Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @SeeMoreDigital @4268

Hi guys

I wanted to ask, if you were to buy a hi-fi system today what equipment would you go for?

For myself, I found this more difficult now than I did back in the 1970s, I guess there was more choice back then.  And although I am unable to get very far in choosing a new system today I think I have made some headway.

Anyway guys, this is my choice do far:

1)  The Nagaoka MP-110 Cartridge

Nagaoka MP-110 Cartridge.jpg

Most reviewer agree that whatever music you like this cartridge "Brings it".

2)  The Schiit Mani PreAmp

Schiit Mani PreAmp 02.jpg

When I first heard the name of this preamp I thought it must be German, but no, it's conceived and made in the USA, the name was an in-joke between the company founder and his wife.

Nevertheless, most reviewers say that this is a brilliant preamp at an affordable price.

3) The Jelco 750 MK2B Tonearm

Jelco 750 MK2b Tonearm.jpg

This tonearm goes for a ridiculous price of about £440.00 but it's the only "S" shaped tonearm I could fined.  I would much prefer the more affordable Technics tone arm but that seems to come in various bits and pieces to be assembled by the user, just like a jig saw puzzle.

4) Finally, for a turntable I would choose the Rega Planar P3 (without tonearm).

Rega Planar P3.jpg

That what I would go for if I was to buy a hi-fi system today, I've not picked an amplifier or a pair of speakers yet but I'll keep looking.

UK Bob

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

After getting into surround-sound with movies I've had all sorts of amps, receivers and speakers over the years. But sadly the same gear wasn't particularly good with music, which became even more apparent when I started collecting and listening to multi-channel SACD's, DVD-A's and more recently Blu-ray Audio discs. So I've dug out my old analogue stereo amplifiers. 

I'm currently in the process of moving my gear out from under the TV and onto some shelves beside my chimney breast so it's less 'in your face'. And at some point I'll probably hook-up my old Ariston RD40 turntable and give it a spin. It will need a good clean though and probably a require a new cartridge Smiley Surprised 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi UK Bob, 

I haven't heard or had a demo of any of the HiFi equipment on my list below, but i would love to try this gear out at my home.

Dream System if i had the money

Linn Majik LP12 Turntable 

Linn Ekos arm

Linn Aditk mm cartridge 

Naim Nac200 series pre amp c/w phono stage

Naim Nap500 power amp

PMC Twenty 24 floor standing speakers 

More Realistic System

Rega Planner 3 Turntable (Like you a good choice)

Rega RB330 arm

Rega Elys mm cartridge 

Rega Elex-R amplifier c/w phono stage 

Audiovector QR1 stand mount speakers

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

I've still got a couple of Audiolab 8000A amplifiers and two pairs of KEF 103.2 speakers that I used for quadraphonic set-up. All or some of which I'm hoping to use Smiley Happy

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SeeMoreDigital

That's a coincidence i also own an old Audiolab 8000A amplifier which is gathering dust in the bedroom (if my memory serves me right i think it cost me around £400 back in about 1990).

The Audiolab came with a half decent mm / mc phono stage.

Never owned KEF speakers but always wanted to try the brand.

The amplifier i use in my two channel HiFi system nowadays is a Cambridge Audio 840a on the end of a pair of Audiovector Mi3 floor standing speakers Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @SeeMoreDigital

Hi Guys

You guys really have your dream systems tied down, although I've heard of Audiolabs amplifiers and Kef speakers, and they have good reps, I'm not sure if I would go that way myself.

You know SMD

You reminded me that back in the day I toyed with the idea of moving up from stereo to quad sound, there were four competing systems, i.e. SQ, QS, CD4 and UD4 but none of them took off, talk about naff tech.

I don't know if either of you guys know this but the BBC, via radio 3 and 4, tried to introduce quadraphonic sound way back in the 70s but to receive the quad radio signals you would need a  tuner, decoder and two amplifiers.  I remember that that it looked pretty ridiculous (and ridiculously expensive) when they demoed it on TV.

Later

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @SeeMoreDigital @caseyb1993

Guys

I forgot to add my favourite headphones, the Symphonized Magnum Premium Genuine Wood Headphones:

Symphonized Magnum Premium Genuine Wood Headphones.jpg

The price has dropped by over £20.00 + since I bought them in 2015 but they certainly "bring it" in those moments when you do not want to disturb the rest of the household.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy

Hi UkBob,

Personally i haven't had any first hand experience with decent stereo headphones in a home HiFi setup and always had the sound blasting out of my speakers Smiley Very Happy.

Never really got on with headphones find them uncomfortable either on or inside my ears and the only time that i used them was on personal portable music players with the cheapo ear buds that came with them whilst away from the house.

I spend a lot of time down the Gym and i perfer listening to the background music provided, however there are many people using the Gym (mainly the younger generation) who use headphones whilst training, which range from the "in ear"style headphones all the way up to the "on ear" twin big cans on their heads (which always reminds me of the cyber men from Dr Who) Smiley Very Happy

2013_05_11_b5_newcybermen.78727.jpg

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Well Schnapps

Just call me "Cyber Man Bob" because I will never use those ear buds, I think they must be atrocious, and I love my oversized wooden headphones.

As for headphones comfort, yes I will agree that some can be extremely uncomfortable after about to 5 - 10 minutes after putting them on.  I have a smaller pair that I use when I'm either listening to music via my smart phone or tablet and those 'phones do become uncomfortable after a while.

Still, a good pair of 'phones do make a good, quieter alternative to good speakers.

Catch you later

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @caseyb1993 @SeeMoreDigital @Andy

This is it:

Headphones.png

UK (Cyber Man) Bob