cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Dear NowTV Team

Can you, or will you, allow the Roku Media Player to be installed on our NowTV boxes?

As far as I understand, it will immediately give the USB port functionality which can be readily used by box owners.  And all you would need to do is place the RMP in the App Store and possibly change it's name to either NowTV Media Player or just plain Media Player.

Also, could you place this post in the ideas section.

UK Bob

31 Comments
chilli2
Elite

[quote] The Now TV box is sold and marketed purely as a streaming device which allows paid access to Sky channels and some bonus free services such as iPlayer and Youtube.  Just because the device they use to implement  has an SD slot and a USB port doesn't place them under any obligation to make them usable.  Why would they?[/quote]

The hardware the black now TV box is based on is the Roku 3, that features a USB media player, and until recently could be sideloaded to the Now TV box via developer mode.

in theory it should eb a simple process to aprove the Roku media app for the Now TV channel/app store and would add value to the device its self keeping customer coming back to the box.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Oh so I also wondered about using the USB port for Recording and viewing media, even my 10 year old TV lets you write live TV to a USB stick.  I think I will be digging out my reciept and taking this back.

no USB and no useful EPG - I already had a little now tv box (well 2 actually) this is justa  big now tv box with the addition of a freeview player with a poor Now and Next EPG.

very sad

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Further to my previous comment, I see that NOW TV are advertising their boxes as including the USB and SD card readers:

http://www.nowtv.com/best-tv-boxes

Has functionality been added, or is this seriously misleading and unlawful?

Jay

chilli2
Elite

I saw that add and though they had finaly pulled thier finger out - but nope. nothing, just a missleading false advert.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

yer come on now tv great service but lets have a media player app and sony bravia app

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

Personally I beleive the Now TV box should have both Netlfix and Amazon apps avaliable. 

This would be a perfect all round box if they app the 2 main streaming services, as I am a subscriber to Now TV, Netflix and Amazon. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

We've just bought one of these, primarily to allow us to watch Freeview channels on an old Samsung HD TV that's lost its aerial input.
However, we'd also like to watch video content on our home network NAS, as we do on our main TV, but this device doesn't support that.
So what's the point of the included SD slot and USB port? There seems to be no application built-in or available that allows content on connected devices to be viewed. I'm not too fussed, as we have other devices that can view our NAS content, but it seems bizarre to sell a product with ports that can't be used - especially as some adverts for the device specifically mention these ports. Isn't that misleading the potential buyers?
So I vote for a Plex or similar media player to be added ASAP.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It would cost nothing to allow the USB and medis player app to be enabled and then for paying customers to use their recorded music.

Our new smart-box was and is being advertised as having a usable USB and that is misleading.

Please make the media player available or allow installation SKY!