Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Robert

I'll check out your "Frankie Goes To Hollywood" and "Erasure" recommendations once I've run in my system's updates and got my ear in.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User 

Hi Robert

I'll check out your "Frankie Goes To Hollywood" and "Erasure" recommendations once I've run in my system's updates and got my ear in.

UK Bob

Maybe won't be to your taste but I'm a firm believer in at least giving a shot to all genres (EXCEPT that darn country rubbish LOL). I'm always open to new sounds (or old ones I haven't appreciated first time around).

Good to hear you've got your system tuned to your liking again. I've put a bit of a stop to upgrades at the moment BUT I've been dropping HUGE hints for Christmas. Maybe I'll drop the big guy in the red suit a wee letter this year Smiley LOL

I've been cuddling a few beers and listening to a mix of Eighties number ones tonight/this morning on Spotify.

Anyway, time to crack another one open Smiley Happy Heart

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Robert

I was listening to Spotify the other day and, unfortunately for me, I was most dissatisfied with it's content but, I guess, it's down to me being too picky.

Still, I'm right there with you and cracking open that beer:

Beer Drinking.png

Did you know that Rag'n'Bone Man's Human album is a great one to drink beer to (along with a chicken sandwich), as I'm right doing now.

Chicken Sandwich.jpg

If that Rags guy makes a second album of this quality, put a few more minutes on those song timings then I'm definitely gonna buy it, simply because Human sounds so much better each and every time I listen to it (Smiley Happy could be the upgrades I've done, the beer I'm drinking or a combo of both? Smiley Happy)

I'm listening to far more music nowadays, rather than watching films or TV progs, funny that. I guess each time I play a familiar album I am now hearing intricate details that I've never heard before, and that for me makes music more enjoyable and also a voyage of discovery.

Record - LP Emoji.jpg

Got more albums to enjoy. 

Later.

UK Bob 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Robert

I was listening to Spotify the other day and, unfortunately for me, I was most dissatisfied with it's content but, I guess, it's down to me being too picky.

Beer Drinking.png

Did you know that Rag'n'Bone Man's Human album is a great one to drink beer to (along with a chicken sandwich), as I'm right doing now.

Chicken Sandwich.jpg

If that Rags guy makes a second album of this quality, put a few more minutes on those song timings then I'm definitely gonna buy it, simply because Human sounds so much better each and every time I listen to it (Smiley Happy could be the upgrades I've done, the beer I'm drinking or a combo of both? Smiley Happy)

I'm listening to far more music nowadays, rather than watching films or TV progs, funny that. I guess each time I play a familiar album I am now hearing intricate details that I've never heard before, and that for me makes music more enjoyable and also a voyage of discovery.

Record - LP Emoji.jpg

Later.

UK Bob 

Sounds fun @ukbobboy One of my favourite things to do on a Friday night is get a 6 pack of beer, sit on the PC, play some games and listen to music. Relaxing and doesn't cost a fortune 🙂

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Tony-D wrote:

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Hi Robert

Beer Drinking.png

Chicken Sandwich.jpg

Record - LP Emoji.jpg

Later.

UK Bob 

Sounds fun @ukbobboy One of my favourite things to do on a Friday night is get a 6 pack of beer, sit on the PC, play some games and listen to music. Relaxing and doesn't cost a fortune 🙂

I prefer to sit in front of the PC, but hey, that's just me. I'm a bit on the heavy side to be sitting on it Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Sorry, @Tony-D I just couldn't help myself Smiley Wink

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Guys, guys

Sit on, sit in front of, it's all good   Smiley Very Happy  coz', as we all know, different strokes for different folks.

DJ-ing Emoji.png

I also could not resist.

Smiley Happy I'm old skoolin' it at the mo. Smiley Happy

Singing Emoji.png

Later peeps.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

Well Robert

I checked out "Erasure" and they didn't do it for me, sorry. But I will check out your other recommendation, "Frankie Goes To Hollywood" some time tomorrow.Music.jpg

Smiley Happy Still old skoolin' it. Smiley Happy

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No probs @ukbobboy

I can't see you liking FGTH if you didn't like Erasure. Can't say you didn't try Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Guys

Just wanna mention I've been bitten by the "upgrade bug" again (steam rollered actually), but this time it's to add extra tweaking facilities.

As you guys know, not all recordings are recorded to an equally high standard, so when faced with an artistically brilliant recording let down by how it's recorded then that's when the "need to tweak the sound" comes in, hence the requirement to upgrade.

Plus, I'm trying to achieve a "Vinyl Adjacent" sound from my digitally based system.

Not sure those excuses work

Query Emoji 02.jpg

but I guess I'm sticking with it, for now.

Well chaps, until the extra bits and pieces I've ordered comes in.

Catch you later.

UK Bob

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Guys

Just wanna mention I've been bitten by the "upgrade bug" again (steam rollered actually), but this time it's to add extra tweaking facilities.

As you guys know, not all recordings are recorded to an equally high standard, so when faced with an artistically brilliant recording let down by how it's recorded then that's when the "need to tweak the sound" comes in, hence the requirement to upgrade.

Plus, I'm trying to achieve a "Vinyl Adjacent" sound from my digitally based system.

Not sure those excuses work

Query Emoji 02.jpg

but I guess I'm sticking with it, for now.

Well chaps, until the extra bits and pieces I've ordered comes in.

Catch you later.

UK Bob

Using extra bits to achieve an anolog recording sounds a bit backwards @ukbobboy haha