Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

310 REPLIES 310
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

You know

It takes a particularly twisted person, or people, to come up with the idea to "weaponise" facebook data, but there you have it, the human race has now move into another dangerous era where unscrupulous people seek to use data to emphasize our differences and sow discontent.

And what's worse, it's sweeping across the world.

I hope I'm wrong.

UK Bob

I hope you're wrong too @ukbobboy but I've a feeling this is only the start of it Smiley Sad 

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User @Tony-D

You know

It takes a particularly twisted person, or people, to come up with the idea to "weaponise" facebook data, but there you have it, the human race has now move into another dangerous era where unscrupulous people seek to use data to emphasize our differences and sow discontent.

And what's worse, it's sweeping across the world.

I hope I'm wrong.

UK Bob

@ukbobboy That's what i hate about all of this, it's fear mongering to create a divide. When everyone is human why does there need to be so much diversifying. Fear is what runs the world, human instincts crave it to be run this way for some reason. I'd dare say you are not wrong at all.

P.s @Anonymous User Good luck on the 30 years haha. Amazing.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D

Hi Tony

You asked, "....why does there need to be so much diversifying."  Well, there are certain groups of people, mainly extremist, who do not agree or like the way society current is and they want to tear it down and rebuild it in their own image, regardless of the consequences or cost in human lives.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Guys

My last post was quite grim so I'm going to change that by going over a couple of points in your latest post in this thread.

Casey

You said, "...I still buy CDs now and again. " and "I prefer my Deezer app.....".  I can't fault you there, you like the convenience and durability of CDs and you like the immediacy and portability "Deezer" gives you, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But for me, I have never seen, or appreciated, music as a portable medium, even in the time when Sony Walkman/Discman and Boom Boxes were popular I never saw them as anything but gimmicks.  I guess I'm just too old school for the old schoolers Smiley Happy.

Tony

You mentioned "7.1 Surround", I believe that surround sound, both 5.1 and 7.1, are great for recreating the "cinema experience" in your home but, from what I have seen and read, not so good for enjoying music, i.e, experiencing vinyl at it's best.

You see, if you go to a concert or listen to a band the music that is being played is in front of you and vinyl is suppose to reproduce that.  So I believe that stereo reproduction is the way to go. Sorry, I'm being old school again Smiley Happy.

Robert

You said, "My hi-fi system will be, if it survives, 30 years old next year."  You know, I envy you because my hi-fi system bit the dust when my kids started to toddle around, so the first thing their inquisitive hands went for was my system, especially my SME (fixed head shell) 3009 Mk II tonearm and Thorens 160 Mk II belt drive turntable.

I got home one evening, after work, to find my record playing system ruined, it was at that time I realised my days of keeping a hi-fi system was over.

To conclude, as much as I would like to own a hi-fi system again it just would not practical anymore.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy Yes the post may have been grim but it was also sadly true.

I agree with your 'stereo' comments when it comes to music. 7.1/5.1 is fantastic for tv/movies but music, in my humblest of opinions, was always meant to be enjoyed in beautiful stereo.

I feel your pain re your hi-fi system. I would have been devestated in that scenario. I dread the day mine finally goes to that great concert hall in the Sky because I just know I'll never be able to replace it Smiley Sad

As it is, until that day comes, I fully intend to immerse myself in the joys it brings Smiley Happy

Tony-D
NOW Team Member
NOW Team Member

@ukbobboy wrote:

@caseyb1993 @Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Guys

My last post was quite grim so I'm going to change that by going over a couple of points in your latest post in this thread.

Casey

You said, "...I still buy CDs now and again. " and "I prefer my Deezer app.....".  I can't fault you there, you like the convenience and durability of CDs and you like the immediacy and portability "Deezer" gives you, absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But for me, I have never seen, or appreciated, music as a portable medium, even in the time when Sony Walkman/Discman and Boom Boxes were popular I never saw them as anything but gimmicks.  I guess I'm just too old school for the old schoolers Smiley Happy.

Tony

You mentioned "7.1 Surround", I believe that surround sound, both 5.1 and 7.1, are great for recreating the "cinema experience" in your home but, from what I have seen and read, not so good for enjoying music, i.e, experiencing vinyl at it's best.

You see, if you go to a concert or listen to a band the music that is being played is in front of you and vinyl is suppose to reproduce that.  So I believe that stereo reproduction is the way to go. Sorry, I'm being old school again Smiley Happy.

Robert

You said, "My hi-fi system will be, if it survives, 30 years old next year."  You know, I envy you because my hi-fi system bit the dust when my kids started to toddle around, so the first thing their inquisitive hands went for was my system, especially my SME (fixed head shell) 3009 Mk II tonearm and Thorens 160 Mk II belt drive turntable.

I got home one evening, after work, to find my record playing system ruined, it was at that time I realised my days of keeping a hi-fi system was over.

To conclude, as much as I would like to own a hi-fi system again it just would not practical anymore.

UK Bob

Haha, always a bit of time for some grim talk.  @ukbobboy

But yeah, i didn't even think of that you know. My phone has 2 front facing speakers and i couldn't imagine going back to rear or side speakers as the music is directed completely at you and no where else.  I myself have a stereo setup and the house and it definitely doesn't need changing 🙂

ukbobboy
Legend

@Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Guys

I think I've lost my mind, I just could not help myself (I think I need psychological help) coz' I've gone and bought myself an extra set of speakers for my music system and I've got no sensible reason why I did it.

Music Baby.jpg

But I will say I'm enjoying the extra volume, clarity and especially the midrange lift, not to mention the £20.00 discount, and my ears are jamming to my favourite sounds but still....

Vinyl Album LP.jpg

You know, I'm not a gambling man but when it comes to music I took a gamble and it paid off this time, but I've got to stop before the lust to buy something else creeps up on me again (I'm gonna have a beer).

UK Bob

PS. I'm really in the groove now.

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

So what speakers did you buy any photos or website links ?

Just curious what you bought Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Sorry Schnapps

I'm not going to compound my shame by revealing all but I will say I have increased my digital music enjoyment but feel guilty that I completely lack self-control.Disappointed.png

UK Bob 

PS. Still, I'm currently enjoying my Barry White Unlimited Box Set.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User @schnapps @Tony-D

Cheers Robert

I feel a lot better now, as for the wife say that you are buying a present that both of you can enjoy.

Thumbs Up01.jpg

Way back when, I remember reading in a Hi-Fi magazine an article written by the girlfriend of an Hi-Fi enthusiast. She wrote that whenever her boyfriend bought a piece of Hi-Fi equipment it wasn't just his equipment it became "our" equipment.

The impression I got from the article was that she became more accepting of her boyfriend's hobby until she became an enthusiast herself.

Also, remember that women have better hearing than men, especially in the upper frequency range. Therefore, it should not be too difficult to persuade your misses that she can enjoy music just as much as you do, probably more.

Good luck.

UK Bob