schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Re: NOW TV News

The Nowtv smart sticks with the different bundled passes are now showing on Argos website.

Guessing this is pre order for the anticipated availability date sometime in February Smiley Happy

https://www.argos.co.uk/browse/technology/set-top-boxes-recorders-and-satellite/smart-tv-boxes/c:302...

Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Unfortunately Argos don't do preorders, if you try to order you'll just be told there's no stock for delivery and that's that! 

Miketurn
Regular 2

A couple more questions if I may.

Can anyone give the length (approx) of the power cable (the one that goes to the plug socket), as I may need to use that?

I'm assuming there's no problem with using the stick when it's hidden round the back of the tv with no direct line of sight to the remote?

TIA.

0 Thanks
Andy Legend 5
Legend 5

@Miketurn wrote:

A couple more questions if I may.

Can anyone give the length (approx) of the power cable (the one that goes to the plug socket), as I may need to use that?

I'm assuming there's no problem with using the stick when it's hidden round the back of the tv with no direct line of sight to the remote?

TIA.

@Miketurn It's a generous 150cm (approx) and no line of sight needed for the remote.

stereohaven
Contributor 4

I'm certainly going to buy one of these at this price point, perhaps two.

With only 4 device slots available to use at any one time, the idea of using one slot on a stick that I can move around the house or take with me to a hotel is no brainer. 

I might use the other instead of the LG TV app because it will be discretely tucked away round the back and gives me live pause which is sorely missed during the football!  

Does anyone know if it comes with an HDMI extender for tight spots like a Fire TV stick? It doesn't say on the marketing page.

0 Thanks
artesea Legend 4
Legend 4

@stereohaven doesn't come with a HDMI extender, although...

@stereohaven doesn't come with a HDMI extender, although they are next to nothing on Amazon if you need one.
-----
I'm a Community Contributor not staff, so whilst I know a lot about the service I will be unable to help with any account issues.
Follow my Twitter Bots @NowTVCatchup @NowTVBoxset and @NowTVFilms for updates on content added and leaving NOW TV.
Did you find this post useful, why not give some Thanks?
Miketurn
Regular 2

@Andy wrote:

@Miketurn It's a generous 150cm (approx) and no line of sight needed for the remote.

Thanks, sounds perfect. Smiley Happy

danielcrawford
Regular 2

I found this hidden page about the Smart Stick on the official Now TV website if anyone's interested: www.nowtv.com/smart-tv-stick

0 Thanks
doppelganger
Regular 2

Informative thread as I didn't get on the trial this time.

The sticks remote operates the TV volume - can it also switch the TV on and off? Also, can it manually select the appropriate HDMI input? Because "Device Control" on my Smart NowTV box does not function with my TV.

Is the remote WiFi Direct or via  network?

Thanks

0 Thanks
commanda6 Champion 2
Champion 2

@doppelganger wrote:

Informative thread as I didn't get on the trial this time.

The sticks remote operates the TV volume - can it also switch the TV on and off? Also, can it manually select the appropriate HDMI input? Because "Device Control" on my Smart NowTV box does not function with my TV.

Is the remote WiFi Direct or via  network?

Thanks

Hi @doppelganger

I can't give you a 100% definitive answer but, as with all NowTV hardware. This will be based off Roku kit The wireless remote on standard Roku kit seems to communicate using Bluetooth not Wi-Fi direct. To be honest Bluetooth is better because it won't interfere with your Wi-Fi networking in any way.  I have a Roku streaming stick plus and if you take the battery cover off the point anywhere remote, you can see a pair button. This seems to suggest that the remote does indeed use Bluetooth.

For controlling the TV. The remote will send commands to the stick, stick will in turn communicate with the TV via HDMI 

On reflection, what @schnapps  on the next page has said about TV control is probably more correct. I forgot that the streaming stick plus remote has an IR strip at the front 

Perhaps @Karl-F can give a more definitive answer

I do not work for now TV. I am simply a NowTV customer trying to help I am a Community Contributor This means that I know a lot about the service. But just like you I am still a customer. This means I cannot help you with issues that would involve looking into your account directly. A member of the now TV forum team or live chat will need to assist you with these issues.

If you find posts on the community useful or helpful can you give them Thanks By pressing the thumbs up button. If a post solves a problem you are having can you mark it as an accepted solution.