cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Please add a TV Catchup app to Now TV.

This is very useful for people who use the Now TV box on a telvision in a location that does not receive any digital signal,

65 Comments
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I am enjoying the box I bought, but I would really like an option to have no live TV. That would save me buying a tv licenses as I never watch live TV

Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  remember you have to have a licence to watch iplayer even content that is not live.  You don't need a licence to watch Now catchup.  What you can do if you have a smart box is leave the aerial unplugged. (remove the wire)

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

If you don't watch Freeview terrestrial TV, why didn't you buy the standard nowtv black box rather than the smart box ?

Was the nowtv smart box a freebie ?  

Anonymous User
Not applicable

The box was a £15.00 from Tesco. Sadly it includes live channels like sky so the license police will say that my device is capable of watching live TV so I must still get a license. Unplugging the aerial won't count in this case. 

I think NOW TV are kissng a trick here. Slightly off topic I know but I found I am able to reply but for some reason I can;t start a new thread

ukbobboy
Legend

@glostered @4268 @schnapps

Guys

I just found the following:

Do you have to pay for a TV license?

So whether you're watching live TV on a television, computer, tablet, games console, smartphone or any other device, you'll need to pay the fee. However you do not need a TV licence if you only watch content after it's been shown on television – UNLESS it's on iPlayer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Which effectively means that if you have access to the BBC iplayer you are liable to pay the TV licence.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Yes, I know that but as the box has live channels I still need a license. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Have a read of this nowtv help article below about TV Licence when using the nowtv service.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/do-i-need-a-tv-licence-to-watch-now-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Technically correct but the license monsters have pursued many people and taken them to court just saying the device is capable so a license is still required. A shame as I never watch live tv

Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User by that logic all devices that allow for viewing content should mean people have to have a license including those on which you can't get Now. Even the Amazon devices allow access to live TV.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Indeed, but that is hardly fair is it ? I fail to see why I should pay for a service I don't use and the BBC have shown they will go to extraordinary lengths to take people to court. Now if the Now TV box didn't have the live channels I could just unplug my aerial and not pay.