Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Old Hi-Fi System

@caseyb1993 @Andy @GraphiteGB @mark_suff  @commanda6

Hi Guys 

I was bouncing around YouTube when I came across this video, it shows the Thorens turntable and SME tone arm I used to use back in the day.  Before marriage and children, I used to be (well) into Hi-Fi (high fidelity) systems and the Thorens turntable combo used to be the head/start of my system.

I know this has absolutely nothing to do with NowTV etc. but I'm sure there are a few older fans out there that still remember the days when Hi-Fi was king.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaMn20oJ4Bc

UK Bob

Pink Floyd - Time from the "Dark Side of the Moon" 180 Gram LP Thorens TD 160 Super / Audio Technica AT440MLa / Shure SME 3009 Series 2 Improved tone arm / Pioneer VSX-9500s (Pre-Amp) / White Oaked Phase Linear (WOPL) 1000 Power Amp (530 watts per channel into 8 Ohms), 108.7 Volts on the Main ...
310 REPLIES 310
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Good morning and a belated welcome to 2019 @ukbobboy

Funny you should mention CDs. An older neighbour was telling me last night her new car doesn't have a cd player in it and she feels lost without her music. She says she just doesn't get all this new technology at all. I'm now in the process of copying many of her favourite discs onto a usb device and have promised her it won't be long until she's mastered this 'new', for her, method of listening to her music. I think she'll be blown away when she realises all her music will be available to her at the touch of a button, or two.

Like you have found, it's always nice to uncover new ways of enjoying our favourite tunes. 

Santa brought me some new (remastered) vinyl albums and it's been a pleasure to listen to some older music on an old format again Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

And a happy new year to you good sir.

I can say, without hesitation, that I know how your neighbour feels. It seems that as soon as you get to grips with a new device it is then quickly superseded by something else. 

Anyway, the bottom line is that as long as you can enjoy your music, regardless of how it's consumed, then that's all that matters.

Glad to hear that you got some remastered vinyls for Christmas, which I must say I am a bit envious Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised Smiley Surprised

Spinning LP.gif

You see, the other day I caught myself looking (longingly) at a turntable playing LPs on YouTube HeartHeartHeart, sad but true. 

But, as I said before, my vinyl days are in the past Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated Smiley Frustrated

Until next time, keep on keeping on.

UK Bob

PS. I say Madness on the TV the other day doing a concert, they were very good.

Anonymous User
Not applicable
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Robert

How are you getting on with copying your neighbours CDs onto USB thumb drives?

The reason I ask is because I remember a few years back CD making companies were experimenting with installing anti-copying software onto their CDs. I was just wondering if you've fell foul of this pre-installed nonsense.

You know, I even remember that at one time Sony authorised the installing of stealth malware onto their customers computers, someone in the company thought this was a good idea until their customers in the US took out a class action against them.

Anyway, at about 4.00am this morning I found a pile of about 20+ CDs I'd stuffed into a bag, chucked into a corner and promptly forgot about them.  I sorted through them, threw about six away and found five worth playing. Those five I am now going through, i.e. playing as I type this note.  And as you can imagine, they are gems from yesteryear.  Still, I may (or may not) go through the others I've found at a later date.

That's all for now, catch you later.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Hey there @ukbobboy 

Good to know you're still around Smiley Happy

I'm pleased to say I've run into no issues transferring cd to usb (as yet at least). I've had to take a short break from my task as disaster has struck, and I do mean disaster, my trusty television bit the dust over the weekend Smiley Mad

Now, also being a bit of a videophile, I've spent the entire weekend researching my next tv. The computer and me have become fused as one, so much so that my better half has hinted at naming the computer in divorce proceedings Smiley LOL Smiley LOL

Anyhow, off today to make my purchase, with the wife in tow to make sure I don't buy anything else while I'm out, as if I would Smiley Wink

I too have quite a few CDs hiding away which the missus has urged me to sell on as they don't get any playing time now. I'm contemplating attending one of those music fairs next time they are in town to see what I could get for a load of my old stuff, if I can be torn away from them off course Smiley Happy

My new tv awaits, until the next time, happy listening (and viewing) Smiley Happy

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi Robert

Just thought I'd do a little catch up with you, I take it you've got your new TV now and so I was wondering is it Smart or Standard (not connected to the Internet)? Plus, did you manage to get any new electronic extras (Smiley Happywithout the misses noticingSmiley Very Happy).

You know, way, way back in the dim and distant, I remember the time when my parents used to stack a bunch of 7" (@ 18cm) 45 rpm vinyl records on the record player. Well today, I find myself doing something very similar. I can pick and choose various tunes from different digital albums and EPs then stack and play them, just like stacked 45s back in the day. The main difference is, unlike my parents, I am not physically limited to the number of separate tunes I can put in a stack (like right now, I've got some 30 + tunes lined up in the stack I'm listening to).

It's just simply bliss.

Bliss.png

Stacked 45s 04.jpg

Funny how stuff like this comes full circle.

Until next time.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

Still spending money on upgrades (more mini-amps and more speakers) and also adjusting to new tones and more details sounds, i.e. clearer midrange, background voices are more defined, hi-hats clearer without being clinical and everything sounds more smooth.

Oh yeah, more defined bass without being boomy.

This should hold me until September (I think).

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@ukbobboy wrote:

@caseyb1993 @Tony-D @Anonymous User @schnapps

Hi Guys

I'm not so much worried that AI will end the human race terminator style, it's more like some malevolence group of people will take the (spy) data collected and weaponise it, just like they recently did with Facebook data.

Dangerous people of "ill intent" will use what we consider to be harmless data to seize power and change the world to their vision of what they think it should be.  

I may sound alarmist but right now there are "well funded" American  extremists travelling around Europe, financing groups with similar political views in order to lay the foundations of future change. In order to make that change they will have to find out what will make the population of each country vote for their brand of people, and for that they need data.

So guys, I don't fear AI itself, I just fear what evil men will do once they have collected all the data that AI can so easily provide.

Bad News Bob

PS. BN Bob will now retire and UK Bob will be back for the next posting.

Thank goodness o see someone else share my views of what's happening in the world today. My wife thinks I'm nuts Smiley LOL

Legend 5
Legend 5

Next you will be telling us you have old 78s 😋 @ukbobboy
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps off topic but noticed that you can be away for months at a time. Taking a break or serving her Majesty?
Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor and pop on when I can.