Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

310 REPLIES 310
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@schnapps @Anonymous User @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

Nice to hear from all of you, I'm gonna post my replies in the order your posts were received, here we go:

1) Schnapps

Glad your you've got a music system/hi-fi that's lasted you 9 years, I don't know if I could last that long. As for me, I call my system a "music system", rather than hi-fi, because although it produces smooth and detailed music, and is about 95% of where I want it to be, chasing that extra 5% would be disproportionately expensive and I don't want to chase the dragon.

Saying that, I was looking at some SVS sub-woofers on YouTube and Amazon and all I can say is the price of those “puppies” is stratospheric.

2) Robert

I kinda guessed you were busy doing domestics and stuff, i.e. the life and sacrifices of a family man, I know coz' I've been there, especially when I had to give up hi-fi and enjoying music.

3) Tony

I'm sure you've heard the saying about “all work and no play.....”, plus as a young guy I'm sure you must take some time out to just “chill” (not sure chill is still used....but you know what I mean).

Well guys, I'm gonna be controversial here and say that I'm not a fan of Spotify, I've liked it and heard some music that's been completely new to me but that's only encouraged me to buy more digital albums. I guess that's because of two main things:

a) It reminds me of the time, way back when, I was a radio listener (bad ol' days when "choice" was scarce).

b) I just LOVE listening to albums, especially now when my favourites are only a few button presses away. 

As a matter coincidence, I've actually bought a chill out album for the first time, ever.

Here it is:Enigma - 1990 aD Album cover.jpg

Enigma's MCMXC a.D.

Just for fun (no cheating by looking it up) can anyone say what year the album's title refers to?

Nice album, love those chanting Georgian monks, but at just 40 minutes it could have done with another 10 minutes worth. 

Anyway, and until next time.

Peace Out

UK Bob

I'm good at Roman numerals Smiley Happy It's 1990

I found some interesting reading on the album here https://trance.news/12-mind-blowing-facts-about-enigmas-classic-debut-album-mcmxc-ad/

Re Spotify. I wouldn't call myself a 'fan' as such but it is definitely a great tool for finding new music.

I also prefer albums (vinyl is king in my listening room) as my method of choice.

Your comments re radio listening just gave me a warm flashback to my younger days sitting with a tape recorder and seperate radio tuned into Radio 1 for the weekly Top 40 show. Sadly very few of my original tapes exist but I was able a few years ago to use a programme called Audacity to save most of them digitally.

Those were the days Smiley Happy

Thanks for the memory jolt @ukbobboy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps @caseyb1993

Hi again Guys

Robert

You know, I too had a lot of tapes and, like you, I used to tape stuff of the radio but I gave up on that when comparing those music radio tapes with tapes recorded from vinyl, there was just no comparison.

Plus, I used to tape radio 4 plays, especially the 1.5 hour Saturday 8.00pm dramas, those were very good. Mind you, I don't know if those dramas are still on.

Gosh, I've just remembered, I also used to tape a 30 minute weekly sci-fi play called Earthsearch, that was a brilliant series. I'm not sure but I think the BBC only ever made two series of this brilliant sci-fi drama. 

Here's some more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsearch

However, some time later I lost all my tapes in a home fire.

BTW, cheers for that Enigma link I found it very informative.

Tony (& Schnapps)

I was thinking that because Schnapps has been so very helpful around this forum, especially problem solving for all those new Now TV users who have found themselves "up the creek without a paddle", then maybe Now TV should give him a one-off show of appreciation, like a one month Entertainment or Cinema pass.

Also, I think your bosses will inclined to say "yes" if they think of this as "Good PR" for their company.

Peace Out

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps @caseyb1993

Hi again Guys

Robert

You know, I too had a lot of tapes and, like you, I used to tape stuff of the radio but I gave up on that when comparing those music radio tapes with tapes recorded from vinyl, there was just no comparison.

Plus, I used to tape radio 4 plays, especially the 1.5 hour Saturday 8.00pm dramas, those were very good. Mind you, I don't know if those dramas are still on.

Gosh, I've just remembered, I also used to tape a 30 minute weekly sci-fi play called Earthsearch, that was a brilliant series. I'm not sure but I think the BBC only ever made two series of this brilliant sci-fi drama. 

Here's some more info:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earthsearch

However, some time later I lost all my tapes in a home fire.

BTW, cheers for that Enigma link I found it very informative.

Tony (& Schnapps)

I was thinking that because Schnapps has been so very helpful around this forum, especially problem solving for all those new Now TV users who have found themselves "up the creek without a paddle", then maybe Now TV should give him a one-off show of appreciation, like a one month Entertainment or Cinema pass.

Also, I think your bosses will inclined to say "yes" if they think of this as "Good PR" for their company.

