cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you release an app for the Panasonic Viera connect market and other smart tvs too?

A good range of smart tv apps would dramatically enhance the useability of your service on smart tv's.

A smart app would open up a vast range on potential new users for your service, convenience is everyting in this market. 

The BBC iplayer is probably the most useful, impressive and used app on any uk  smart tv why can't you emulate this success with Now TV?

38 Comments
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Can you tell me when will the now TV app be available to Panasonic TVs if ever please.

Graham-S
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member
Status changed to: Open

Anonymous User
Not applicable

It seems that the official view is a secret as I cannot seem to find any answer to the question at all - very very poor customer care

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Primarily it's up-to Panasonic to decide whether it's worth their time, effort and money to offer and maintain any of the 'apps' that utilise the different operating system versions that run on their TV's.

Currently their UHD smart TV's run versions of the Firefox OS. However in Sep 2016 Mozilla ceased development of Firefox so Panasonic are tweaking it themselves now Smiley Surprised

EDIT: The last time I asked Panasonic if they were interested in adding the NOW TV app to their TV's, they were more interested in the development of the Freeview and Freesat apps...

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

I don't think that's quite right @SeeMoreDigital Mozilla have lowered the development priority of Firefox OS, but I don't think they  have stopped developing it completely

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I can confirm that Mozilla have definitely ceased development of the Firefox OS that runs on Panasonic UHD TV's. They are however contractually committed to maintain some form of involvement for an unspecified amount of time. And an unspecified level of involvement Smiley Surprised

I was at the launch of the DX902 when the 'you know what' hit the fan...

What Mozilla have elected to do with Firefox in general... I don't know 😉

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Then I stand corrected @SeeMoreDigital

To my mind that means that Panasonic now have two options they could either develop their own smart TV OS or they could go with android TV. I think the latter would make more sense for because most services/providers already have apps that work with android TV. NowTV is one of the few providers that doesn't have an app that works with android TV OS

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Panasonic are actually not doing a bad job of developing their version of the Firefox OS. It runs really well on their quad-core processing TV's.

So who knows they may end-up keeping it and give it a new name when Mozilla's contractual commitments expire...