cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Now TV footy versus illegal streams...

Now TV sport is in 720p resolution. There are illegal streams available showing Full HD (ie 1080p) but I always pay to watch my team with a day pass or a week pass. Isn't it about time those of us who actually pay our way were rewarded with higher quality streams???

I have a Samsung 4k TV with the Now app built in but I refuse to pay for a sky/virgin subscription to each 1 game a week.

At £40+ a month, is it any wonder many people decide to watch illegally?

Mark
11 REPLIES 11
stammie1609
Expert

Wow, I'm currently watching my equal second most expensive subscription after Now TV namely ESPN College Pass (an entirely legal and legitimate sports subscription) and whilst I realise this is a niche service it is showing me just how bad the Now TV picture is.

I'm currently watching a game from last night on the on demand section and its playing at 11428 kbps in full 1080P, this picture is better than a HD picture on Freeview and Virgin Media, all for £14 a month less than Sky Sports on Now TV.

My other equal second most expensive sub NFL Gamepass offers a bitrate over twice as much as Now TV.

I also get a much better picture from Eurosport Player and that was only £20 for a year!

The principle of Now TV is good but the service is being shown up to be very sub standard by cheaper rivals

SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

@commanda6 wrote:

just so everybody knows the maximum resolution of BBC iPlayer is currently 720p HD. However, BBC does use a frame rate of 50 FPS on iPlayer

If the BBC's 1080i50 content has been captured so that each interlaced field contains unique information then yes it makes perfect sense to transcode each interlaced field into a progressive frame, as it maintains smooth motion.

However, quite a lot of 1080i50 content has been captured with one progressive (1920x1080) frame and 'flagged' with a 'repeat' field. So if you slowed the playback right down you would actually see two identical frames. 

The BBC are very good at this sort of stuff 😉