Peace Out

UK Bob

I can't believe your not a fan of Spotify @ukbobboy 😕

It's my most used app and program by far. I think i'm stuck there though as i have like 300 hand crafted playlists and i coudln't be bothered to transfer them ti another service. Thanks for the nice track btw, really really great sounding track.

P.s I'll do more than that for @schnapps I'll just have to get in contact with someone tomorrow morning 🙂 🙂

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy @Anonymous User

In my HiFi setup i went from a Denon cassette player to a Sony Mini Disc Player.

Really liked the Mini Disc format for making recordings for my Car Mini Disc player and portable Mini Disc player on the go, before mp3 players and ipods were around.

Still have both separates in my HiFi rack and have quite a few blank cassettes and mini discs unused lying around the house, where i haven't used either media formats in years.

Also it's very rare nowadays if i play a LP or CD.

I also used too tape the Top 40 charts on a Sunday and did a few cassette love song compilation recordings when i was a love struck teenager where i would give the cassettes to girlfriends back in the day Smiley Happy

Like @Tony-D i am a big fan of Spotify for my music and i do enjoy watching YouTube music videos just to reminisce my younger days when clubbing Smiley Very Happy

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @ukbobboy @Anonymous User

In my HiFi setup i went from a Denon cassette player to a Sony Mini Disc Player.

Really liked the Mini Disc format for making recordings for my Car Mini Disc player and portable Mini Disc player on the go, before mp3 players and ipods were around.

Still have both separates in my HiFi rack and have quite a few blank cassettes and mini discs unused lying around the house, where i haven't used either media formats in years.

Also it's very rare nowadays if i play a LP or CD.

I also used too tape the Top 40 charts on a Sunday and did a few cassette love song compilation recordings when i was a love struck teenager where i would give the cassettes to girlfriends back in the day Smiley Happy

Like @Tony-D i am a big fan of Spotify for my music and i do enjoy watching YouTube music videos just to reminisce my younger days when clubbing Smiley Very Happy

@schnapps I think i spend way too mcuh time on youtube as it is lol. I spend at least an hour evey night watching stuff. I've created over 400 playlists of random videos i can fall asleep to. Also, have the hacked version whihc enables me to play the videos while my phone is locked 🙂 It's called YouTube Vanced incase your wondering and can be found on github. I've asked about those vouchers today too 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D

Hi again Guys

Just want to bounce a few things around, kinda flesh out some of my (daft) thinking process:

Tony,

You like Spotify and YouTube, well, I don't dislike Spotify, it's just not the first (or even the second) thing I think of when I want to listen to music.  I find it somewhat restrictive, for example, when I like certain songs I will also search extensively for alternative versions of those same songs.

A prime example is this album I've just bought:

Maze - The Greatest Hit - Lifelines Volume 1.jpg

I already have all the songs on different albums but the versions on this particular record are extended, mixed differently and has guest artists.

I suspect that my particular quirk would be hard to cater for, hence my continuing purchase of albums.

As for YouTube, I use it to catch up on international news (which can be depressing at times) some music and, I think above all, for technical news and reviews.

Schnapps

Yeah, I also remember the mini CD disc, and even the mini recordable DVD discs, but those things came and went pretty quickly, I really don't think they had any market traction, no sustainable reason to buy them.

Besides, nowadays physical media is bothersome and occupies too much space. It now takes an enthusiast on a labour of love to stick with such media, something I now lack.

Gosh, I sound miserable Smiley Indifferent  but I'm really not coz' I'm currently jammin' to the album pictured above Smiley Happy 

Robert,

Happy Music Emoji.jpg

Keep on truckin', coz' as soon as you hit your turntable again with your upgraded system you'll be back in the groove.

Man, I do sound sooo old fashioned Smiley LOL

Peace out.

UK (Back in Time) Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@schnapps

I have Spotify on the Streaming Stick+ with the new Roku OS 9 updated just now.

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/roku-os-9

https://blog.roku.com/en-gb/os-9-release-notes

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

You know, my Roku 3 (model 4200X) has not received an upgrade to it's OS yet, my device is still running OS 8.1 build 4145-04.

It's not that I'm "chomping at the bit" for Roku's OS 9.0 but I'm "hoping against hope" that their updated OS will (possibly) allow me to download some of the latest apps that are now available.

UK Bob 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

My Roku Streaming Stick Plus had the new OS 9 software added a few weeks ago, where I have noticed the Spotify App is now back on the Roku platform.

The Amazon App has had a new refresh and the UI layout now looks like the Amazon Prime App on my Panasonic Smart TV more inline with the Fire TV layout.

What extra new Apps are you looking forward too on the Roku OS 9 ?

I am guessing you have already tried the forced software update in the hidden secret menu on your Roku 3 player to see if OS 9 is available to download ?

Also read on a couple of websites that Roku are looking to move away from their current tile block App user interface and are testing various new UI layouts.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps I would want to see an Amazon Music app. They might as well since the Video app is there. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