cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

VPN Blocked

Hi is there any way I can watch SkyNOWtv via VPN?

I don't want to watch from another country or avoiding licensing vice versa, I just don't want my privacy invaded and activity logged, recorded or spied on. I assume there's somthing in the t&c's that mean I agree not to break the license agreements anyway, so can my setup be unblocked?

Also I frequently do Other things that require vpn, and want to simultaneously watch SkyNOW, but I can't because the VPN is blocked.

Regards

40 REPLIES 40
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@SeeMoreDigital wrote:

The use of VPN's has never been supported by NOW TV. And neither has accessing its service from outside the UK.

For more information look here: Can I watch NOW TV abroad?

The help page you quoted only talks about non supporting viewing from abroad.

Where in the NOW TV documentation and/or T&Cs it's explicitely forbidden to use a VPN while in the UK???

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User As far as I'm aware NOW TV have never said you can't use a VPN to access the service,as you mention as long as you are located in the UK you are fine. However NOW TV do have systems in place to try and detect when people are trying to circumvent geographic restrictions, and it's possible those systems will sometimes falsely flag someone using a VPN in the UK. In those situations it's likely NOW TV would just give you the solution of connecting without the VPN.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User As far as I'm aware NOW TV have never said you can't use a VPN to access the service,as you mention as long as you are located in the UK you are fine. However NOW TV do have systems in place to try and detect when people are trying to circumvent geographic restrictions, and it's possible those systems will sometimes falsely flag someone using a VPN in the UK. In those situations it's likely NOW TV would just give you the solution of connecting without the VPN.

In the post above SeeMoreDigital said something very different: "The use of VPN's has never been supported by NOW TV. "

I was just trying to understand where that might be coming from.

As far as your explanation is concerned, I find it very clumsy... all modern devices phones/tablets and all have sophisticated location services: why, for example, should the iOS NowTv app rely on the IP geolocation that is so easily confused?

Asking customers to turn off VPNs is a very bad and unsecure policy... think about connecting from some public wifi service, why should I be forced to turn off my secure VPN to watch NowTv from the UK?

Moreover, if this is the NowTv position, shouldnt this be very clearly staed in the helpfiles and in the T&Cs... I found no mention of such a policy... all very clumsy...

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yeah I appreciate where you're coming from, I'd imagine it's not cropped up on the forum much before as most people would use VPNs for sensitive traffic such as work-related or banking transactions rather than just for general streaming.

NOW TV don't reveal their actual method of establishing location so I'm not sure if it's purely IP based, and I can't speak for SMD but I imagine he meant support as in 'troubleshoot' rather than 'allow'.

Are you just asking in general or are you having particular problems trying to connect? If so I can tag a member of the NOW TV Team for you to see if there is any help they can give you as far as troubleshooting goes.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy wrote:

@Anonymous User Yeah I appreciate where you're coming from, I'd imagine it's not cropped up on the forum much before as most people would use VPNs for sensitive traffic such as work-related or banking transactions rather than just for general streaming.

NOW TV don't reveal their actual method of establishing location so I'm not sure if it's purely IP based, and I can't speak for SMD but I imagine he meant support as in 'troubleshoot' rather than 'allow'.

Are you just asking in general or are you having particular problems trying to connect? If so I can tag a member of the NOW TV Team for you to see if there is any help they can give you as far as troubleshooting goes.

Not sure what you mean with troubleshoot... I'm in the UK, using the latest NowTv app on the latest iOS... without any VPN all good... if I switch on my ZenMate VPN while on public wifi then I get error messages from the app (something like not being able to connect to the stream). End of troubleshooting: conclusion... if I'm in the UK on a public wifi service I do not necessarily trust then I can't really watch NowTv... still it would be nice to have an official word from NowTv...

What's more to troubleshoot?

The issue with using the VPN only for sensitive traffic and not for streaming... well, do you know what your phone actually does in the background while you are watching a TV episode on NowTv? From a security point of view... you connect to a "dodgy" public wifi, then you start the VPN... end of story, no need to worry about what app you are using and what your phone might be doing in the background...

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User @Anonymous User

Is there anything you can advise for the user above? Thanks!

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy wrote:

@Andy @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @4268 @SeeMoreDigital

Unfortunately we don't support any VPN's at all and this is to do with the licencing agreements we have in place with our suppliers.

This has come from management.

Thanks The Nowtv Team .

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User thanks for the clarification, apologies to @Anonymous User for any misunderstanding my post caused.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Andy wrote:

@Andy @Anonymous User @Anonymous User @4268 @SeeMoreDigital

Unfortunately we don't support any VPN's at all and this is to do with the licencing agreements we have in place with our suppliers.

This has come from management.

Thanks The Nowtv Team .

Thanks for the clarification.

It would be good if you also could share a link/reference to the section of the NowTv T&Cs that reflects  your statement.

I might have missed it, but I do not remember any statement in the NowTv T&Cs about NowTv actively blocking users when using a VPN even when located in the U.K. If such a statement is not there how can NowTv enforce such un-announced policy?

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Had a quick look at http://www.nowtv.com/terms and nowhere the word VPN is found.

It mentions restrictions from using the service from outside of the UK, but nothing about forbidding the use of VPNs.