cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Why does NowTv work so well on slow connections like mine?

Hello everyone!

This is my first NowTV forum post. 

Sorry if my spelling is a bit off but grammer is not my strong point lol

My question is...

I have a connection that is 300kbps at a push and some how NowTV and other services like Netflix work perfectly!

Why is this? I can imagine that its because the servers are really good and can actually keep up with the ammount of users watching SkyCinema or Sky Entertainment or what ever.

Can someone explain this to me in more detail if you don't mind?

Thank you! 

3 REPLIES 3
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Welcome to the forum.

NOW TV (and most other streaming services) use what's called adaptive bitrate streaming, which means they will automatically adjust the 'quality' of the stream you get to match how fast your Internet connection is. This means people with lower bandwidth connections will still hopefully get a stable experience with little or no buffering, albeit at a lower quality of picture than someone with a faster connection. 

300kps is pretty low,but if it works well for you then sit back and enjoy the ride! 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've just been on Youtube and Google to learn more about "adaptive bitrate streaming".

It's incredible! What a brilliant way to stream something on a slow connection. 

Someone down the road only gets 130kbps and netflix never buffers on that but instead dumbs the quality down and then back up to HQ. 

I'm watching Assasins Creed in HQ on a 42Inch Samsung TV and it only dumbed down the quality when I was browsing on my phone for less than a minute and then it went back to HQ. 

Thank you very much for answering that question. It's really amazing and explains why things you buy on Google Play Movies and Amazon Prime video never buffers. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User I agree it's amazing when you think about it! And one of these days an Internet connected device is going to fill the kettle, make a cup of tea and deliver it to me without leaving the sofa. When that day comes I'll be well happy!

Enjoy your NOW TV! 🙂