cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Music and Fashion

Just for a bit of fun, i thought that i would open a thread about music and fashion that has come and gone over the years.

When i was younger there was so many different music and fashion trends where either when you was in school or walking the street, or in a pub etc where you could tell sometimes the way younger people dressed what sort of music that they liked or the bands or artists they were into.

I would be interested to know what was your past or current music tastes and if you ever followed any particular trend of fashion over the years or items of clothing you loved wearing at the time.

Personally my music varied from many genres from Rock, Pop and Electronic Dance Music where since about the mid nineties i have lost touch / track of the modern music and fashion trends.

Two items of fashion clothing that i really loved to wear was my Kickers Shoes (does anybody remember them) and my Doctor Martin boots (still own two pairs of Doc Martin shoes that are extremely comfortable to wear).

Just to get the ball rolling here are a few music / fashion scenes that i have seen come and go through the generations

Mods

mods2.jpg 

Rockers

HL2236-001_1.jpg

Teddy Boys

TEDDYBOYRED.jpg

Punks

Punks-in-the-West-End-in-1977.-1024x682.jpg

Ska Two Tone

hqdefault.jpg

New Romantics

newromatics.jpg

1980's Heavy Metal

Metalhead_Kids.jpg

Goths

tumblr_lidxm3V8gm1qepv9eo1_1280.png

Grunge

tumblr_mpvlpcmu4e1s9w5wgo1_5001.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Forgot to add Rap on my list Smiley Embarassed

I will always remember that your Volkswagen car was not safe at night when the Beastie Boys came on the scene and they used to wear the VW badge with the excessively large over the top neck chains.

There was a craze where kids were nicking the VW badges off cars to copy the Beastie Boys which was big news in the national papers, where i believed also VW offered owners and fans replacement VW  badges for free which was good advertising on VW part.

Rap

run-dmc.jpg

Beastie Boys with the VW badge neck chain.

beastie-boys1.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Anybody remember 1984 when Frankie Goes to Hollywood dominated the UK charts and all the clothing market traders around the country was selling the "Frankie Says" t-shirts.

I still occasionally play their LP album "Welcome to the Pleasure Dome" which sounds fantastic on my HiFi system especially the extended mix versions Smiley Happy

872efa85280cf76cafcaa394d12dd087.jpgjr-frankie-says-relax-t-shirt.2.jpg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

The photo below are the kickers shoes that i loved wearing durng the early nineties when going out on the Weekends, these and the Doc Martens are the best causal shoes that i have had pleasure of owning.

s-l1000.jpg

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Blimey @schnapps fashion and music now, it's positively Bohemian in the forum these days. Looking forward to your fine wine and dining thread next week!

I'm afraid again I won't be much use in this thread, no horrendous photos of me in New Age kimonos. I only had a passing interest in music as a kid with the occasional enthusiastic phase for a week or two. And fashion didn't reflect my music listening, just went with whatever was popular among friends at the time. Various tightnesses of jeans was the usual attire with an occasional shell suit in the late 80s, fitted in well with a bit of Salt n Pepa on the ghetto blaster.

image.jpeg

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Andy

The only Bohemian that i have ever experienced was taking Art O level in school and having "Moulin Rouge" movie in my Blu-ray collection which i must admit i enjoy watching this film from time to time mainly for the music soundtracks Smiley Happy

I don't believe that this thread is that way off the beaten track which has some relevance with off topic discussions, if you think about the Sky Arts channel and what content it offers, (but to be honest i wasn't expecting much interest on the subject unless somebody stumbles accross it in the future and wanted to reminisce some music and fashion nostalgia on here) Smiley Very Happy

Don't worry i won't be starting a wine or cheese thread where i don't particular like wine where our beverages are much preferred and my only knowledge of cheese is the stuff that you put on top of pizzas, burgers, toast and in sandwiches (yummy which is making me hungry now) Smiley Very Happy 

With regards to Salt - N - Pepa, i loved the single "Push it" together with Neneh Cheery's song "Buffalo Stance" which i enjoyed dancing too in our local Discotheque Smiley Happy 

Talking about tracksuits, i remember in the early eighties when wearing Dunlop, Slazenger or even Fred Perry was not cool and to be hip and in the gang you had to wear the expensive trendy brands at the time such as Kappa, Ellesse,Sergio Tacchini or Lacoste designer clothing where the tracksuits / shell suits where being sold in sports or clothing shops for extortionate prices.

