Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Warner Brothers DC Universe is starting to Implode

@caseyb1993 @Andy

Guys

I just heard some disturbing news which does not look too good for DCs planned universe, I'll just lay it out and let you decide what to make of it.

1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Did not do as well as WB were expecting, this now has set the tone of what may or may not follow. 

2) Flash - The forthcoming movie.

The director, Seth Grahame-Smith, has walked out, i.e. quit the project. 

3) AquamanThe forthcoming movie.

Up and coming young director James Wan has run into creative differences with the bosses at WB.

4) Wonder Woman

Three proposed directors have already turned down the offer of working on this film.

The only good news are as follows:

1) Ben Affleck will have complete creative control over the new Batman film he will star in.

2) The new Justice League film is still going ahead, i.e. production has started.

Can things get any worse?

UK Bob

57 REPLIES 57
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

@caseyb1993 @Andy

Guys

I just heard some disturbing news which does not look too good for DCs planned universe, I'll just lay it out and let you decide what to make of it.

1) Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Did not do as well as WB were expecting, this now has set the tone of what may or may not follow. 

2) Flash - The forthcoming movie.

The director, Seth Grahame-Smith, has walked out, i.e. quit the project. 

UK Bob

Hi @ukbobboy

Depending on your point of view, this isn't really bad news because the more trouble and DC are having with the movie side of things, the less they will mess around with the TV universe side of things, which is good news for all those who like DCs TV universe.

In the past, the industry has let the movie side of things take precedence over TV. So if the DC movies started doing really well, they would start more heavily restricting what the TV universe can and can't do. You would probably also end up with scenarios where certain characters couldn't be part of the TV universe. In fact, I think that happens already with the TV show sometimes but on a relatively small scale.

For example, I'm not sure what the existence of the flash movie would mean for the flash TV show. So the fact that DC and Warner Bros are having trouble with regard to the flash movie might be a good thing for fans of the TV universe like myself. The flash is my favourite DC universe TV show

If you think about it the DC TV universe is huge now and the DC TV shows, are shown in multiple territories, so DC and Warner Bros will make quite a lot of money from the TV shows. at present we currently have

• Arrow
  • The flash
  • supergirl
  • Legends of tomorrow
  • Gotham

It does sometimes annoy me somewhat that TV is seen by the entertainment industry as a cheap knockoff compared to movies when actually in scenarios where you're dealing with a huge universe such as DC comics. I think TV might actually be a little bit better because you don't have to condense the stories down anywhere near as much as you would in movies.

I may not have seen Batman versus Superman, Dawn of justice at the cinema, but I would admit to having the Blu-ray on pre-order. Smiley Happy One of the complaints that I have heard about the film is that it felt as if it was to condensed down and there was just things missing from it Which means, in some ways some things didn't necessarily make sense because of that.  Which is the exact argument I have put across above, isn't it

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

I hope the movie franchises do succeed but I feel TV shows have more of a chance to shine as with over 20 episodes compared to a 2-3 hour film, it has more time to develop.

With Justice League part 1 planned for release just next year, does that mean it will be rushed or knocked out of the park?

Either way, my seat will be reserved in the cinema, for J.L and future releases 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@commanda6 @caseyb1993 @Andy

Hi Commanda

You know, as much as I find what you have written is somewhat disturbing I also know you are right in what you say, which is in essence "the more problems they have in the film world the less attention, and interference, they will give the TV world".  

And I agree with you because it's the movies that bring in the "mega big bucks", while the money from the TV world come in the form of licensing fees, i.e. a mere trickle in comparison. However, the thing that worries me is that if the film world starts to fails then WB is more than likely to put up the licence fees on the TV shows.

I, like you, like the way the CW team are running the DC TV universe, which is much better than the way WB's DC film universe is going. I would hate it if the "stuff shirts" at WB got stuck into the TV world and infest it with their "old fashion" (50 year old) ideas, i.e. like inserting comedy relief villains in every show.

