Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi UKBob,

Glad you are enjoying the Spotify experience (like what myself and @caseyb1993 said) Spotify and other Music Streaming services is the future where you don't have to keep buying songs to build up your personal music library, i haven't bought any music in years since Spotify came to the UK Smiley Very Happy

I am sure you know this already, but with the Spotify App on the Roku / NowTV boxes is restricted to the Premium subscription service only, if for some reason you don't continue with the Premium service and go with the Free option with the ads and lesser quality playback then Chromecast is the way to go (Hopefully you love it so much that you will stick with either the Premium or Family paid subscription service rather than the free version).

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @caseyb1993

Hi Schnapps

Yes, I'm enjoying the "Spotify" experience at the moment and I have the free 30 day premium trial offer, I'll need a few more days or so before I can decided whether or not to keep the premium account.

As for the sound quality, well, when I was listening via my chromecast device, in the early hours of this morning, it was the free reduced sound quality.  That said, I'm now listening to the "paid for" premium sound quality and, you know, I can't tell the difference between the two.  The only difference between this morning and now is the "adverts", I heard one advert this morning and none now.

At the moment, I'm trying to set up a playlist or two on my PC that can be seen and played by my Roku 3, which I am finding somewhat difficult but I'll keep plugging away.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi UKBob,

That's great, so how are you finding Spotify, with regards to their library content and what do you think of the sound quality ?

Did you go with the free version or the premium version with the free trial (edit just seen your above post whilst typing mine)?

Yeah Chromecast without doubt is the better option over Bluetooth, where you don't get sound dropouts and the battery on your mobile casting device doesn't drain so quick when not using Bluetooth.

What is your main casting device, mobile phone, tablet, PC/ Laptop or orther type of device(edit just seen Roku3 again on your above post) ?

I have two Chromecast in my setup around the house, in the Living Room i have the version 2 video Chromecast connected to a HDMI audio extractor where i run an optical digital cable out into my Audio Cambridge DAC then wired into my HiFi amplifier (sounds great to me).

Where the second setup is in my AV Home Cinema Room where i connect the Chromecast video version 1 straight into one of the HDMI inputs on the AV Receiver (no need to faff around with an audio extractor and sounds great).

Out of curiosity, how have you setup your Chromecast on your sound system ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hey Schnapps

I missed the question you asked on your last post, which was, "How have you setup your Chromecast on your sound system?" You know, I've gone for simplicity itself, both my Roku 3 and Chromecast device are plugged in separate HDMI sockets on my TV, I've then connected my TV, via an optical cable, to my sound system.

So you see, whichever media source I use I can always hear it through my sound system and they're all available within a few button presses on a remote control.

As a side note, apart from Judge Judy, I hardly ever watch anything on terrestrial TV anymore.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi UKBob,

How are you getting on with Spotify ?

Does the Spotify content Library have music genres that you enjoy ?

Have you found any new Artists or Albums since using Spotify?

Just curious Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

You know Schnapps

I am thoroughly enjoying Spotify, not found any new artists but I have found new albums of my favourites, for example there's a Barry White box-set of albums I knew absolutely nothing about.

Still plowing on through. 

Catch you later.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

Today, I came across some of my old vinyl albums and 12" 45s and the thing that struck me was that just a handful of vinyls are quite heavy.  Plus, I have no way of finding out if they are still in playable condition, although some of them are well preserved. 

I guess at some stage in the future I'm going to give them all to charity and put an end to my "vinyl adventure". 

Simply because I neither use vinyl or CDs anymore, just digital.

UK Bob

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy Not planning on doing any DJing in the clubs then Bob? It's done wonders for Steve Davis' career!

p03w9shn.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi UKBob,

All my Vinyl collection is in safe storage (with the prices of Vinyl currently selling at the moment, it might be a good investment though i doubt i would ever sell any of my albums).

I have two Vinyl albums in my collection which might be possible collectors items which i have never come across them on sale on Ebay or Record Fares (one is a Bob Marley Boxset and an Alexander O'Neill album which was marked up " not for public sale").

Just wondering how many albums, 12" and 45 discs do you have in your collection ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

You asked, "How many albums, 12" and 45 discs do you have in your collection?". Unfortunately, at this stage of the game I no longer have any idea how many albums and 12" 45s I bought between the time I was a teenager, starting to buy albums, and the short time after I got married when I stopped. However, I do know that I had no more than 12 7" 45s, I just didn't rate them as "hi-fi" worthy.

As for CDs, I have loads but again I have no idea how many I've got.

Right now I have over 200+ digital albums, and the reason why I know this is because my computer keeps track and does the counting.

You know, as I was looking through the stash of albums I could only recognise a few of them, it must be 25 years or so since I last looked at them.

Later

UK Bob