cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please can you add support for 50Hz output to the NowTV box.

All UK TV content is encoded for viewing at 50Hz. The NowTV box only outputs at 60Hz, meaning anything intended for UK broadcast (eg. NowTV, Sky News, BBC iPlayer and Demand 5 - ie. everything the box comes pre-installed with) does not play back smoothly.

25 Comments
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The last time I tried watching a football match online, i almost went cross-eyed.

This is one of the main reasons why I think I am so far able to overcome the temptation to take the sports pack for this season's premier league. 

It works properly on Sky via Satellite, but I'm not going back to that either, unfortunately.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

As Roku boxes are 60Hz I can't see NOWTV box changing.

I've used Roku boxes ( not NOWTV) for about 32 months, in conjuncton with 32" Panasonic 100Hz Full HD, and not had any viewing problems.

BicBasher
Elite

Worth noting that along with LG devices, Apple TV also can be adjusted to 50hz for smooth playback.

BicBasher
Elite

Chromecast is now also 50Hz compatible which should help some users who don't have a LG TV/Smart Blu-Ray or Apple TV watch Now TV, iPlayer and All4.

commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi all

@BicBasher the Xbox one is also capable of 50 Hz output, but you have to set it in video settings on the device . I'm not sure about The PS4

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@BicBasher That's surprising, since Google were steadfastedly refusing to fix that last time I checked.  I see there's an article about the u-turn here.  How can we get Roku to finally acknowledge there is a problem?  They're the only ones sticking to 60Hz now, which makes them look a bit rubbish.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Everyone, I have great news. I have solved the judder issue. DO NOT use Now TV via games console, tablet, mobile phone. Use your PC or Laptop. When you connect your PC to your tv, go to the start menu and type in 'Intel HD Graphics Control Panel'. Then go to display and click on the 'refresh rate ' option. Change the 60hz to 50hz. Click 'Apply' and then click yes. Now all your Now TV content should now refresh at 50HZ. It worked for me and I'm so happy. 😃
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User,

With respect, what you've found is nothing new. The new NOW TV 'smart' box offers a 50Hz output, as do the Apple TV products along with the LG and Samsung televisions. 

Over the years there's been plenty of discussion on the forum regarding the correct frequency to view NOW TV content.

By-the-way... With regard to viewing NOW TV on a computer at 50Hz. Sadly, not all graphics chipsets are able to be set to 50Hz! 

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable
No prob.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

The recent updates have now given the Now TV boxes 50Hz output, so this can be marked "complete".