Unfortunately my parents couldn't afford the prices so i had to settle for the cheap and cheerful tracksuits and wasn't in with the "in crowd" Smiley Sad

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Oh ye Neneh Cherry she used to get me hot under the school tie, used to know all the words to Buffalo Stance, all together now

Who's that gigolo on the street
With his hands in his pockets and his crocodile feet

image.gif

I thought Manchild was great as well. I had the CD album but as is often the case those two turned out to be the only good tracks on the album! 😄 (having said that I also had Salt n Pepa's A Salt With a Deadly Pepa and there were no duffers on that album at all).

I could do a mean impression of Paula Abdul's Straight Up as well but that's best left to the imagination ...

Ah yes shell suits and designer labels - I remember I had an Adidas one in various combinations of blue, purple, turquoise and orange. Now I say Adidas but my brother-in-law got it me for free, he lives in Manchester and it wasn't even my birthday so I'm pretty sure it was knock-off. But I'm also pretty sure everyone else's were knock-off as well so it never dented what little street cred I had ...

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Andy

I wasn't keen on the Manchild single, however i thought Neneh Cherry collaboration with Youssou N'Dour on the single called 7 seconds was a good song.

Talking about crushes when i was a red hot blooded school boy, i had a soft spot in my heart for Debbie Harry of Blondie and was also a fan of the band where my favourite album from them was Parallel Lines (a classic).

Where the Female Artist that really got my heart rate pumping has a school teenager was Kim Wilde (I thought she was gorgeous) wasn't so keen on her music though apart from her first single "Kids in America" and her two follow up songs "Cambodia" and "You keep me hangin' on".

I would say those two were the first women on my long list of crushes of Female Stars in the Media, where i also told you of my more recent crush on another thread recently (the rest on the list are my secret and for my eyes only) Smiley Very Happy

Debbie-Harry12.jpg

Blondie_-_Parallel_Lines.jpg 

4977344.png

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps Oh ye I remember Keep Me Hanging On that was everywhere, and I'm quite a Blondie fan, although they were a bit before my time., my kind of music tho.

When I was at school I remember there was plenty of debate among us lads over whether you were Team Tiffany

image.jpeg

or Team Debbie Gibson

image.jpeg

I was always Team Tiffany, DG was too much of a goody-goody but it was a furious debate at times I remember!!

Still as you say let's not go into schoolboy crushes too much, it will get very embarrassing very quickly!! 😉

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

How could i have forgotten about the Disco phase in the evolution of music and fashion Smiley Embarassed

I was only young at the time but i remember some of the bands and artist during the Disco Era such as Donna Summer (fantastic songs like "I feel love", "Hot Stuff") Sister Sledge, Abba, Chic, Jackson Five and My favourite The Bee Gees Smiley Very Happy

Wasn't too keen on the fashion (especially those flared Trousers or Jeans that people wore in the seventies) but i can only imagine the Nightclub scene with the glittering disco balls, dance floor coloured lights and lighting strobes every where boogie on down to the music would have been such a vibrant atmosphere and enjoyable fun to have experienced.

The fashion was shocking with flared trousers, bright open big collar shirts with all that gold jewellery and silly platform shoes.

lrgscaleEM-3115_800.jpgixfx6x1-3.jpg

Also i remember the Disco Roller craze where teenagers where staking to songs like Gloria Gaynor "I will survive" which was a massive hit towards the end the Disco trend.

Must also mentioned that the best ever movie for a song introduction has got to be Saturday Night Fever with the Bee Gees performing "Staying Alive" the album still sounds fresh today has it did back in the Disco days IMO.