cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Free view channels

I have just got a now tv stick I have set it up but I can’t get free view channels 

8 REPLIES 8
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @Anonymous User 

You won't get the full Freeview over the air TV channels with the nowtv stick or nowtv 4K smart box.

The only product in the nowtv line that offered an inbuilt Freeview TV tuner by connecting an aerial to it was the discontinued nowtv Freeview smart box like in the picture shown below.

With all other branded nowtv devices the only option is the Catchup Apps such has BBC iPlayer, ITV Hub etc.

Smart_Box_main.png

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

I have just got a now tv stick I have set it up but I can’t get free view channels 

That’s right; there was a short-lived NowTV box that had a TV tuner in it, into which you could plug a TV aerial and get Freeview, but it died of absurdity, which included a remote that had no number buttons you could select channels with.

So the Stick, and the current boxes, can only get Freeview channels which are also available over the internet. e.g., you can get all the BBC channels, live, on the included BBC iPlayer, and the same for itv. But the All4 and Channel 5 Players don’t offer the live channels.

However, it is extremely likely (though not 100% certain) that the device you are watching NowTV on (usually, but not always a TV set) will be capable of Freeview reception.

So you could watch Freeview there. Or are your circumstances such that this won’t work for you?

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

@RoyB wrote:

@Anonymous User wrote:

That’s right; there was a short-lived NowTV box that had a TV tuner in it, into which you could plug a TV aerial and get Freeview, but it died of absurdity, which included a remote that had no number buttons you could select channels with.

So the Stick, and the current boxes, can only get Freeview channels which are also available over the internet. e.g., you can get all the BBC channels, live, on the included BBC iPlayer, and the same for itv. But the All4 and Channel 5 Players don’t offer the live channels.

However, it is extremely likely (though not 100% certain) that the device you are watching NowTV on (usually, but not always a TV set) will be capable of Freeview reception.

So you could watch Freeview there. Or are your circumstances such that this won’t work for you?

Never quite understood the rationale behind that box from a Now TV perspective. People bought themes a highly subsidised tuner to get HD channels on older TVs and never subscribed to Now at all.  But then I suppose many do that with the new stick and Netflix.

It is possible to get TV player on a Roku stick and get many of the freeview channels, but alas not on the Now TV stick. 

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User  @RoyB @Anonymous User @schnapps 

Hi Sdyer

If you cannot get the full range of freeview channels on your current TV then you can always buy a dedicated freeview box from Amazon UK, check out this URL:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=freeview+tv+box&i=electronics&crid=WFYH6V5N22C3&sprefix=Freeview%2Caps%2C168&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

UK Bob 

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User  @RoyB @Anonymous User @schnapps 

Hi Sdyer

If you cannot get the full range of freeview channels available from your local transmitter on your current TV then you can always buy a dedicated freeview box from Amazon UK, check out this URL:-

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=freeview+tv+box&i=electronics&crid=WFYH6V5N22C3&sprefix=Freeview%2Caps%2C168&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_8

UK Bob 

Cheers UK Bob

I hope you don’t mind my qualification, above in underlined bold, of your helpful advice.

Relay transmitters usually carry only a cut-down selection of channels, known colloquially as Freeview Lite, and if a user’s TV already gets all of these, a box as above won’t get any more, unless it can pull in a main transmitter that the TV can’t.

As ever, unless you have a rather old SD-only set, and need an additional box to get HD channels, a consultation with a local aerial fitter is usually the best first step towards getting more Freeview channels than the TV or other device currently pulls in. 

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it.
That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User 

Hi again Sdyer

I'm afraid that your amendment  to my post, i.e. available from your local transmitter , has entirely changed the meaning of the information I want to convey.

Simply because, if you cannot get the full range of freeview channels from your local transmitter then buying a dedicated freeview box will not make any difference, in other words the FW box cannot show you channels that it cannot find. 

UK Bob 

RoyB
Legend

@ukbobboy wrote:

@Anonymous User 

Hi again Sdyer

I'm afraid that your amendment  to my post, i.e. available from your local transmitter , has entirely changed the meaning of the information I want to convey.

Simply because, if you cannot get the full range of freeview channels from your local transmitter then buying a dedicated freeview box will not make any difference, in other words the FW box cannot show you channels that it cannot find. 

UK Bob 

Hi again @ukbobboy 

That was me, not @Anonymous User made the attempted clarifying amendment.

Clearly, we both agree on what we mean; but don’t you think your original posting was the one that could lead people into that fallacy - “Ooh, I can only get 42 channels here, but UK Bob says if I buy this box, I’ll get the full range” while my amendment covered exactly the point that ‘the FW box cannot show you channels that it cannot find’. 

You and I and lots of other people will know full well that’s how terrestrial television works; but in a thread puzzling why a stick connected only to the internet can’t get Freeview channels, we should not assume that that level of knowledge is universal.

ukbobboy
Legend

@RoyB  @Anonymous User 

Hi Roy

For some reason, I had thought Sdyer made the amendment, that's what I get for not triple checking before posting (or I'm just getting too old) Smiley Frustrated 

Second, when I answered Sdyer's post I looked at it with a very narrow lens, i.e. I did not anticipate anything beyond the confines of his post, which was "... got a now tv stick ... but I can't get free view channels", and, unfortunately, nothing more. 

Come to think about it, that's how I answer all the posts I reply to, always literally.

UK Bob