cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Super bumper fun TV adverts fom childhood thread

@caseyb1993 @schnapps @ukbobboy and anyone else with an infantile sense of humour

So here it is, the super bumper fun TV adverts from childhood thread (blame Casey she started it with Rowntree's Fruit Pastilles .... the only thing you can really do with a Rowntree's Fruit Pastille is .... you know the rest!)

Nobody likes watching ads these days they just lack the smile, childish elegance of our rose-tinted youth (ie everything was naff but we thought it was fab at the time).

So regardless of age, share your favourite TV ads from your yoof. The funnier, wittier, or sing-along-addictive the better.

I've got SOOOO many to choose from, but here's a couple of my favourites to kick things off.

The Smash mashed potato alien robots from

https://youtu.be/ofv5Ca1LD8U

And my all time favourite PG Tips chimp ad (I LOOOVE a good monkey ad), Mr Shifter the removal chimp ... All together now .... "Cooeeeeee Mr Shifter...."

https://youtu.be/m3F0nnPHyWo

150 REPLIES 150
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy wrote:

3) Tom & Jerry

This was the funniest cartoon ever, nothing can come close to it.  However, there was a time when it was banned for being too violent and so the later episodes had to be toned down, those versions were anaemic. 

Hi @ukbobboy,

If you're interested.... Amazon Prime are currently offering some select Tom and Jerry episodes. Ranging from the 1940's to the 1960's 😉

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital

Cheers SMD

I may go for those cartoons at a later date, right now I'm gearing up for the Defenders and it's looking good.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

caseyb1993 wrote:I was obsessed with Polly Pockets!
I still have every single one. 🙂
My favourite was Polly Pocket Fairy School play set. 🙂
Until my brother broke it. 😞

@caseyb1993 Never heard of it but it looks like you could spend plenty of money on it!

image.png

i used to collect the Star Wars action figures which were massive in the 80s just about the whole world collected them. You could never collect them all tho as they just kept churning out more and more. I used to love the figures with the lightsabres best which slid in and out of their arm Terminator style and were forever getting bent. C3PO was forever falling to bits as well during epic battles with my friend Mark.

image.png

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy My heart broke when they stopped making them. 😞

End of an era. 😞

My parents probably did spend a fortune on them! 😄

Ugh, Star Wars. 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@Andy My heart broke when they stopped making them. 😞

End of an era. 😞

My parents probably did spend a fortune on them! 😄

Ugh, Star Wars. 😄

@caseyb1993 Oh! 😞

In that case can I offer you a nice friendly game of Mouse Trap, I used to like that as well!

https://youtu.be/Pk1ue1tolFc

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy Has anyone ever actually played Mouse trap properly? 

Or just set the trap off? 😄

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi Everybody,

Was having a think of what games that i played when I was a child and these two among many others stood out.

Battleship, where in school we would just use a pencil and paper (together with other simple paper games like noughts & crosses and hang man) .

Where Battleship developed into the MB Game which i had one for Christmas and then evolved into the more advanced Electronic Battleship which i didn't own (I wonder if kids one day in the future will be playing VR Battleship ?).

pic288374.jpg

61QZQl1GGAL.jpg

Connect Four was another game that i had one Christmas (much easier than playing Chess which was for the intelligent kids or adults) Draughts or Domino's was about my limit Smiley Very Happy

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps I had Connect 4 but didn't have Battleships, I liked the game tho. Cluedo was one of my faves.

Did anyone have a Viewmaster? Basically a poor mans 3D TV. Got it one Christmas with the Tom Baker Full Circle Doctor Who slides and another one I can't remember. The sort of toy you ought to be bored with after 5 mins but there was something quite mesmerising about it at the time.

image.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy I am very impressed indeed by your amazing collection of Polly Pockets there!!! Smiley Happy

Gosh, now do they being back happy memories or do they being back happy memories.....Smiley Happy

And OMG, GET OUT OF TOWN!!! I was only thinking about Viewmasters myself the other day!!! Smiley Wink

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User  Andy would have got that P.P pic from Google. 😉

Unless he once danced around in a pink tutu with golden wings, I doubt he had any. 😄

Now Polly Pockets were MY thing. My collection could match that pic! 😄