cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Super bumper fun TV adverts fom childhood thread

@caseyb1993 @schnapps @ukbobboy and anyone else with an infantile sense of humour

So here it is, the super bumper fun TV adverts from childhood thread (blame Casey she started it with Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles .... the only thing you can really do with a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille is .... you know the rest!)

Nobody likes watching ads these days they just lack the smile, childish elegance of our rose-tinted youth (ie everything was naff but we thought it was fab at the time).

So regardless of age, share your favourite TV ads from your yoof. The funnier, wittier, or sing-along-addictive the better.

I've got SOOOO many to choose from, but here's a couple of my favourites to kick things off.

The Smash mashed potato alien robots from

https://youtu.be/ofv5Ca1LD8U

And my all time favourite PG Tips chimp ad (I LOOOVE a good monkey ad), Mr Shifter the removal chimp ... All together now .... "Cooeeeeee Mr Shifter...."

https://youtu.be/m3F0nnPHyWo

PG Tips Mr Shifter another funny add from the 80s
150 REPLIES 150
ukbobboy
Legend
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy @schnapps @ukbobboy

I actually know about "Charley says" as when I was growing up, there were clips of it on a TV show and it reminded my mum of when she was little. I think the show was called "It never did me any harm". She threatened to put me on that show! 😄 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 @ukbobboy

Because @Andy mentioned he was a big fan of this Hip Hop band when he was a teenager i thought he might find these two TV adverts of some interest (The second commercial drags on a little bit to long until they reveal the product that they are advertising IMO).

[video]

[video]

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hey Schnapps

That first (2 in 1) advert grabbed me right in the enjoyment zone, I do  like that GrandMaster Flash song, The Message.

I also enjoyed "Salt and Pepa".

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy @caseyb1993 @Andy

Just stumbled across on YouTube two TV adverts (not sure if they were aired for the UK TV market never seen them before and never heard of the brand).

Where on the adverts they use a different music track really well for the scene of the advert (just a warning if you are a mouse or a squirrel lover then it might be worth avoiding the video clips).

If anybody is interested, then just type in the YouTube search engine "Nolan Cheese Mouse Commercial " & Nolan Nuts Squirrel Commercial".

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

You know Schnapps

I can see why these adverts were not aired in the UK, they are in very poor taste and I'm reasonably sure that Nolans would not want their products remembered for or associated with such disgusting images.

UK Bob

I have despatched vermin when I've had to but for me it was a necessity, not a comedic event. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @Andy @caseyb1993 @ukbobboy

When i was a child growing up the two main educational adverts on TV for children were "Charley Says" and "The Green Cross Code Man".

@schnapps They must have repeated those ads for years as I remember them very well, although the Charlie Says ones didn't help me at all. I always found both Charlie and the boy very creepy, I'd rather wander off with the stranger!!

This one did make me genuinely scared of escalators as a kid, I'd always use the stairs instead. And I never once felt the urge to swim in a lake. Rather than keeping me safe I reckon they just made a generation of kids terrified of everyday life!

https://youtu.be/LLHV3th1AWI

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps @ukbobboy

Remember how you used to get ads for everyday things like milk and eggs and cheese? This is a classic, everyone knows this catchphrase!

https://youtu.be/pieK7b4KLL4

Find it here first in this web premiere! Unedited, uncut, unDOGed, uninterrupted.
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy @ukbobboy

Yeah, i remember those TV adverts about everyday essential food items, there is one particular advert back in the seventies and eighties with a recognisable theme tune which you would always associate with that food brand (any guesses) ?

Yet another pub quiz question, a young film maker who shot this above TV commercial back in the early seventies became one of the biggest Directors in Hollywood (can you name him) ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy @caseyb1993

Hi Schnapps

That advert you're asking about, is it Hovis?

Hovis Bread.jpg

As for the Director, I don't know who is his.

UK Bob