schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Re: NOW TV News

Hi @doppelganger

The volume control on the smart stick RC should operate the volume on most televisions and switch it on or off from the TV standby mode (works on my Panasonic TV).

The remote controller works over wifi rather than infra red to allow you to install the stick behind the TV.

Haven't tested the stick, but if it's like my Roku stick plus and Roku Express the 1 touch feature in the settings should switch the stick to it's correct HDMI input source should your TV support HDMI CEC.

schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @commanda6

I am starting to doubt myself now, about the RC working over WiFi.

I believe it uses IR for the TV on/ off and volume commands, but not 100% sure how the main controls work if it's over wifi or Bluetooth (my initial thought was wifi ) Smiley Embarassed

Maybe I should have let somebody who has trialed this smart stick to confirm or even better still somebody from the NowTV Team Smiley Happy

commanda6 Champion 2
Champion 2

@schnapps wrote:

Hi @commanda6

I am starting to doubt myself now, about the RC working over WiFi together with IR for the TV on/ off commands.

Maybe I should let somebody who has trialed this smart stick to confirm or even better still somebody from the NowTV Team Smiley Happy

@schnapps . I think how it works with the latest Roku point anywhere remote's is that the point anywhere aspect only relates to control of the Roku (or in this case NowTV hardware) and the IR is for controlling TV functions. This means that when users want to control an aspect ever TV such as volume or turning the TV off. They will have to point the remote at the TV.

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
4268 Champion 4
Champion 4

@commanda6 my remote doesn't need to be pointed at the TV to switch it off. Also not sure how the control works, but it is not via the HDMI as the remote controls my LG fine, but when tested on an old Bush TV it would not work. The smart stick itself works on either TV.

Please take a moment to click thanks or marked as solution if this answered your question. I am a community contributor

Chat are open 8am to Midnight:

Contact Now...

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Here's a good hands on reveiw from one of the online magazines who have tried out / tested the NowTV smart stick if anybody fancies a read.

https://www.stuff.tv/sky/now-tv-smart-stick/review

0 Thanks
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@doppelganger wrote:

Informative thread as I didn't get on the trial this time.

The sticks remote operates the TV volume - can it also switch the TV on and off? Also, can it manually select the appropriate HDMI input? Because "Device Control" on my Smart NowTV box does not function with my TV.

Is the remote WiFi Direct or via  network?

Thanks

@doppelganger

1. During setup (or later via settings) the stick will attempt to identify the TV make and you'll be prompted to go through a few steps to get this working. As long as this is successful (shouldn't have a problem for most TVs)  you'll be able to use the stick's remote to turn TV on/off and volume up/down via IR.

2. It should be able to select correct HDMI input on key press, but this uses the same CEC request as the smart NOW TV box does. If 'device control' enabled doesn't work for you currently it probably won't work on the stick (check CEC enabled on your TV)

3. It's Wifi-Direct

schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Another smart stick hands on here from Techradar if anybody is interested reading website reviews of new products.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/now-tv-smart-stick

commanda6 Champion 2
Champion 2

@Andy wrote:

@doppelganger wrote:

Informative thread as I didn't get on the trial this time.

The sticks remote operates the TV volume - can it also switch the TV on and off? Also, can it manually select the appropriate HDMI input? Because "Device Control" on my Smart NowTV box does not function with my TV.

Is the remote WiFi Direct or via  network?

Thanks

3. It's Wifi-Direct

hi @Andy

Are you sure about the remote being Wi-Fi direct? The reason why I'm not so sure it is is that if you take the battery cover off a Roku point anywhere remote, you'll see a pair button, (of course NowTV hardware is based on Roku pair button is quite unusual for a Wi-Fi direct remote. It is usually something you would find on a Bluetooth remote.

If it is Wi-Fi direct, then that means Roku have implemented Wi-Fi direct rather well because it doesn't appear to interfere with Wi-Fi connectivity in anyway. Unlike the Fire TV stick that I won't get into that hereSmiley Mad

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

commanda6 wrote:Are you sure about the remote being Wi-Fi direct?

@commanda6 It's Wi-Fi Direct! But I appreciate me just saying it is isn't much of a convincing argument! Smiley Happy

All Roku point anywhere remotes are Wi-Fi Direct though so you can easily check your Streaming Stick+ remote to verify. 

doppelganger
Regular 2

@Andy @schnapps @commanda6

Thanks for the info. My TV is LG and does have CEC. LG call it Simplink and there are the usual disclaimers around compatibility. I've yet to find a compatible device. Looks like manual switching until I get my next TV.