Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy It really depends on what I'm in the music mood for. 

My favourite genres are Rock, Grunge (like Alice In Chains whom I've mentioned before),Electronic (we share Daft Punk there 🙂 ). I like to listen to these when on the bus going to work. 

I'm really into the Piano Rock band, Keane. The song "Bedshaped" is one of my top three tracks. You should check that song out one day. 🙂

My absolute favourite band though, has to be rock band, Evanescence. Usually, if I'm streaming an album on deezer, I tend to skip songs but with Evanescence, I let each one play. That's how much I love them. 🙂

I've really got my dad's taste in music but if you saw me/met me personally, you'd think I'd be into like One Direction or something. 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Tonight I'm listening to Rag N' Bone Man as the concert is tomorrow night.

I'm a massive Madness fan and have been since their early days so I stick them on quite a bit. I've done the whole 'Madness London Tour' as I called it when we visited all the sites synonymous with the band and their music.

I had quite a liking for Erasure in their early days, I think I saw them live about a dozen times, great shows and Andy Bell is a 'hoot' on stage. If I'm looking something uplifting I put them on and it always transports me back to the days I was carefree (and single) Smiley Tongue

On the bus tomorrow to the show I'll have something realy LOUD blowing out my eardrums. The bus, with headphones of course, is one place I delight in cranking up the volume. Only thing is sometimes my daughter has to nudge me and tell me to stop singing or waving my arms about Smiley LOL I once received a (very embarrassing) round of applause on a bus for head banging, while seated, the whole way through Iron Maiden's Run To The Hills Smiley Embarassed

On the bus it's usually either Meatloaf, Alice Cooper, The Script, Iron Maiden, or a compilation of tracks I've done of music best listened to at crazy volume levels Smiley LOL

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@caseyb1993 wrote:

@ukbobboy It really depends on what I'm in the music mood for. 

My favourite genres are Rock, Grunge (like Alice In Chains whom I've mentioned before),Electronic (we share Daft Punk there 🙂 ). I like to listen to these when on the bus going to work. 

I'm really into the Piano Rock band, Keane. The song "Bedshaped" is one of my top three tracks. You should check that song out one day. 🙂

My absolute favourite band though, has to be rock band, Evanescence. Usually, if I'm streaming an album on deezer, I tend to skip songs but with Evanescence, I let each one play. That's how much I love them. 🙂

I've really got my dad's taste in music but if you saw me/met me personally, you'd think I'd be into like One Direction or something. 😄

I've been to Westlife and Boyzone with my daughter (she's all grown up now but disabled and still lives with us) and I was delighted when I got her into Madness (and through her I got to meet the band even though they were MY heroes first) Smiley LOL She got me into The Script and I love going to see them. There's a story behind our love of The Script and maybe one day I'll share it Smiley Happy

We're going back to see Boyzones new tour in January.

I've been to see everything from Chris de Burgh right through to Metallica and everything in between. I love the buzz of a live gig regardless of who might be playing Smiley Very Happy My daughter keeps me young as we share those nights together.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5
@Anonymous User enjoy the concert!
It's interesting, that the music I like and I've never actually gone to a concert. 😄
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Thanks @caseyb1993

I know you'd love the buzz of being at a concert. My first was T'Pau which was held in a leisure centre Smiley LOL There was no stopping me after that Smiley Happy

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Now I have to know that story! hehe My story is that I just grew up with my dad's music so I learnt to love a powerful guitar.A guitar tells its own story! 😉

The same with his movie tastes and how we just love horror movies! I admit i don't really watch that many like I used too but I still listen to the music. 🙂

Im not really a person that likes crowds so I wouldn't be sure about going to concerts themselves. Maybe one day though. 😉

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D @schnapps

Hey Robert

You said, "...it always transports me back to the days I was carefree (and single)."  You are lucky your wife does not read your posts Smiley Happy Smiley Happy 

Wife with rolling pin.jpg

Still, you like your music loud, I like mine from low to medium loud and right now I am listening to some "old skool smooth stuff ". 

You know, I have been told by friends and relatives that my taste in music is too sedate, that I should get into some of the rough stuff (can't do peace and love all the time).

But I say, "What's wrong with Silly Love Songs?"

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@caseyb1993

Maybe one day the story will be revealed Smiley Wink

I understand how you feel in crowds as my wife feels exactly the same way, hence the reason it's just myself and our daughter at concerts.

An outdoor concert could be the best for you as there is always plenty of room available allowing you to find a suitable space you would be most comfortable in Smiley Happy

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy

Some of these days she's going to catch me out Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

The beauty of our love of music is the many different styles we are interested in, and how we can respect others for their choices (so long as it's not country music LOL). It would be boring if we all listened to the same stuff. How could we gently coax others into giving 'our' favourites a listen if we all followed the same stuff to begin with?

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Casey

I guess, like you, I'm not too fond of crowds either, even though I been to one I've never had the inclination to go again.

Right now, I'm gonna get another cold drink while my music plays on.

UK Bob