cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Netflix coming to NowTV

NOTE TO MODS: unsure of correct forum sub-section to include this so please feel free to move if necessary Smiley Happy

Scroll down this press release a little to read more https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/media-centre/articles/en-gb/sky-and-netflix-agree-new-european-pa...

The relevant bits for us NowTV users "In the UK and Ireland, Sky will launch Netflix as a standalone app on NOW TV’s family of streaming devices including on the recently launched NOW TV Smart Stick."

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User As per your note I've moved this into the Off-Topic area as its not directly related to the Entertainment Pass, hope that's ok for you. However this is great news, must admit I never thought I'd see the day coming (and we probably wouldn't were it not for the power of Sky Q so we should thank big-Sky!)

For a lot of people I would imagine this would now mean a NOW TV box/stick ticks all the boxes. Just need to wait and see what part of this year it turns up!

Grreat spot, give yourself a medal!

image.jpeg

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User As per your note I've moved this into the Off-Topic area as its not directly related to the Entertainment Pass, hope that's ok for you. However this is great news, must admit I never thought I'd see the day coming (and we probably wouldn't were it not for the power of Sky Q so we should thank big-Sky!)

For a lot of people I would imagine this would now mean a NOW TV box/stick ticks all the boxes. Just need to wait and see what part of this year it turns up!

Grreat spot, give yourself a medal!

image.jpeg

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andywrote:

For a lot of people I would imagine this would now mean a NOW TV box/stick ticks all the boxes.

When the BT Sport app is also available as part of the new deal in 2019, it will be close to perfect for me, but still needs Prime Video to be considered the complete device for our household. 

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy

Thanks for moving the thread to its proper home Smiley Happy

To have Netflix on my Smart box will mean no more jumping between the box and the inbuilt app on my tv. I drop in and out of a Netflix sub depending on what's on but it will be a massive addition to NowTV. 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User Yeah, the only slight shame is that none of the current NOW TV hardware support 4K so for anyone wanting to watch a Netflix 4K sub they will still need to look elsewhere but with virtually every 4K TV having the Netflix app built in I can't see it being a biggie, for everyone else it will be win-win.

Amazon on NOW TV boxes may be a tougher ask given the friction between them in the past, which might just be the Roku devices saving grace, but I rarely bother with Amazon myself (just not my type of shows) so it makes my chances of upgrading my Roku 3 slimmer! 😄

ukbobboy
Legend

@Andy @Anonymous User

Hi Andy

I'm a bit confused, the Sky blurb says that Netflix is coming to Sky Q not Now TV, as I understand it Sky Q and Now TV are run as two separate entities.

Have I got this wrong?

Sceptical Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

The heading on this article confirms Netflix is coming to the NowTV boxes / smart stick as well Smiley Happy

http://www.a516digital.com/2018/03/netflix-to-arrive-on-sky-q-and-now-tv.html

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@ukbobboy No you haven't got it wrong but if you read further it states

The agreement with Netflix also extends to Sky’s contract free streaming services. In the UK and Ireland, Sky will launch Netflix as a standalone app on NOW TV’s family of streaming devices including on the recently launched NOW TV Smart Stick. Sky Ticket in Germany and Austria, and NOW TV in Italy, will launch a standalone app on their devices in due course.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy

Cheers Guys

Guess I'm too sceptical for my own good.

Anyhoo, I'll still only believe when I see it. (It's an emotional thing.)

Too Sceptical Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

@Andy

I subbed to Amazon for one month and cancelled within the first fortnight.

@ukbobboy

I copied the relevant portion from the Sky statement into my opening post re NowTV getting Netflix.