cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
caseyb1993 Elite 5
Elite 5

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?

@Figgerty the black box is pretty much an updated box. It has the same stuff but it seems faster and more smooth controls etc...

I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? :-)
Figgerty
Contributor 2

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?


@caseyb1993 wrote:

@Figgerty As far as I know it's never had Netflix since it's a 'rival' company. Do you know where you read that?


Either on a review or summary of catch up services and/or on You Tube.  I looked up both before buying the box but the Now TV Sports pass was the primary reason for buying it.  Everything else was icing.

 

 

0 Thanks
Reply
gregan
Helper 3

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?


@Figgerty wrote:

@gregan wrote:

 


You can still access youtube and the catch-up services (bbc iplayer etc.) without paying for now tv but you still need a now tv account to set the box up. when did you buy the sports pass?


I bought the sports pass last July when I bought the box.

 

So all the stuff I read or saw on YouTube about viewing free stuff & apps like Netflix is a load of tosh?

 

Do you know about the differences between white and black box?


I was asking that because the passes expire a year after purchase. You can watch Youtube, BBC Iplayer, Demand 5 etc but not any services like now tv such as Netflix,Amazon Prime etc.

______________


Please press Thanks or 'Mark as Solution' if you found my post useful Smiley Happy
Figgerty
Contributor 2

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?

Thanks

 

I  have finished setting up the box and apart from it being very sluggish it is fine.  I am now watching The Night Manager on BBC iPlayer  and it's working great.  When I activate the sports pass I shall not be switching to anything else but the golf on this little white box.  I was almost ecstatic when I saw Sky sports news as one of the apps but when I clicked it was only available with subscription. 

 

There is no off switch on the box so I presume I have to switch it off at the plug. Any reported fires yet?

 

As Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices, how do I get it on the laptop.  I set up my account and payment method on that but when I select "Watch Now TV" whither signed in or out, I can't see the same content as on my TV connected to the white box.  I only get the pay content options.

0 Thanks
Reply
gregan
Helper 3

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?


@Figgerty wrote:

Thanks

 

I  have finished setting up the box and apart from it being very sluggish it is fine.  I am now watching The Night Manager on BBC iPlayer  and it's working great.  When I activate the sports pass I shall not be switching to anything else but the golf on this little white box.  I was almost ecstatic when I saw Sky sports news as one of the apps but when I clicked it was only available with subscription. 

 

There is no off switch on the box so I presume I have to switch it off at the plug. Any reported fires yet?

 

As Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices, how do I get it on the laptop.  I set up my account and payment method on that but when I select "Watch Now TV" whither signed in or out, I can't see the same content as on my TV connected to the white box.  I only get the pay content options.


You can leave the box plugged in and on standby. It's meant to do that and doesn't take up much usage. The four device limit only applies to the pay tv content.  The free content such as BBC I player can only be used on the box.

Regarding the sky sports news app, this will be available when you activate the pass and 30 days afterwards I believe.

______________


Please press Thanks or 'Mark as Solution' if you found my post useful Smiley Happy
Figgerty
Contributor 2

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?


@gregan wrote:

@Figgerty wrote:

Thanks

 

I  have finished setting up the box and apart from it being very sluggish it is fine.  I am now watching The Night Manager on BBC iPlayer  and it's working great.  When I activate the sports pass I shall not be switching to anything else but the golf on this little white box.  I was almost ecstatic when I saw Sky sports news as one of the apps but when I clicked it was only available with subscription. 

 

There is no off switch on the box so I presume I have to switch it off at the plug. Any reported fires yet?

 

As Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices, how do I get it on the laptop.  I set up my account and payment method on that but when I select "Watch Now TV" whither signed in or out, I can't see the same content as on my TV connected to the white box.  I only get the pay contewhen adding snt options.


You can leave the box plugged in and on standby. It's meant to do that and doesn't take up much usage. The four device limit only applies to the pay tv content.  The free content such as BBC I player can only be used on the box.

Regarding the sky sports news app, this will be available when you activate the pass and 30 days afterwards I believe.


I'm not concerned about the box wattage use, just a bit about fires.  It is always on & there is no way of putting it on standby  that I can see - unless it's the * button on the remote.

 

It makes sense that I can only watch pay content on several devices but I wish it stated that.  You have saved me a lot of frustration in trying to solve this puzzle.  The Sports News channel content is available when any pay pass is active and for 30 days after using a sports passs.  I found that out in my Now Tv tour.  I may buy a film or entertainment pass just to have a play at pay content before I use my sports pass.  I still have to find Fox News/TV. It's listed in the PDF of available Apps but I can't find it.

