Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy @caseyb1993 

Hi Guys

Just letting you know, after taking a break for two months, I'm back on Spotify and as I am now listening to it I'm going over in my mind why I dropped it for so long. And this is what I've come up with:-

1)  I could not find a way, either via Spotify Help or other Spotify members, to have a mixture of my favourite songs piped to my Roku 3. However, on Spotify Free there's no problem it's all done automatically, I've just got to accept the odd advert.

2) The monthly cost of Spotify Premium, I think, is too high and I would be more tempted to permanently join if some money-off or discount vouchers were readily available but I was unable to find any valid ones, i.e. ones officially sanctioned by Spotify.

3) Regarding vouchers/passes, whatevers available seems to be aimed squarely at the Uni crowd, as if no one outside of this "select group" listens to music, this IMHO is very short sighted.

Later

UK Bob

PS. For those not in the know,  Spotify Free cannot be used on the Roku 3 or Now TV black box, only Spotify Premium will work, so I can only use/cast to  my Chromecast device. 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi Bob,

I dropped Spotify Premium a long time ago mainly to that i wasn't doing much serious listening on either my HiFi or AV system (watching a lot of movies at the moment).

Still use my Chromecasts to cast the free version of both Spotify and Deezer, together with YouTube for some background music whilst carrying out other things around the House Smiley Happy

Agree about there seems to be no deals offered for existing single account Spotify Premium members (only the Student and Family subscription offers looks a tempting deal to me, where unfortunately i don't fall into theses two brackets).

Deezer is also quite a good streaming service where like Spotify you can use the Deezer Premium App on Roku Players (same monthly subscription as Spotify Premium £10 per month) where like Spotify new customers can try the introduction offer of 3 month Premium subscription to their music streaming service for 99p (just make sure you cancel before the intro offer expires).

Might be worth investigating for 99p if you decided to give Spotify Premium a miss again in the future to see how both streaming music services works over your Roku player.

I haven't compared the Spotify Premium App or Deezer Premium App on the Roku players to be honest so i am not sure out of the two, which you would find the better music service on Roku. 

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy @schnapps

I personally prefer Google Play Music. I don't know why really but it tops all of them.

I love the I'm Feeling Lucky random button. 😄

There isn't a free version except for a free month trial and occasionally a "2 or 3 months on us" sometimes at Christmas. 🙂

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @caseyb1993

Never used Google Play Music, i know you can get the Google Play Movies & TV App on Roku.

Does the Roku players have an App for Google Play Music, i haven't checked to be honest ?

With Lovefilm gone, i might cancel my Amazon Video subscription and take the full Prime subscription package and utlize the Prime Music on my Fire TV box.

I know the Prime Music catalogue is limited compared to the likes of Spotify etc, but Prime is not more expensive per a month than my current Amazon Video sub (might try out Prime with the free 30 day trial).

I am missing Lovefilm already, for my Blu-ray rentals and don't fancy joining Cinema Paradiso Smiley Sad 

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Sadly there isn't an app for Google Music on roku (last time I checked anyway).

I just cast it from my phone to my Chromecast. I haven't got an active subscription as of late but I'm hoping for the Christmas offer again. 

You know Amazon have Amazon music unlimited? Prime members get a discount on it but even that way it is still pricey. 

so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

caseyb1993 wrote

I haven't got an active subscription as of late but I'm hoping for the Christmas offer again.

Hi @caseyb1993

You haven't got your Christmas music playlist lined up already to start listening on Google Music Play have you ?

I tend to play the Christmas theme tracks during the two weeks towards the festive season.

Sorry @ukbobboy i couldn't resist adding this photo below Smiley Very Happy 

ChristmasSlider-copy.jpg

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Same here! That'll be at my friends pre-Christmas party so it gets us all in the Christmas fever. 🙂

Not to be the buzzkill, but I'm already sick of seeing Christmas adverts. 😄

I do love the John Lewis ones though, has that happened yet?

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993 @schnapps

Hi Schnapps

How'd you know I was wearing my wooden cans?

DJ Wearing Headphones.jpg

Hi Casey

I'm also fed up with those Christmas ads, plus they always start too early in the year.

Gringe.png

UK (Gringe) Bob

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 wrote:

I do love the John Lewis ones though, has that happened yet?

And... it wasn't the best this time. 😞

ukbobboy
Legend

@caseyb1993

Hi Casey

Believe it or not, I've just come across an album on Amazon, which I've bought before (and listened to the other day), but they've updated it with a new remix, it now has a fresh 2017 sound.

Vinyl Record.jpg

You know, I'm tempted to buy it.

UK Bob

PS. Well, the digital version anyway.