cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Super bumper fun TV adverts fom childhood thread

@caseyb1993 @schnapps @ukbobboy and anyone else with an infantile sense of humour

So here it is, the super bumper fun TV adverts from childhood thread (blame Casey she started it with Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles .... the only thing you can really do with a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille is .... you know the rest!)

Nobody likes watching ads these days they just lack the smile, childish elegance of our rose-tinted youth (ie everything was naff but we thought it was fab at the time).

So regardless of age, share your favourite TV ads from your yoof. The funnier, wittier, or sing-along-addictive the better.

I've got SOOOO many to choose from, but here's a couple of my favourites to kick things off.

The Smash mashed potato alien robots from

https://youtu.be/ofv5Ca1LD8U

And my all time favourite PG Tips chimp ad (I LOOOVE a good monkey ad), Mr Shifter the removal chimp ... All together now .... "Cooeeeeee Mr Shifter...."

https://youtu.be/m3F0nnPHyWo

150 REPLIES 150
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 Oh ye seen The Simpsons Comic in shops never knew they did a Futurama one tho ... Wonder if there's still lots of British comics for kids (as opposed to adults who are big kids) these days - there were loads around in the 70s even if some of them were quite sexist ... I'm not brave enough to stand in the newsagents flicking through kids comics these days ... I'd be worried I'd end up looking like Sheldon in the bookstore

https://youtu.be/waT7nz4sAoI

Sheldon was a child prodigy, starting college at the age of 11. As a theoretical physicist, he possesses a master's degree, two PhD's and an IQ of 187. He exhibits a strict adherence to routine, a lack of understanding of irony, sarcasm and humor and a complete lack of humility.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy Kids comics these days tend to be aimed at 5-10 year olds. I don't know the exact titles for the girly ones but the boys are mainly superheroes. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

I wonder if we can send @caseyb1993 into the newsagents to check out all the comics for us these days, she could be like a mystery shopper, or one of those Trading Standards plants to make sure alcohol isn't being sold to underage kids ... 😄

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy

With your love and fascination with "Chimps", i am surprised that you wasn't a big fan of the 1930's B&W Tarzan (Johnny Weissmuller) with his Co Star "Cheetah the Chimp" who is Tarzan's side kick Smiley Very Happy

Here's some of Cheetah's Video Footage from YouTube (enjoy) Smiley Very Happy

[video]

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Funny enough I've never watched any of the Tarzan films so whilst I knew he had a chimp called Cheetah I'd never seen him in action, so I enjoyed those highlights cheers! It looks like he was the best actor in there (and a borderline alcoholic!)

In return it's about time we had another PG Tips ad ... How about Bond, Brooke Bond!
https://youtu.be/8AeTZ4-wLXk

Taken from the 'Monkey Business' video given away free with PG Tips Tea. I have uploaded these adverts to make available to you and visitors to my website at www.BrookeBondCollectables.co.uk.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy wrote:

or one of those Trading Standards plants to make sure alcohol isn't being sold to underage kids ... 😄

@Andy @schnapps @ukbobboy

Have you ever pulled this gag? 

richmond-irish-recipe-8thic-sausages-hen-an-underage-chav-asks-18125011

Speaking of Minnie The Minx! Wow, I remember this! 😄

[video]

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 @Andy @ukbobboy

Talking about cigarettes this is a true story honestly.

Our old boss in work ran out of cigarettes and asked one of the young apprentices who was about 18 years old at the time, to go down the local Newsagents for a pack of cigarettes.

Before the young apprentice left the office, he asked the boss what type of cigarettes you want, which he replied a pack of 20 Regal King size.

Then the apprentice asked my boss "what if the haven't got any Regal King size", where my boss replied "then just get me anything".

After about 15 minutes the apprentice came back to the office and handed my boss "A Mars Bar".

My boss then said to the apprentice "whats this for" and the apprentice replied, that you told me if the Newsagents didn't have any Regal King size cigarettes left in the shop "to get me anything".

Well everybody in the office burst out laughing apart from the apprentice who didn't understand why we were all laughing at him Smiley Very Happy

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Awww bless his little cotton socks. 😉

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

It is a good job you uploaded that insane escalator advert @Andy 🙂

As I nearly landed on my behind on the travelator in Sainsburys this afternoon! 😄

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 Wow! Those films really must work, thanks to their excellent safety advice you didn't get sucked down into the gap with only your pink wellybobs and your bag of bananas making it to the end ... Phew! 🙂

PS do what I do - take the stairs next time!