Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D

Hi Guys, especially Robert

I was just wondering Robert, how are you getting on with your hi-fi upgrade?

The reason I ask is because I've been bitten by the upgrade bug again and, unlike when I was a rash youth, I'm putting in as much research as possible, which wasn't available back in the day. Plus, I'm taking financial baby steps, i.e. not shelling out "bank account busting amounts" that will hurt.

At the moment, I've chosen the extra cables I will need and I'm still checking out the amp I think I am after.

Don't know if what I have in mind will work but I'll let everyone know if it does or not.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hi @ukbobboy et al

The upgrade has went on the back burner for a week or two. We went away for a few days break and came back to TWO family weddings, one of which we'd totally forgotten about. We're both cream crackered at the moment but I've got the go ahead Smiley Wink to peruse some further work to my system. 

I've managed to add the extra speakers but haven't had time to tone them into what I feel is the right sound for my ears. That is something I plan to work on this incoming week. I suppose I'm a tad cautious on what steps to take next seeing as my trusty old system has served me so well for so long in its current state of worthiness.

I've been thinking of retiring the old dear, the hi-fi, not the wife, and preserving it for posterity, giving me the freedom to begin a brand new project, something I probably wouldn't have even considered had it not been for this thread. At least I can blame you @ukbobboy when the missus starts dishing out the grief again Smiley LOL

PS. I've started on the Evis remasters but it's going to take a bit of penny pinching to replace them all. I will get there though, some day Smiley LOL

Keep us in the loop with your own project. Best of luck with it.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Robert

I must admit, I enjoyed reading your post, especially the paragraph, "I've been thinking of retiring the old dear.....", that one made me laugh. 

As for you're hi-fi, it may be better to get stuff repaired or refurbished rather than buying a totally new system, because from what you've said you like the tone and quality you're getting from your system. To buy a system nowadays with the same tone and quality may cost a small fortune.

I've been burnt by expensive hi-fi upgrades in the past, that's why I am doing small, inexpensive but well researched steps before laying down any cash. 

As for getting grief, naw you can't blame me for that, I'm innocent.Innocent.jpg

We're just couple of guys having a beer and talking about hi-fi.Beer.png

Still, I advise caution (on both fronts). 

Caution.jpg

Good luck.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

Thanks for quenching my thirst 😀

I make my worst decisions after a few 😂

I think starting over and putting my trusty system to the side would be more than I could bear. It has been with me through good times and bad.

I don't think I could get the same build quality nowadays.

As for being innocent? Hmmm!!! You'll likely be mentioned in my divorce hearing 😂😂😂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Nope. No joke @ukbobboy

I had friends bring their 'skipping' records over to my house and I'd use the 2p balancing act to 'cut' the mis-pressed grooves a little deeper to bring back the music and repair the 'jumping' phenomenon. You could also do it by applying a slight bit of pressure with your hand but you needed a rock steady hand for that Smiley LOL

BTW, I don't blame the youth of today either, it's just the way the world has become, and unfortunately they don't have the privelege of living in what I consider to have been more carefree times. The pressures they are put under nowadays can be very difficult, something I can appreciate as a parent.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good post @ukbobboy

The younger generation unfortunately need everything instantly and don't have the patience for the better/finer things in life. It's not about quality anymore Smiley Sad

I do listen to music on an mp3 player when travelling etc (just had a vision of my first Sony Walkman flash before my eyes) but at home it MUST be vinyl. I do feel encouraged in the recent uplift in vinyl sales Smiley Happy Maybe the masses will one day realise what it is they are missing out on (one can hope, right?) Smiley LOL

I should add my daughter is convinced I never left the 1980s Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

Good post @ukbobboy

The younger generation unfortunately need everything instantly and don't have the patience for the better/finer things in life. It's not about quality anymore Smiley Sad

I do listen to music on an mp3 player when travelling etc (just had a vision of my first Sony Walkman flash before my eyes) but at home it MUST be vinyl. I do feel encouraged in the recent uplift in vinyl sales Smiley Happy Maybe the masses will one day realise what it is they are missing out on (one can hope, right?) Smiley LOL

I should add my daughter is convinced I never left the 1980s Smiley LOLSmiley LOL

@Anonymous User My dad has every record ever produced on Vinyl and CD by the one and only Gary Numan, and a few of them are signed. I was brought up listening to the 80s exclusively and i'm thankful for it haha.

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Good post @ukbobboy

@Anonymous User My dad has every record ever produced on Vinyl and CD by the one and only Gary Numan, and a few of them are signed. I was brought up listening to the 80s exclusively and i'm thankful for it haha.

I brainwashed my daughter with the genuis that is Madness Smiley Happy to the extent she now attends their concerts with me. We met them a couple of times and they treated her like royalty (she has a sight impairment). 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@Anonymous User wrote:

@Tony-D wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

Good post @ukbobboy

I brainwashed my daughter with the genuis that is Madness Smiley Happy to the extent she now attends their concerts with me. We met them a couple of times and they treated her like royalty (she has a sight impairment). 

Beautiful stuff @Anonymous User Always nice when you meet a role model and they are exactly as you were expecting. 🙂

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

I bought an Echo dot in the Argos sale to go with my Amazon music subscription. Where has this thing been all my life?? 😄

@caseyb1993 is that because it's useful, or just because it speaks to you in a sexy voice and does anything you tell it too? 😉

If it could do this

image.jpeg

I'd buy one as well!