NOW TV Box maintenance on 23 August Click here for more info
Contributor 2

Re: Latest update removing dev mode

[ Edited ]

razza67 wrote:
im sure that if now tv own the firmware but you own the device they still need your permission to update your device with there firmware including any changes to the device operation. you must allow the update not wake up to find the update took place without your permission.

Correct. It is why Microsoft, or Apple, must get permission to update your PC.  You do not own the software, but they cannot update the software on a computer you own with permission. 

Anyone who has ever set up a PC is the last few years will have noticed they get asked quite explicitly how updates should be done. You can choose to have them done automatically, or just be informed about the updates. The key bit is that you are being asked to make a deliberate decision. This is because MS, Apple, and others understand UK and EU law, and know that is what is required. 

Now TV is seems do not. That they still have been able to offer a definitive explanation suggests they know they if they do they will admitting to breaking the law. I am sure if they had nothing to hide they would be more than happy to explain themselves. 

Now I am coming at this from an IT background, where I was expected to have an understanding of the law. I have more than once had to draw up guidelines on computer missue, and those guidelines were praised by the solcititers who checked them. So have some idea what I am talking about. 

Contributor 2

Tibbin

My last post got deleted before anyone from Now TV told me how I could get hold of Tibbin.  

I still have not had a reply to an email I sent on 29th March, other than emails saying I will hear back shortly. I was promised an reply by this evening. This turned out to be a lie, because no reply has been sent. 

I have tried getting hold of Tibbin via online chat, but was told he was in today. Yet he told me he was on duty this evening. So someone is not telling me the truth. Do Now TV not think their staff have to do what they say they will do?

Champion 4

Latest update removing dev mode

[ Edited ]

MattPenfold wrote:

My last post got deleted before anyone from Now TV told me how I could get hold of Tibbin.  

Your 'last post' did not get deleted @MattPenfold, it got moved into this topic!

• If I've been helpful please press the THANKS button • If I've been really helpful please also press the ACCEPT SOLUTION button • Please note: I'm not a NOW TV employee, I'm a regular NOW TV customer, like you! •

LG TV 1 = Model no: 43UH668V | Software: 04.30.70 | OS: webOS 3.31 • LG TV 2 = Model no: 65UH770V | Software: 04.31.10 | webOS •

All TV's = NOW TV app: 2.26.0 | Post Processing Features: All disabled  • Networking Spec = ISP: Virgin Media (75Mbps) | Devices connection type: Wired | IP address type: Fixed (device permitting) •

Contributor 2

Tibbin

This is the third time I posted about this. The two previous comments have been deleted. I cannot understand why I am following the advice of a NOW TV manager by the name of Gagan. He says there are three ways to contact Now TV. By online chat, by email and via the forums. 

I have tried email. My email has not been replied to in over two weeks. Not even an update on what is happening. So clearly email does not work. I have also tried the online chat. I did that yesterday, when I was promised I would get a reply to my email today. No reply has been received. I used online chat again today, and am speaking to a manager as the moment. 

All I want is a reply to me email. It is not a lot to ask, yet it when I asked that I get a replied Now TV staff are not honest with me. Even their manager accepts I was misled, and will be getting the person to apologise.  What does it take to get someone at Now TV do give an answer? 

Contributor 2

[ Edited ]

But what does dishonesty of Now TV staff have to do with this topic? 

But tell you what, why not have a go a defending a Now TV staff member lying to me. What excuse can you come up with? 

One thing, when moving a post it is customary to note that is what has happened in some way. It is basic manners.  Did you mean to suggest your manners are a bit lacking? 

Contributor 1

copywrite protection would be easy if they could update firmware in any device containing illegal material by a simple update but as we all know, you have to get permission from the device owner to update software that wipes out anything that may be classed as illegal. now tv or should i say the sky corporation seem to think otherwise.
Contributor 1

@MattPenfold

What PC have you set up recently that gives you the option of updates? (I assume its an old version of Windows)

Windows 10 on the PC does not give you an option, updates are mandatory, you can delay them if you have the Pro version, but you cannot officially stop them, with the Home verion you have no options, you get the updates when they are released

Xbox One does the same, you cannot stop the updates, just search for Snap removed, many are complaining that MS removed this features without options to keep it

Updates for the above are all done in the background, exactly the same as Now do with the NowTV box

Highlighted
Contributor 1

[ Edited ]

Type in Services in windows 10 search box. Scroll down to Windows Update and change to disable Job done. No more updates unless you allow it.

I am also currently looking into disabling Now TV Updates as I have some older unused boxes. Will update if I start to get anywhere. 

Mentor 2

@MattPenfold @razza67

Hi Matt

I just had a word with Ofcom and was advised that as this was a commercial decision made by Sky/NowTV the next step would be to contact the following:

Communications Ombudsman Services

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications/contact-us

However, if this does not work out then the next step would be to contact

Citizens Advice Bureau

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

for independent legal advice.

UK Bob

Contributor 2

ukbobboy wrote:

@MattPenfold @razza67

Hi Matt

I just had a word with Ofcom and was advised that as this was a commercial decision made by Sky/NowTV the next step would be to contact the following:

Communications Ombudsman Services

https://www.ombudsman-services.org/sectors/communications/contact-us

However, if this does not work out then the next step would be to contact

Citizens Advice Bureau

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk

for independent legal advice.

UK Bob

As I said previously given that unauthorized modification of a computing device is a criminal offence under the computer missuse act then the next step is to report the crime to the police.