cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

Suicide Squad :-)

Why on earth do DC films keep getting horrible reviews from critics?? 

Like Batman V Superman, I really enjoyed this one 🙂

Spoiler

It was well casted, especially The Joker's and Harley Quinn's ''relationship''.
It had great action sequences, a killer soundtrack (I cannot get that 'sucker for pain' song out of my head 😄 ), 
I liked the humour with Harley Quinn a lot, I was really hoping she would quote "Puddin' " and "Mr. J" which she delivered 🙂

I really don't want to give much away but praising it too much seems like I will spoil it.

A little criticism:-

The storyline could have been a little bit stronger, it is hard to describe without really spoiling it.

Also, the introduction for each "hero" went on a bit too long. We know they are the bad guys so why go into too much detail about what their crimes were? 

All in all, 4 out of 5 stars from me 🙂

Sequel please! 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
28 REPLIES 28
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I saw Suicide Squad 4 times at the cinema and got the extended version for Xmas on blu ray.

Even my sister, who doesn't have good taste in films (hahaha kidding) said she liked it😉
commanda6
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

Why on earth do DC films keep getting horrible reviews from critics?? 

Like Batman V Superman, I really enjoyed this one 🙂

All in all, 4 out of 5 stars from me 🙂

Sequel please! 😄

Hi @caseyb1993

believe it or not I've only just noticed this topic Smiley Surprised

I have suicide squad on UHD Blu-ray that I haven't watched it yet

DC films keep getting bad reviews because these days. Film critics tend to look for different things to wider audiences. In other words, they are out of touch.  To be honest though, it's the wider audiences that DC comics and Warner Brothers needs to worry about. The reception from wider audiences has been okay for most films. In some cases reception has been good,

For example, the extended version of Batman versus Superman got quite a good reception from the wider audience

I do not work for Now . I am simply a Now customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

For example, the extended version of Batman versus Superman got quite a good reception from the wider audience

@commanda6 I thought the extended BvS played out much better than the theatrical version. But over 3 hours was way too long. 😞

@Anonymous User I saw it once in the cinema with my dad (meerkat movies ka-ching!) and we loved it. 🙂

Then we got the bluray just before Christmas and the extended version is much better. More Harley Quinn haha. 😄

Then I got the soundtrack as I was obsessed with the song "Heathens". 😄

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @commanda6 @Anonymous User @Andy

Guys

I guess that both Andy and Casey know where I stand on Batman Vs Superman,  and that is the 3 hour version made sense, the story flowed, while the theatrical release was disjointed.

As for the Suicide Squad theatrical release, you had good actors, good action, some bad editing (Joker was almost completely cut out) and a story that could use a bit of extra work. As for the extended version, it needed a bit of extra work on the story.

Why do DC films come in for so much criticism?

Well, I think there are three main reasons:-

1) A film release date is scheduled long before a script is written, therefore the finished product contains a rushed scripts filled with incomplete and badly thought out ideas.

2)  WB/DC films are written and produced by people who do not come from the super hero comic genre and so do not understand what is expected of them, i.e. they use their own  past experience from the film industry.

3) Some of you guys may remember that super hero / science fiction films and shows of the past were treated as cheap jokes, nothing worth bothering about.  I believe that some of those people were running the production of WB/DC films and probably, at the time, thought the genre was nothing more than a short term fad.

However, now that they see Marvel can not only make money from the genre but keep long term loyalty from it's fans while getting a new generation of fans WB/DC have changed tact and have now put in place a team, with backgrounds in the super hero / science fiction field, that can make better films which most people will want to watch.

The new raft of films they have planned will, i.e. Wonder Woman, Justice League, Flash and the Batman, will prove whether or not WB/DC has finally got it right.

UK Bob

PS. May have gone a little bit overboard on this one Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue Smiley Tongue

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 tbh I didn't really notice much difference between the extended and cinema versions of BvS on first watch, I had to look up online to see what they'd added. Does that make me bad? 😞

As for SS the extended version was definitely better. I know you're dying to hear my in-in-depth detailed review, so here goes

Joker good. Harley great. Enchantress eye-candy.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy I'm looking forward to see how these new films will play out.

To be honest, I am still not impressed with the Justice League trailer. 😞

This may sound silly, but it just reminds of a scenario like how Top Cat would meet his gang in the alley. Smiley Indifferent

top-cat-e1431699049441

Also the line that Ezra Miller delivers as Flash "I need friends." To me, that is a cheap line.

But like before, I may be proven wrong. 😉

@Andy The first time I saw the extended version, I did notice a few myself. What I usually do is watch the original one night and then the extended a few nights later to see what I can pick up. I like a challenge! 🙂

Enchantress was pretty good, a bit goofy but a good villain. 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

You said, "....not impressed with the Justice League trailer.......it just reminds of a scenario like how Top Cat would meet his gang in the alley".  Now that you mention it, I can see it too.

However, I'm comforted by the fact they what we are looking at is a far from finished product and it could all change between now and the time the movie is released.

As for Ezra Miller's line, as Flash,"I need friends" being cheap, I think the line is taken out of context because currently we have no context, I think that trailer was produced purely for laughs and nothing more.

Catch you later.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

What I usually do is watch the original one night and then the extended a few nights later to see what I can pick up. I like a challenge! 🙂

That's dedication above and beyond @caseyb1993 I salute you! 😉

image.jpeg

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Andy ...and then I use Doctor Google for anything I missed. 😉
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6

I've heard the UHD version of SS was disappointing, probably due to the mainly dark scenes with little chance for the HDR to really impact. Be interested to hear your thoughts when you watch it.