Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D

Hi Guys

As I type this I am loving the album and, yeah Casey, "Skin" is brilliant.

But I have one criticism, and that is the majority of songs are just too short, i.e. just over 3 minutes and some are even under 3 minutes. Although the songs are dramatic and have an epic quality, but I do feel that they are too short and seem to end prematurely.

However, putting that aside, the tunes are great and the artist's voice is powerful while the music and backing singers allow him to stand out and positively shine.

Brilliant album and a brilliant artist.

UK (Loving the Music) Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Guys

As I type this I am loving the album and, yeah Casey, "Skin" is brilliant.

But I have one criticism, and that is the majority of songs are just too short, i.e. just over 3 minutes and some are even under 3 minutes. Although the songs are dramatic and have an epic quality, but I do feel that they are too short and seem to end prematurely.

However, putting that aside, the tunes are great and the artist's voice is powerful while the music and backing singers allow him to stand out and positively shine.

Brilliant album and a brilliant artist.

UK (Loving the Music) Bob

I would agree 100% with you there. I'm hoping maybe they will be fleshed out on stage to add some added atmosphere to his music. His songs certainly deserve a bit more to add just that little bit of an extra impact Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi Robert

I don't know when Rag 'n' Bone Man's next album is coming out but I do hope he has less but longer tracks, his voice, music and backing deserves a good 5 - 7 minute treatment.

As I continue to listen to this great album, which should take me up to The Flash, at 11am on Pick, I can't help but hear the gospel influence in the singing, music and some of the themes.

Great stuff.

UK (Genre Buff) Bob 

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

In my mind, a legend is an artist whose music really speaks to me. From a newbie to an 80's rock band. It doesn't matter to me 😄

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
ukbobboy
Legend

Hi Robert

Just thought I'd let you know that my favourite album at the moment, and should definitely be listened to on vinyl, is Sade - Lovers Rock.  This album, released in 2000, is so cool it's in a class of it's own.

Sade - Lovers Rock.jpg

Give it a listen if and when you can.

UK (Cool Man) Bob 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Robert

Just thought I'd let you know that my favourite album at the moment, and should definitely be listened to on vinyl, is Sade - Lovers Rock.  This album, released in 2000, is so cool it's in a class of it's own.

Sade - Lovers Rock.jpg

Give it a listen if and when you can.

UK (Cool Man) Bob 

Again not really my scene but I've had a quick listen on Spotify and it definitely is an easy listening album. I might just set out to source it on vinyl and listen to it again. I'm always open to listening to anything that comes my way Smiley Happy but I can't abide country music Smiley LOL

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi Robert

You said, "...but I can't abide country music". Me too, I especially dislike its close relative "Hill Billy Music".

Upset Emoji.jpg

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

Hi Robert

Guess what, woke up this morning and the first thing that popped into my head was this:

Mini Valve Amp01.jpg

A mini valve-enabled headphone amplifier.

I'm getting that musical itch again.

Well, "I'm only human, after all, don't put the blame on me".

UK (Musical Man) Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

Hi Robert

Guess what, woke up this morning and the first thing that popped into my head was this:

Mini Valve Amp01.jpg

A mini valve-enabled headphone amplifier.

I'm getting that musical itch again.

Well, "I'm only human, after all, don't put the blame on me".

UK (Musical Man) Bob

I see what you just did there Smiley LOL

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @caseyb1993 @Tony-D @schnapps 

Hi Guys

I've just got a simple question for each of you, and that is what music do you like to listen to when reading or posting (maybe both) in this forum?

I usually like to listen to something mid-tempo during daylight hours, usually with a cold drink.  A perfect example of this would be the albums Human, by Rag 'n' Bones, especially the song Be the Man, and Random Access Memories by Daft Punk.

But at the moment (night time), I tend to listen to slow to mid-tempo stuff, i.e any albums by Barry White, Sade (pronounced Shaw-Day) and some songs by Fleetwood Mac, Paul Young, Savage Garden, etc.

Looking through my collection of 250+ albums, I just have too many to choose a representative sample of the stuff I like, simply because each record compliments the mood I am in at the time I'm playing it.

Saying all that, I just did a quick check and it seems that I bought between 2 - 4 albums per month this year, so far. But I do know I have gone crazy in past years and probably bought more than 6 albums in a given month.

Anyway, later peeps.

UK Bob