cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

How are Devices identified

Hi,

I'm a new user - having received a Now TV Smart Box for Christmas.

Having become accustomed to Netflix I was surprised to see a limit on the number of devices that can be used. Restricting to two simultaneous sessions at any one time makes sense, however limiting devices doesn't. We have a smart blu-ray player, smart TV, Now TV box and three laptops in our houshold - well over the maximum four device limit. Two of the laptops are multiboot systems.

Does anyone know what information is used to identify the different devices once they are registered?

Reason I ask is because the laptop I am using to write this is a multiboot system with three different operating systems on it. If I log on to Now TV from the different Operating Systems on the same hardware will they be registered as seperate devices? Whilst I could test this by watching movies from two different OS's on the same system I'm reluctant to waste one of the limited devices by doing so.

So is anyone able to confirm how devices are identified?

Using the MAC address would make sense - however if the same laptop is connected via a wifi card and then ethernet, then that's two seperate devices.

Regards,

a n00b

10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous User
Not applicable

I'm in the exact same situation.

I totally understand the need to limit the number of streams, and think 2 is fair.

But limiting where those two are used is....well....limiting 🙂