cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Wireless headphones.

I have recently bought some wireless headphones for hard of hearing and although they work perfectly with the television they won’t through my NowTV box. Have tried an audio converter but it doesn’t work.  Any help would be appreciated as these headphones make quite a difference to my hearing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum. I would have expected you to be able to connect these direct to the TV and any source that is currently playing on the TV eg Freeview, NOW TV Box, DVDnplayer should be played through the headphones, rather than trying to connect this to the NOW TV box (which I can't imagine would work).

However if you post the make and model of your headphones someone might be willing to investigate and help you.

Yes @Anonymous User, @Andy is correct 🙂 Your dongle should plug into the aux port on your TV. If you can get us the Make/Model of your TV we can check to see if it even has an aux port. Thanks

View solution in original post

26 REPLIES 26
Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to check this out. My headphones are already connected to the television and work well with the normal channels but when I switch over to NowTV the sound coming through the headphones is from the tv and not the channel I’m trying to watch on the box. Does that make sense? Tried live chat but that didn’t get me anywhere,

No problem @Anonymous User Hopefully we can get this sorted. Try @schnapps suggestion as well as that could be the trick.  What do you hear when NOW TV is playing? Is there anything at all coming through the headphones @Anonymous User ?

Also, @Anonymous User Can you check your actual TV settings as some TVs have a specific sound setting that allows all audio to play out of the headphone port only and not the TV's speakers.

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you for taking the time to check this out. My headphones are already connected to the television and work well with the normal channels but when I switch over to NowTV the sound coming through the headphones is from the tv and not the channel I’m trying to watch on the box. Does that make sense? Tried live chat but that didn’t get me anywhere,

No problem @Anonymous User Hopefully we can get this sorted. Try @schnapps suggestion as well as that could be the trick.  What do you hear when NOW TV is playing? Is there anything at all coming through the headphones @Anonymous User ?

@Anonymous User I was just looking through the manaul for the Geemarc CL7400 and it seems they don't have a HDMI port. Now i'm trying to figure out how we are going to get the sound coming out of your SCART and the NOW TV Box showing images on the Screen via HDMI. @schnapps @Andy Any ideas guys?

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Tony-D @Anonymous User

According to the Geemarc CL7400 instruction manual page 4 linked below, I would try connecting the 3.5mm jack cable from the base unit into the headphones out on the TV and just double check that there is any option in the TV Audio menu settings to select headphones out.

Also make sure that the TV is set to the HDMI input source of the nowtv box.

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1084097/Geemarc-Cl7400.html?page=4#manual

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

At the risk of too many contributions confusing the matter, it sounds more like a TV issue than anything else. It appears @Anonymous User has connected everything up correctly (via headphone jack as there is no SCART OUT  or RCA OUT on the TV).

If I've understood @Anonymous User correctlyseems to be working fine for Freeview channels but when switching to the Box it is still the Freeview channels outputting through the headphone socket. This isn't normal behaviour for any TV. I would be tempted to 

1. Connect a normal pair of headphones/earphones to the TV and see if you get the same results - could be a fault on the TV

2. Disconnect the wireless base from the TV, switch to the Box and check sound comes out of TV speakers when playing NOW TV, and if it does try connecting the wireless base to headphone socket again and see what happens.

3. If still the same result unplug the TV from the mains for a couple of minutes and try again.

Report back and see what's ehat, although there may be limited support we can give, there is a help line for the TV and for the wireless headphones and trying either of those might be of use.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi there, thank you for trying to help, I’m getting confused now (not difficult!). I was using headphones 

prior to having these new wireless ones and they worked fine with the television and the box and it’s correct that the sound coming through the new headphones is from the freeview channels even when I have NowTV switched on. Have tried switching everything off and on again but it’s the same. I can watch NowTV normally without headphones so there’s nothing wrong with the TV or box it’s just these headphones that won’t make a connection .  Perhaps there isn't a facility for wireless one’s at the moment, I certainly can’t find anything on the website or via the live chat. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Well, that's interesting and unfortunately mysterious at the same time.

The fact that a normal pair of headphones works fines suggests the TV is fine and outputting the correct source. It also eliminates any issues with the NOW TV box.

However the TV doesn't know what's connected to the headphone socket so it shouldn't make any difference using a normal pair of headphones or your wireless headphones.

Here's one possible answer - do you have the NOW TV Smart Box that connects up to an aerial and can receive Freeview channels? If you're not sure which you have the Smart Box looks like this 

image.png

and the normal Black Box looks like this

image.png

If you have the Smart Box and you've set it up with an aerial then when it first switches on it does play the last Freeview channel you were watching. You will hear this when it starts. Have you tried pressing the NOW TV button on the remote to open the NOW TV app and then try watching something on NOW TV instead. Does the correct programme play through the headphones now?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have the ordinary box not the smart one.

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User In that case I can't think why it would work with a normal pair of headphones but not the wireless ones! 

If you have another TV in the house with a headphone socket it might be interesting to see what happens when you connect the NOW TV box to that TV and then try using the wireless headphones. Or alternately if you have something else connected to your main TV eg a DVD player, it would be interesting to see what happens when you watch that instead.

However any of that tinkering isn't going to solve your problem, and I don't want to get you messing around for no reason so only do that if you particularly enjoy tinkering!

Tony or schnapps might have other suggestions for you, but personally I'd suggest contacting Geemarc direct to see if they have any ideas or have come across the issue before.

You can call them on 01707 387602 between 09:00 and 16:00 Monday to Friday or drop them an e-mail on customerservices 'at' geemarc.com

Sorry I can't be more use!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thank you again. I tried geemarc before NowTV, they could only suggest trying an audio converter which they said might or might not work, obviously it didn’t. I can usually sort things like this out for myself, my late husband was a tv etc etc engineer so I’m used to seeing the back and insides of tv’s and other equipment and not afraid to having a tinker!  I don’t have another television in the house and am not set up with any other equipment except a DVD player. Will try that and see what happens. I wasn’t born into a world of technology (am 74) but pick things up as I go along, it’s all trial and error isn’t it sometimes. 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Thank you again. I tried geemarc before NowTV, they could only suggest trying an audio converter which they said might or might not work, obviously it didn’t. I can usually sort things like this out for myself, my late husband was a tv etc etc engineer so I’m used to seeing the back and insides of tv’s and other equipment and not afraid to having a tinker!  I don’t have another television in the house and am not set up with any other equipment except a DVD player. Will try that and see what happens. I wasn’t born into a world of technology (am 74) but pick things up as I go along, it’s all trial and error isn’t it sometimes. 

@Anonymous User Hope you can get this sorted. It's a very weird thing to happen with the whole freeview still coming through. If you get this sorted can you give us an update for any future reference? Thanks