cancel
Showing results forΒ 
Search instead forΒ 
Did you mean:Β 
ukbobboy
Expert 1

Re: Old Hi-Fi System (Oops, I've done it again)

@robert1997 @schnapps @Tony-D

Hi Guys, especially Robert

I was just wondering Robert, how are you getting on with your hi-fi upgrade?

The reason I ask is because I've been bitten by the upgrade bug again and, unlike when I was a rash youth, I'm putting in as much research as possible, which wasn't available back in the day. Plus, I'm taking financial baby steps, i.e. not shelling out "bank account busting amounts" that will hurt.

At the moment, I've chosen the extra cables I will need and I'm still checking out the amp I think I am after.

Don't know if what I have in mind will work but I'll let everyone know if it does or not.

UK Bob

0 Thanks
robert1997
Scholar 1

Hi @ukbobboy et al

The upgrade has went on the back burner for a week or two. We went away for a few days break and came back to TWO family weddings, one of which we'd totally forgotten about. We're both cream crackered at the moment but I've got the go ahead Smiley Wink to peruse some further work to my system. 

I've managed to add the extra speakers but haven't had time to tone them into what I feel is the right sound for my ears. That is something I plan to work on this incoming week. I suppose I'm a tad cautious on what steps to take next seeing as my trusty old system has served me so well for so long in its current state of worthiness.

I've been thinking of retiring the old dear, the hi-fi, not the wife, and preserving it for posterity, giving me the freedom to begin a brand new project, something I probably wouldn't have even considered had it not been for this thread. At least I can blame you @ukbobboy when the missus starts dishing out the grief again Smiley LOL

PS. I've started on the Evis remasters but it's going to take a bit of penny pinching to replace them all. I will get there though, some day Smiley LOL

Keep us in the loop with your own project. Best of luck with it.

ukbobboy
Expert 1

@robert1997

Hi Robert

I must admit, I enjoyed reading your post, especially the paragraph, "I've been thinking of retiring the old dear.....", that one made me laugh. 

As for you're hi-fi, it may be better to get stuff repaired or refurbished rather than buying a totally new system, because from what you've said you like the tone and quality you're getting from your system. To buy a system nowadays with the same tone and quality may cost a small fortune.

I've been burnt by expensive hi-fi upgrades in the past, that's why I am doing small, inexpensive but well researched steps before laying down any cash. 

As for getting grief, naw you can't blame me for that, I'm innocent.Innocent.jpg

We're just couple of guys having a beer and talking about hi-fi.Beer.png

Still, I advise caution (on both fronts). 

Caution.jpg

Good luck.

UK Bob

Highlighted
robert1997
Scholar 1

@ukbobboy

Thanks for quenching my thirst πŸ˜€

I make my worst decisions after a few πŸ˜‚

I think starting over and putting my trusty system to the side would be more than I could bear. It has been with me through good times and bad.

I don't think I could get the same build quality nowadays.

As for being innocent? Hmmm!!! You'll likely be mentioned in my divorce hearing πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

caseyb1993 Elite 5
Elite 5

Re: Old Hi-Fi System

Sorry to hijack this thread guys but if anyone is interested, 

Pringles are offering a 4 months subscription to Deezer if you buy 3 tubes. You have to be a new customer though or just make a new account like me. Smiley Happy

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? :-)
robert1997
Scholar 1

Feel free to join in anytime @caseyb1993 Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Expert 1

@caseyb1993 @robert1997 @Tony-D @schnapps

Hi Casey

No problem, as Robert said, feel free to join in at any time.

However, at the moment I enjoy my "old skool" music via the currently subscription-free TuneIn channel.  

Cheers

UK Bob

NOW TV Team Tony-D
NOW TV Team

@caseyb1993 wrote:

Sorry to hijack this thread guys but if anyone is interested, 

Pringles are offering a 4 months subscription to Deezer if you buy 3 tubes. You have to be a new customer though or just make a new account like me. Smiley Happy

I can't seem to get away from Spotify :/ all my playlists are on there. I have about 100 playlists consting of thousands of songs you see. Wish we could transfer.

caseyb1993 Elite 5
Elite 5

@Tony-D Same for me but on Deezer. It's going to be a pain with a new account πŸ˜‚

I'll be sad when Google Play Music eventually disappears as that used to be my number 1 app originally. Followed by SoundCloud. Smiley Happy

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? :-)
0 Thanks
ukbobboy
Expert 1

@robert1997 @schnapps @Tony-D @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Clearaudio and the range of high end, cutting edge turntables they make but when I came across this video I was gob smacked. In fact, my gob has never been so smacked.

Gob Smacked.jpg

Not only was I stunned by the design concepts but by the mortgage busting (I never want to be able to eat again) prices ask for some of these TT's, even their basic "bread and butter" model was  $1,600 (Β£1,000+).

Check out the video, if you can.

UK Bob

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fu34LGTAxvE

Clearaudio manufactures a wide range of turntables. Many models and variations. Here Michael Fajen, Musical Surroundings Customer Service Manager, lays it all out and clarifies the offerings, probably better than they've ever been described at a trade show-at least of the dozens I've attended.