Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Internet Radio

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

I guessing that you are a man that likes your electronics and are not afraid to experiment with or try out new equipment.

I say the above because I wanted to know if you have ever owned or still have an Internet Radio?

You see, I have been bouncing around the idea of getting such a radio for myself but, I must admit, I am somewhat hesitant. 

So, I guess, I want to find out about your user experience, if you have any, and if you can say whether you enjoy or regret owning such an item?

Later.

UK Bob

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Forgot to mention that there is Tunein App on both the Roku Players and NowTV boxes in the Channel / App Store if you fancy a listen and just to dip your toes in the internet radio stations Smiley Happy

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps @Andy @Mark_Weinreb @caseyb1993

Hi Guys

I've decided to takes Schnapps advice and stick with the Tunein app on my Roku 3, at the moment Tunein gives me what I want and I don't think I'll get enough use out of an Internet Radio to justify the cost.

Also, during my research I found out that although most radios have high sound quality some of them are prone to early failure, i.e. within 12 months.

To conclude, I'll stick with Tunein for now or until I can justify the £100.00+ cost to myself.

Peace out.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

SHOUTcast Radio is another App in the Roku channels Store that might be worth looking at if you are going to use your Roku 3 player for listening to the internet radio Smiley Happy

According to the SHOUTcast website they have over 49,000 internet radio stations (including a talk section) Smiley Happy

Might be something on there that takes your fancy Smiley Very Happy

Never tried the App myself, so I can't comment if there is anything on there which would interest you.

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Cheers Schnapps

I'll definitely check out SHOUTcast Radio.

UK Bob

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

Just to let you know, I'm really enjoy using the Tunein channel/app and I'm now able to rediscover talk radio, I do like listen to alternative, but not extremist, views and hear how most people take a reasonable common sense approach to most situations.

However, I've found that Tunein will easily save a UK Internet/radio station to my favourites but will not save an English speaking foreign one, whenever I try my Roku 3 crashes out to it's home page.

Later on, I'll see if the same thing happens with SHOUTcast.

Peace.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy

Only just noticed on my Roku that there is an internet radio App called " My Tuner Radio" Smiley Happy

The App UI seems pretty good to me, where sound seems excellent through my soundbar.

If you are not aware of the App it might be worth checking it out on your Roku player (hopefully there is some internet radio stations or podcasts that may be of some interest to you) ?

PS ~ To change the country just click on the UK flag symbol in the top LHS of the App Smiley Wink

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps

Hi Schnapps

I tried to click "Thanks" on your post but that function does not seem to work, anyway I'll take a look for "My Tuner Radio" later on.

UK Bob

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy 

The Tunein App on my NowTV box had an update this morning with a fresh new user interface.

I had a quick play around with the new layout and it's a big improvement in my opinion where the old layout was a bit clunky and not user friendly.

I am guessing your Roku Player had the same update and are you still using Tunein ?

ukbobboy
Legend

@schnapps 

Hi Schnapps

I had to re-read the thread to get the full flavour of what it was about and why I started it.  Yeah, it has certainly been a time since I travelled this route and, as I listen and smile at the tunes I'm now listening to, I wonder why I lost track of this great app.

Anyway, yes it seems less clunky, from what I remember, and it is very enjoyable.

Simply put, I guess I lost track coz' I started to pay more attention to my digital album purchases, well over 300 + now, and I get my international news updates and tech info/news from YouTube

Listening to some throwback music, i.e. sounds like stuff I use to listen to in my teens but they're actually recent creations.  Yes, this is certainly great stuff.

Thanks for opening my eyes (but mainly my ears) again.

UK Bob

PS.  Since using Tunein the thought of using an Internet Radio has completely vanished.