 

Thanks a lot for your patience and helping me  understanding this stuff. 

0 Thanks
Reply
gregan
Helper 3

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?


@Figgerty wrote:

@gregan wrote:

@Figgerty wrote:

Thanks

 

I  have finished setting up the box and apart from it being very sluggish it is fine.  I am now watching The Night Manager on BBC iPlayer  and it's working great.  When I activate the sports pass I shall not be switching to anything else but the golf on this little white box.  I was almost ecstatic when I saw Sky sports news as one of the apps but when I clicked it was only available with subscription. 

 

There is no off switch on the box so I presume I have to switch it off at the plug. Any reported fires yet?

 

As Now TV can be viewed on up to four devices, how do I get it on the laptop.  I set up my account and payment method on that but when I select "Watch Now TV" whither signed in or out, I can't see the same content as on my TV connected to the white box.  I only get the pay contewhen adding snt options.


You can leave the box plugged in and on standby. It's meant to do that and doesn't take up much usage. The four device limit only applies to the pay tv content.  The free content such as BBC I player can only be used on the box.

Regarding the sky sports news app, this will be available when you activate the pass and 30 days afterwards I believe.


I'm not concerned about the box wattage use, just a bit about fires.  It is always on & there is no way of putting it on standby  that I can see - unless it's the * button on the remote.

 

It makes sense that I can only watch pay content on several devices but I wish it stated that.  You have saved me a lot of frustration in trying to solve this puzzle.  The Sports News channel content is available when any pay pass is active and for 30 days after using a sports passs.  I found that out in my Now Tv tour.  I may buy a film or entertainment pass just to have a play at pay content before I use my sports pass.  I still have to find Fox News/TV. It's listed in the PDF of available Apps but I can't find it.

 

Thanks a lot for your patience and helping me  understanding this stuff. 


No problem Smiley Happy

The * button is just an extra information  so if you were watching a film if you pressed * it would tell you how long is left. The box automatically goes into standby after a few minutes of non use and I haven't heard of any fires.

About those apps, if you're still using a white box if on the main screen you go to channel store , or press Apps on the white remote , you will find apps like fox news there.

______________


Please press Thanks or 'Mark as Solution' if you found my post useful Smiley Happy
Figgerty
Contributor 2

Re: Will I get be able to watch free content via the White Now Tv box?


@gregan wrote:


I'm not concerned about the box wattage use, just a bit about fires.  It is always on & there is no way of putting it on standby  that I can see - unless it's the * button on the remote.

 

It makes sense that I can only watch pay content on several devices but I wish it stated that.  You have saved me a lot of frustration in trying to solve this puzzle.  The Sports News channel content is available when any pay pass is active and for 30 days after using a sports passs.  I found that out in my Now Tv tour.  I may buy a film or entertainment pass just to have a play at pay content before I use my sports pass.  I still have to find Fox News/TV. It's listed in the PDF of available Apps but I can't find it.

 

Thanks a lot for your patience and helping me  understanding this stuff. 


No problem Smiley Happy

The * button is just an extra information  so if you were watching a film if you pressed * it would tell you how long is left. The box automatically goes into standby after a few minutes of non use and I haven't heard of any fires.

About those apps, if you're still using a white box if on the main screen you go to channel store , or press Apps on the white remote , you will find apps like fox news there.


I will sleep well tonight not worrying about a white box fire. I pressed the * button from time to time and it didn't seem to do anything but I will now use it where I think additional info should be available. I will also try the Apps again for Fox news.

 

 http://web.static.nowtv.com/email-marketing/assets/legals/NOW_TV_apps_21AUG2015.pdf    its listed here as available & I saw it elsewhere as well. 

 

Thanks and good night,

0 Thanks
Reply
Son2303
First Poster

Netflix

Hi,

 

Will we be getting Netflix app at amy point?  I am considering moving to apple TV just because I can then get access to Netflix on my TV.

 

Thanks,

 

Sonia

0 Thanks
Reply
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Netflix

@Son2303

 

Welcome to the forum.

 

The full-fat Roku boxes (of which the NOW TV box is a modified version) have access to Netflix and Amazon Instant as well as a large number of more niche apps compared to the NOW TV box. As the NOW TV box is marketed as a low-cost way of getting NOW TV and the 'traditional' channels (BBC, ITV etc) I doubt Netflix will be coming anytime soon, if ever, so as not to compete too closely with the Roku boxes, and there has been no mention of it from NOW TV themselves.

 

If you are thinking of a new device, worth having a look at the various Rokus as well as Apple TV (the NOW TV app on the Apple TV is really basic compared to the NOW TV box/Roku version).