cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ukbobboy
Legend

Does the NowTV Black Box use DLNA and/or UPnP?

@Andy @4268 @SeeMoreDigital @Anonymous User

Dear Forum Members (especially those who are technically aware)

Does anyone know if our current black box, and even the smart box, make use of DLNA and or UPnP?

I know these tech options that use to make IT kit from one manufacturer work with kit from another, are pretty old now but I was wondering if DLNA and UPnP were still being used?

UK Bob

4 REPLIES 4
SeeMoreDigital
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @ukbobboy,

DLNA/UPnP is effectively one and the same...

EDIT: For more info look here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Living_Network_Alliance

ukbobboy
Legend

@SeeMoreDigital

Hi SMD

Well not quite, they perform similar functions but are pushed/supported by different companies.

Anyway, an interesting side issue nonetheless.

BTW, I now have my replacement smart box and, as you said, the voucher is exactly the same as before, i.e. no indication of how long the viewing period is suppose to last.

UK Bob

Anonymous User
Not applicable

No you can't use DLNA servers on it,DNLA server is a server like PS3 Media Server,Universal Media Server,and the server windows has builtin when you shere video files on your PC via PMS ,UMS or windows.If you look up Plex thats the only way of shering your own video files on the Now TV Box.The only way to use DLNA is to instll a app on the box that uses a DLNA server on your PC,and there isn't one.

The best DLNA server there is,is UMS.(Universal Media Server) Thats the one I use with my PS4.

ukbobboy
Legend

@Anonymous User

Hi Nick

Well, you may be right about Windows, PS3, etc. but, as you can imagine, there are a great variety of equipment combinations and even more NowTV users that use those combinations.

For example, I use a ReadyNAS Duo v2 computer which runs a version of Linux, it also has both UPnP and DLNA facilities which can be individually turned on or off and is connected to my NowTV black box via wi-fi.

Now, whether DLNA or UPnP is used in the connection process is unknown to me but I did find out, about a 2 years ago, that UPnP was utilised in my NAS's connection to my white box that  I used at the time.

Mind you, this has been an interesting diversion because as long as our systems work properly then that is all that matters.

UK Bob