Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Guys

I'm not so much worried that AI will end the human race terminator style, it's more like some malevolence group of people will take the (spy) data collected and weaponise it, just like they recently did with Facebook data.

Dangerous people of "ill intent" will use what we consider to be harmless data to seize power and change the world to their vision of what they think it should be.  

I may sound alarmist but right now there are "well funded" American  extremists travelling around Europe, financing groups with similar political views in order to lay the foundations of future change. In order to make that change they will have to find out what will make the population of each country vote for their brand of people, and for that they need data.

So guys, I don't fear AI itself, I just fear what evil men will do once they have collected all the data that AI can so easily provide.

Bad News Bob

PS. BN Bob will now retire and UK Bob will be back for the next posting.

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi Guys

Right now, it's about 2.45am and I'm listening to some smooth and relaxing music at a quiet volume level that cannot be heard on the outside of my room, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

It's just simple little pleasures like this that makes life worthwhile, no stress, no bother just a cold drink, some cool sweet music of love and love lost.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Guys

Right now, it's about 2.45am and I'm listening to some smooth and relaxing music at a quiet volume level that cannot be heard on the outside of my room, and I am thoroughly enjoying it.

It's just simple little pleasures like this that makes life worthwhile, no stress, no bother just a cold drink, some cool sweet music of love and love lost.

UK Bob

There's something magic and soothing listening to music late at night when the rest of the 'normal' people Smiley LOL are tucked up in their beds.......sweltering in the heat Smiley LOL

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User @ukbobboy @caseyb1993 If i dissapear in the near future contact Amazon and ask for a return please. Alexa will be my downfall. It's 1984 all over again in my house at the minute haha.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User @ukbobboy @caseyb1993 If i dissapear in the near future contact Amazon and ask for a return please. Alexa will be my downfall. It's 1984 all over again in my house at the minute haha.

Would that be a next day return with Prime or 2nd class post @Tony-D?

1984 you say, any S*xcrime going on then? Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @caseyb1993

You know Guys,

Tony's post reminded me of this:

Brazil (1985).jpg

If you think of this film, when it was made (1985), it's over riding theme and the fact that Tony wants to get back from wherever he's vanished to, I think this picture works.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm loving this thread and I'm particularly enjoying the thought processes of a certain Mr @ukbobboy

Smiley LOL

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

Would that be a next day return with Prime or 2nd class post @Tony-D?

1984 you say, any S*xcrime going on then? Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Haha Prime please. Not that i know of, i'm stuck here attatched to a computer writing words i have no intention of writing. Weird world i'm living in. Also @ukbobboy That image creeps me out, i think it might be about time to come back to present day 😛

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993

Hey Tony

Sorry Man, didn't mean to creep you out but you did put that image in my head.

Ideas Emoji.jpg

Saying that, just like Robert, I've been called nuts and worse in my time, so no biggie.

Exploding Head.jpg

Putting all that aside, my mini-amp finally arrived today, which I bought to power a set of extra speakers I got earlier this year, and right now I am putting it through it's paces.

And so far I am pleased with the results, I have just finished a favourite old school album and now trying something a bit more modern, i.e. released within the past 10 - 15 years.

I think my adventures in finding kit to play my favourite sounds should now be complete. (Well, unless and until I am struck by another musical itch/dumb idea.)

Music Emoji.jpg

UK (Feel the Bass) Bob 

Drops Mic.jpg

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy @Anonymous User @Tony-D

If you like a bit of grunge, then I totally recommend Alice In Chains. My dad and I love them and their new album is out this month. 

Since I ordered from Amazon, daddio gets the CD and I get the mp3 version. win win! 

If you don't like grunge, then forget I said anything. 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