cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous User
Not applicable

Chromebook compatability

Good Afternoon,

I have a Chromebook and would really like to be able to watch NowTV on this but it doesn't work. Searching older posts would suggest this is something to do with NowTV using Microsoft Silverlight which is not compatable with Chromebooks.

Could I check if this is still the case and if so can anything be done to rectify this? I appreciate that if it's a bigger Microsoft issue then it's unlikely that NowTV would have much room to manouver. However, could NowTv use a different delivery method that doesn't rely on Silverlight?

I can use every other streaming service on my Chromebook except NowTv so it would be great if NowTv could be included too!

Many thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User

Unfortunately Chromebook still isn't supported by NOW TV, although for a slightly different reason now - they've moved away from in-browser viewing via Silverlight (although for the time being it still works on Windows with IE11) and now use a dedicated NOW TV Player helper app to serve up browser play requests. However the helper app is only available for Windows and Mac systems. 

I've no idea if Chromebook support is on the cards, but if you haven't already have a look at the following list of supported devices in case you have something else already that you can use eg tablet, games console, streaming box. If not, a NOW TV box is probably the cheapest option.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now-tv

Anonymous User
Not applicable

Which is not evident until you bought the pass, utterly disggraceful

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User wrote:

Which is not evident until you bought the pass, utterly disgraceful

@Anonymous User 

Which is one of the reasons Now offer 7 day free trials,

Now also list compatible devices on the website, where potential Chromebook users can check and find their devices not listed, but this does take a bit more research than just trying it.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
Anonymous User
Not applicable

i have had the same problem i use a chromebook also and i just got now tv app which i have paid for yet it wont work because of something called silverlight.

is there anyway i can bypass this?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Anonymous User 

Best to ask a member of staff at NOW via Live chat. Just click on "chat online"

https://help.nowtv.com/article/how-to-submit-a-complaint

Although according to the link, Chromebook is not a support device. 

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-devices-can-i-use-to-watch-now

Laptops and computers
Select to find out how to watch NOW on your PC or Mac.

You can stream NOW on your Windows PC or a Mac by downloading the NOW Player.

Windows

Follow these steps to get the NOW Player on a Windows PC or laptop.

Keep in mindYou can no longer stream via the Windows 8/10 app – you'll need to download the Player to watch.

Mac

Follow theses steps to get the NOW Player on a Mac.

Not supported at the moment: Chromebook

FYI that I do not work for NOW, just a NOW customer trying to help
dna
Advocate

The really stupid thing is that Chromebooks now support Android apps so this could easily be done through that. It is Sky/Now who choose to make this unavailable and I have no IDEA why!

RoyB
Legend

@Anonymous User 

The app is free, so I think what you paid for must have been a membership.

But there is a 7-day free trial of each membership, so you could have used this to determine that you couldn’t use a Chromebook, and saved your money 😢

@dna 

The only non-mobile-phone Android devices supported by Now are Sony Android TVs.

Nvidia Shield owners have the same gripe you do.

Set a Payment PIN on your account so that no-one but you can buy memberships on it. Check your bank accounts monthly for any other unexpected payments to Now. That way you can at least nip them in the bud, while you and Now figure out whose fault they are.
dna
Advocate
Thanks RoyB but the reason for my frustration is that the app used to work
without issue on a Chromebook, some time agao now, but for some reason
(possibly technical) Now decided not to support it or find a cure for it
being broken.
RoyB
Legend

@dna 

It would be a commercial decision for Now to support Chromebooks, and that was one they haven’t made (yet?)

But if and when they do, it will have to keep up with all the twists and turns of the underlying platform; I bet there were a few quirks with it even when it ‘worked’.

If I was Now, in that situation, I’d make sure my software didn’t work on that platform at all, going forward, unless and until I put the effort in to make it officially supported there.