cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Super bumper fun TV adverts fom childhood thread

@caseyb1993 @schnapps @ukbobboy and anyone else with an infantile sense of humour

So here it is, the super bumper fun TV adverts from childhood thread (blame Casey she started it with Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles .... the only thing you can really do with a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille is .... you know the rest!)

Nobody likes watching ads these days they just lack the smile, childish elegance of our rose-tinted youth (ie everything was naff but we thought it was fab at the time).

So regardless of age, share your favourite TV ads from your yoof. The funnier, wittier, or sing-along-addictive the better.

I've got SOOOO many to choose from, but here's a couple of my favourites to kick things off.

The Smash mashed potato alien robots from

https://youtu.be/ofv5Ca1LD8U

And my all time favourite PG Tips chimp ad (I LOOOVE a good monkey ad), Mr Shifter the removal chimp ... All together now .... "Cooeeeeee Mr Shifter...."

https://youtu.be/m3F0nnPHyWo

150 REPLIES 150
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy

Yeah we had Angel Delight as well at our house (was going to add blancmange to my previous desert list, but to be honest i couldn't spell it until you mentioned Angel Delight) Smiley Very Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps @ukbobboy @caseyb1993 Interestingly I was reading up on Spam in light of the convo (my mum is also a fan of Spam) and not only did it play a large role in feeding US troops during WW2 but Russia also said that without Spam they would have been unable to feed their army, so I suppose we should give the spiced pork and ham product a little slack! It also comes in lots of different flavours - honey Spam and cheese Spam anyone? Unfortunately I'm vegetarian so I won't be able to join you!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy @ukbobboy @caseyb1993

I was having a think about the popular TV adverts for chocolate bars / biscuits that i used to eat as a small kid.

Not talking about the chocolate bars for the older kids or grownups like Flake, Turkish Delight, Mars Bars, Marathon (remember those before they changed the name to Sneakers) and Yorkie Bars (which i thought was for rugged lorry drivers).

Milky Bar " The milky bar kid is strong and tough..'...."

[video]

Cadbury's Fudge " A finger of fudge is just enough to give your kids a treat" 

I also remember when boys would play conkers and marbles and the girls would either skip with a rope or play hopscotch in the school yard Smiley Happy

[video]

Cadbury's Curly Wurley with Terry Scott the Comedian dressed up has a school boy.

[video]

And finally a Penguin biscuit  " P P Pick up a Penguin" which we had with a cup of tea (yes i even drank tea has a little boy and if i had a tummy upset when staying at my Grandmothers house she would always put a teaspoon of whiskey in the tea to warm me up) Smiley Very Happy

[video]

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Ugh Vienetta. Another thing I hated. I hated (still do) the chocolate in it. 😞

Angel delight on the other hand is a classic! Have you had the new "to go" pots yet? They aren't that good to be honest. 😞

A good version of A.D is to make a biscuit base like you would for a cheesecake and chill it to harden. Then whip up the A.D, pour it over and chill again. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy @caseyb1993 @ukbobboy

Thought i would just had this YouTube video clip (not advert though) about the most popular branded chocolates and sweets from the 1980's when growing up has a kid, where i remember most of them with fondness (what small kid doesn't like sweets) Smiley Very Happy

There is one sweet brand on there that i hated with a vengeance and that was "Space Dust" that would crackle and fizz on your tongue, which to me was disgusting where loads of kids at the time were buying out of their sweet money Smiley Sad

BTW - Some of the music tracks on the YouTube video clip is some of the best songs taken from the 1980's Smiley Wink

[video]

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy @caseyb1993

You know Schnapps

The sweet I hated with a vengeance was Fry's Turkish Delight:

Fry's Turkish Delight.jpg

It is the most disgusting concoction ever put to together, and it was sold to children in the late 60s/early 70s, ugh, it put me off anything called "Turkish Delight" for life.

To tell you the truth, I don't know if it is still on sale but I sure hope it's not.

UK Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5
@ukbobboy They still do make Turkish Delight and like you said, "it is the most disgusting concoction". Blech. 😞
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Great find! OMG I had completely forgotten all about Trebor Mummies until seeing the wrapper but I used to LOVE those as a kid, funny how it all disappears in time - PS obviously doesn't apply to you @caseyb1993, you've got the joy of forgetting where you put your keys and why you walked into a room to come to you yet! 😄

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Andy "you've got the joy of forgetting where you put your keys and why you walked into a room to come to you yet!"
I'm like that anyway! 😄 😄
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy @ukbobboy @schnapps

Question for you all. Did you ever read the Beano? 🙂