However, as long as WB leaves CW to get on with what it does best then I will continue to be happy. And the way to keep WB busy and focused is for them to continue to work on their films.

As for Batman v Superman, wait until the longer "R" rated version comes out, I am sure some of the "silly" plot points will make sense.

Hi Casey

I too want the J.L film to succeed, it has the potential to be great or WB could turn it into a car crash.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Sorry, your post must have slipped me by, but I do enjoy a good 'we're all dooooomed' post! 

I'm not worried about DC's expanded movie universe personally, BvS has done nearly 900m at the box-office so I doubt the execs will be throwing themselves from the high-rise just yet (although it is an interesting Hollywood movie industry we have now where over 1bn at the box-office has become almost a benchmark of success rather than a Wishlist now .... 900m? Bah, it's a disaster! Fire everybody! I want every last cent of those pathetic punters' money or you'll never make another movie in this town again! *chomps on cigar*)

Not worried about The Flash or Aquaman, Flash will be in pre-production for a long while yet, and it's not unusual for changes of directors in the fickle world of Hollywood these days. It didn't do Deadpool or Ant-Man any harm. 

Not worried about Wonder Woman either, in fact I can't wait for it! Patty Jenkins was appointed director before filming started, and filming has now finished and entered post-production. If directors had walked out in the middle of filming it would be a different matter, but I've got high hopes for that one.

At the end of the day these films will bring in enough money to ensure they carry on a while. And on a purely selfish note, I really like the look, feel and tone of these new DC films. It's a stark contrast to the Marvel universe, which if I'm honest after so many films I'm increasingly indifferent towards. Being more of a DC fan anyway, the last thing I wanted was DC coming in with a series of movies that felt like 'more of the same'. I loved Man of Steel and whilst some BvS fans now seem to be ashamed to say anything positive about it, I'm happy to say I loved it and want more of it. Of course it's not perfect (flagged a bit in the middle, but most movies do feel like they are 10 mins too long these days, didn't connect with Iron's Alfred but luckily his screen time was only a couple of minutes) but it kept me thoroughly entertained and had me buzzing as I left the cinema, left me wanting more, and that's all you can ask for. I was surprised to hear even you gave it an above-average 6.5 which given your feelings towards it will surely have the execs patting themselves on the back!

who knows how much or how little tinkering to the formula will go on behind the scenes as the movies progress, but I can't wait to join them on the journey.

If anything, I quite like the feeling of being the only one to be proud to say I loved the film ... I feel like I'm the only member of my own secret, underground club down the basement steps of a derelict building tucked away in that dark, dingy, damp alleyway where no-one wants to go after dark ... I must design myself a membership card and put a bouncer on the door!

image.jpeg

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

As a side note, can't help but by excited by the possibility of a Harley Quinn movie, with an all-star female mash-up including the likes of Bat Girl and Poison Ivy .... oh, yes please, I promise to behave if you make this happen! 

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/margot-robbies-harley-quinn-movie-894486

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy

Hi Andy

Nah, DC is not doomed it's just that WB doesn't make films that most people like and they don't know how, they just keep on inserting ancient (50 year old) gimmicks (typical stuff shirt mentally). However, they will go on to make profitable films, there's now doubt of that, but they will loose audience share if they do not address their underlying problems.

As for your side note, yeah I wanna see an all female gang of DC super villains and super heroes as well.  But we will have to wait and see if WB has the talented CHOPS to do right by such a film.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy  as long as they make films that I enjoy I'm not bothered if they aren't majority-pleasers. I enjoy living on the fringe. I'm happy to buy a couple of tickets for Suicide Squad, just need to persuade @caseyb1993 to cough up the other $700m to make sure it's a success ...

image.jpeg

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Andy

Hi Casey

Our good forum friend @Andy would like you to mortgage your home for the next 3,000 years.

I'll lend you my calculator and an exercise book to help you out.

Money Calculator Emoticon                                       

Just make sure you have enough left over for your essential.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy @Andy

Will you take a cheque?

Boing Boing Boing Boing Boing!!!! 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