Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

and autocorrect has substituted perused for perished!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Still got two items of equipment that are now arond 25 years old that i purchased in the early nineties which still sound fantastic to my ears today and i have never had the itch to upgrade (Linn LP 12 record deck with Linn Lingo power supply used in my main HiFi system together with a pair of Mission 753 floor standing speakers which i use in my home cinema setup).

Photos below taken from the internet just for visual purposes only and are not my actual equipment.

249666-linn_sondek_lp12_lingo_ittok_cirkus_trampolin.jpg

2f4e98042ce637083d3a3f7ecb263cb5.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

Unfortunately Guys

My equipment is long gone, and to try and re-buy  my stuff now would cost thousands of pounds, for example to re-buy my SME Pick Up/Tone Arm would cost £395.00.

I hate to think how much the rest of my old Hi-Fi kit would cost.

And @4268

Back in the day, when I was about 5 or 6, my parents did buy me two 78 rpm records, one was "Diana" by Paul Anka and I can't remember the second one, other than my aunt accidentally broke it (I cried at the time).

Sony Cassette Deck TC-137SD 01.jpg

My Sony Hi-Fi stereo cassette deck, it could take 4 types of tape, Ferric (normal), Chrome, FerriChrome and TDK Super Avlyn.

JVC SEA-10 (5 Band) Hi-Fi Stereo Equalizer.jpg 

My 5-Band Stereo Hi-Fi Equalizer.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Totally forgot about my first proper record deck that i bought during the late eighties which i still have stored in my cupboard and haven't really used apart from the occasional test since purchasing my Linn LP12 back in 1990.

Revolver deck with Linn Basik Plus arm and Audio Technica Cartridge (again pictures taken from the internet for illustration purposes only)..

529184-revolver_turntable_linn_basik_lv_x_arm_grace_f9e_cart_exc_cond.jpg

linn_basik_lvx_plus_1.jpg

182527943_audio-technica-at-110e-cartridge-in-superb-condition.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

I'm jealous that you've managed to hold on to your system, the moment my kids came along and started to toddle, my Hi-Fi system became items of immense interest for tiny inquisitive hands, my Hi-Fi's time was up. 

Still, thinking about it, when I want to listen to some music all I have to  do now is press a few buttons, but back then I had to virtually go through a ritual to retrieve my delicate albums from their protective covers, place the vinyl platter on the alter, which is my turntable, turn or my amp, my equalizer and finally my turntable, then place the tone arm on the record, after making sure the turntable has spun up to the selected speed and then start listening to my music.

After the music has finished, do all the above in reverse, what a rigmarole.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy @4268

Hi again Schnapps

The guy running the HiViNyws YouTube channel said that the difference between listening to music via MP3's and a (well balanced) Hi-Fi system is like looking at a very detailed (flat) picture and being in a 3-D scene.

I must admit, I agree with him.

Also, buying a good Hi-Fi system nowadays does not have to cost a second mortgage but, I believe, it's still going to be expensive.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi UK Bob,

I always tend to keep most of my HiFI and AV gear, just can't be bothered to sell on or take to the AV graveyard scrap yard, i am bit of a junk hoarder in that respect (saying that most of my gear was top notch back then).

Don't play much vinyl nowadays and mainly stream Spotify via my squeeze boxes doted around the house, much more convenient or maybe i am getting lazy in my old age without the effort of getting off the couch to change the record sides.

Saying that i do miss looking at the artwork on record covers (some of the covers to me are a piece of art and i appreciate more than the majority of the paintings you see in modern art galleries).  

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

You said, "i do miss looking at the artwork on record covers", I do so totally agree with that sentiment. Buying an album was not just buying music, it was buying the artist's visual concept of his/her/their musical work. That's why album covers had to be preserved and protected, just like the music contained within those vinyl tracks.

Still, those were the days.

UK Bob 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

When vinyl was king, i wish now that i invested in some vinyl picture discs (instead of the standard black LP's).

I used spend ages in the record stores drooling over these.

I am sure the picture disc LP's are going for silly money nowadays must checkout Ebay ?

Unfortunately the additional extra price of these was out of my price range at the time Smiley Sad

This is the only picture disc LP that i have ever owned which i have still got somewhere in storage.

magnum-on_a_storytellers_night.jpg

Never been one for 45 single records or pre recorded cassette tapes LP was my media of choice Smiley Happy

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps wrote:

@ukbobboy

When vinyl was king, i wish now that i invested in some vinyl picture discs (instead of the standard black LP's).

Hi @schnapps. Nice to see you back on the forum again...

Picture discs eh? After the release of 'The Cars' first two singles (My Best Friends Girl and Just What I Needed), I became an avid collector of 7" singles. So much so, I reckon I have just about every 7" picture disc single released from 1978 to 1986. Including every 'shaped' 7" picture disc single and most 12" singles. I've got hundreds of them.

I've got a fair few albums too, including Sgt Pepper which has recently gained some interest 😉

However, the biggest problem with all picture discs is they don't sound very good, as they contain a lot of surface noise. And neither do any transparent or coloured discs Smiley Surprised

Cheers