, as well as wired ethernet. We use enterprise 802.11x backed by a RADIUS server to validate peoples wifi logins, which is pretty standard in a large multi-user environment. People connect to the wifi with a username & password pair. This again is pretty standard in this situation. The Now TV box I have here to test with does not support enterprise wifi. It appears to only support WEP-64, WEP-128, WPA and WPA2 with PSK (preshared keys). That's great for a home user but not for the thousands of students who will be buying these boxes because of their price bracket - this should be a pretty big taret market for Sky I'd have thought! Other devices which don't support this type of wifi security are Xbox 360s and Playstation 3s. However they have ethernet ports so they can be plugged into the network with a cable - no such luck with Now TV.

As a last ditch attempt I tried setting up an ad-hoc connection from my laptop with Internet Connection Sharing but the Now TV box won't connect to ad-hoc wifi either, only infrastructure networks.

Are there any plans to add these features with a firmware update (which of course you have to have connected to a network to download...)? If not, these set top boxes are totally useless to the hundreds of thousands of students in the UK and abroad.

9 Comments
Anonymous User
Not applicable
Excellent post. Might be better to put this in the Ideas Board
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Will one of these do the trick if you plugged it into the wired network?

http://www.tinydeal.com/-B-LINK-New-Arrival-3-in-1-Super-Mini-Pocket-Portable-WiFi-Wireless-Router-C...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It might well do if we allowed our students to use such things 😉

Anonymous User
Not applicable

People have been asking Roku (the box manufacturer) to add support for these kind of networks for a long time now.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It drives me up the wall! I purchased a now tv box for uni and can't even use it 😞

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Naff all supports WPA2 enterprise...

Its meant to keep people out and it does just that because public devices don't support it...  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anonymous User
Not applicable

My father bought me a NowTv Box for xmas especially for uni, an now im finding out we can't use it at all? question.. what if i brought my own router to uni an plugged the uni internet cable into that, would it work then? This is crazy, this box should support this as uni students are probably their main buyers! what an absolute joke. I will definately not recommend a NowTv box to anyone again, especially fellow uni students.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User plugging in your own router depends on how the ethernet connection works. If it just pumps the internet in to a connected laptop then it should be fine in "cable" mode. Another option would be to look at something like the Netgear N300 Travel Router where that would connect to the captive portal and then create it's own wifi network just for you. The advantages of this is that you don't need to jump through the hoops with your other devices and it could be used in other locations like hotels where they might charge per device (as it will only count as one).