cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Smart TV's

It's something that keeps coming up, I would have thought that you would want coverage of NowTV to be pretty widespread. So why restrict the app to only LG?

Most smart TV's have the ability to play the NowTV streams. It's not a technical reason and for market share I would have thought that if there are no technical reasons why you do not permit access on other TV brands? It makes financial sense that the easier it is to get a NowTV stream the better for Sky? 

Even if there was a secure URL that could be used to access the IPTV stream we could do the bloody thing ourselves!

Come on Sky, I thought you wanted to make money? If you make it more 'faffy' to use NowTV then it might not be worth customers actually paying to use the service. You know, if you're not interested in what your customers want.

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @Anonymous User

Interesting point!

Well, we're always looking for new ways to improve our service and you may never know - one day it may even be possible 😉

Birgit

NOW TV Team

Anonymous User
Not applicable

NOWtv have been saying for some time that it may be available in the future. I'm personally fed up of waiting and have a choppy picture on all devices apart from the NOWtv box so will not be renewing at the end of this month.

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

NOWtv have been saying for some time that it may be available in the future. I'm personally fed up of waiting and have a choppy picture on all devices apart from the NOWtv box so will not be renewing at the end of this month.

Personally, I don't have any problems accessing and playing Now TV content on either of my LG televisions...

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I've tried PS4 and AppleTV and I get perfectly fine images but long slow sweeping shots in a movie for instance are just a bit choppy and it's annoying.

NOWtv's solution was to move the devices closer to the router which is nonsense. Nothing else performs like this on these devices, Prime, etc. all ok, streaming from Mac, etc.  Just the NOWtv apps on these devices whilst fine on the NOWtv box (white).

Simon

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User wrote:

I've tried PS4 and AppleTV and I get perfectly fine images but long slow sweeping shots in a movie for instance are just a bit choppy and it's annoying.

This most probably happens because the majority of Now TV content runs at 50Hz and your PS4 and AppleTV have their video output options set to 60Hz!

Cheers

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'll try that, thank you. Shame technical couldn't offer a solution!

Anonymous User
Not applicable
Spoiler
That's hardly the same though is it. "One day" maybe never.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

LG had EXCLUSIVE deal... LG has allways gone out thier way to bag Exclusive and First run technology...

LG has continued to out do other brands constantly with new tech and services being first on their sets...

With past gen HDTV web os being Ditched and killed off with no updates... 2015 marks the end for most New HDTVs using their own custom Oses requiring SDKs for each brand...

Sony, Philips and toshiba ( and the thosands of rebrands toshiba make...) are all now going ANDROID TV... that 3 makers running a single 1 standard on New HDTV OS

[video]

Along with the nexus player that makes android TV a high return choice for app releases... 

Others are going it alone.. 

Panasonic have agreed to join BBC with Freeview play OS HDTV and Firefox OS HDTVs (Firefox OS is FREE) 

Samsung are going it alone with thier own OS that requires their specific SDK and thier license to work on their new HDTVs ( This costs app developers. )

It reamins to be seen if NowTV will Upgrade their android app to an Android TV interface but Sideloading the current APK does work on the Nexus TV player... 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No now tv app for my phillips smart android tv. Just signed up for the lot with a view to continuing but now found out cannot watch on my main device. No continuing here NOW pull your finger out