Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Football for you, anime catchup on Vice for me. 😄

Glad you enjoyed R&B man! 💖

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Guys

Tony, you're a techno man, that's cool, as for the bank holiday I'm gonna get several cold drinks, watch a few films, play some of my favourite tunes and chill (probably get a pizza as well). 

Casey, you've got the right idea.

Robert, just one question, did Rag'n'Bone Man concert songs last longer than the same songs on his album?

Right now, I've got a few recommendations to check out and some domestics on my agenda.

Later peeps.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Casey

When you posted, "Glad you enjoyed R&B man!", I actually read it as "Glad you enjoy Rhythm & Blues, Man".

I was wondering, where did that come from?

But I finally realised that you meant, "Glad you enjoyed (the) Rag 'n' Bone Man('s concert").

I am definitely getting old. 

Older Man 2.png

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Guys

Tony, you're a techno man, that's cool, as for the bank holiday I'm gonna get several cold drinks, watch a few films, play some of my favourite tunes and chill (probably get a pizza as well). 

Casey, you've got the right idea.

Robert, just one question, did Rag'n'Bone Man concert songs last longer than the same songs on his album?

Right now, I've got a few recommendations to check out and some domestics on my agenda.

Later peeps.

UK Bob

That was the only disappointment of the night. A couple of songs were slightly longer, a couple he added in a bit of rap (which I detest), but the rest were just about the same length as they are on the original recordings. Saying that he's definitely worth going to see/hear but with another album under his belt he'd have more material to choose from. He did a non-stop 75 minute set with no encore which is a bit on the short side for a headline act.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Haha. 😄

The key pad on my tablet auto corrects a lot of words so I just shortened it as I was too lazy to change it lol. 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Robert

I got around to checking out a few tunes by "Bagatelle" and, yeah, they do sound good, only thing is they remind me of Level 42, (you may remember them) an English band from the same era.

In fact, for me (and as I'm listening to The Very Best of Level 42 right now) both 

Level 42 - The Very Best of.jpg

groups seem to fill the same musical space.

Music Speaker.jpg

My hearing maybe going Smiley Frustrated but that's just the way it is at the momentSmiley Happy

Gotta couple more albums I wanna buy to check out Smiley Very Happy

Later peeps.

UK Bob 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Funny enough my first ever CD that i bought from HMV in 1985 was Level 42 World Machine (back in 85 where there was only a small amount of CD's in the corner of the store on the display racks).

That above memory is still fresh in my mind, where i was excited to play my first ever CD on my newly purchased Phillip's CD HiFi system bought the week before from Dixon'sSmiley Happy

Always been an early adopter of technology (which has cost me an arm and a leg over the years).

Got wiser and tighter with my money has i got older and don't tend to early adopt technology anymore and wait until prices comes down to a reasonable price point.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D

Hi Schnapps

You know, you triggered a memory of when I bought my first Level 42 single back in 1980, in fact is was a 12" (30 cm for those younger forum members) 45 rpm, Love Meeting Love, a great 6 minute + song.

As for new technology, I'm like you and learned my lesson not to get caught up in (what proves to be) an expensive ride on nothing but hype (vapour-type promises and half truths).

I now take a more measured approach and wait until the tech is established and, usually, the price then becomes justifiable.

You see, there will always be users who are eager to test out new stuff, regardless of cost, so within a year or so the new item will have been updated, due to early users feed back, or vanished from the market because in did not work as promised.

And that's the only time I go looking to buy, which has worked out for me so far.

Later.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @robert1997 @caseyb1993 @Tony-D

Hi again Schnapps (& Robert)

You know, our little conversation, and a past one with Robert, about tech, clicked together and sparked of a brain chain reaction, I started to wonder, how much money have I spent on my music system's upgrade? 

Well, I totted it up and it came to @ £82.00.  Was it worth it? Hell yeah. And would have cost more if I didn't get that £20 discount.

As I sit here typing and listening, I believe the much younger, gullible and naive me would have spent another £200 plus to get the sound I have now. However, although my current sound is not perfect, I am going to resist spending any more trying to reach or achieve the unreachable/unachievable.

I gonna try to be cool (and with a cold drink) Smiley Wink

UK Bob

PS. Hey Robert, nothing wrong with a bit of "Rap"   Smiley Happy

Holding Mic.jpg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Robert

I got around to checking out a few tunes by "Bagatelle" and, yeah, they do sound good, only thing is they remind me of Level 42, (you may remember them) an English band from the same era.

In fact, for me (and as I'm listening to The Very Best of Level 42 right now) both 

Level 42 - The Very Best of.jpg

groups seem to fill the same musical space.

Music Speaker.jpg

My hearing maybe going Smiley Frustrated but that's just the way it is at the momentSmiley Happy

Gotta couple more albums I wanna buy to check out Smiley Very Happy

Later peeps.

UK Bob 

Indeed I do remember Level 42. Now you mention it there is definitely a similarity between them and Bagatelle. Was never a big fan of Level 42 but had been watching them recently on the old Top of the Pops shows on BBC4.