Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

Anime discussion - all welcome!

@caseyb1993 @Anonymous User 

Thought it was about time we had our own anime thread, now I'm getting addicted to it I feel we need a dedicated area to go anime mad. Maybe we will find some more anime fans on here as well .... ANYBODY? Say hello!!!!!

357 REPLIES 357
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS

Snap!!

Spoiler

Oh dear! I hope you enjoyed it more than I did!

I didn't reckon much to Light at all, bland acting, no depth. L was better but by the end he ended up seeming bonkers rather than brilliant, it didn't help that the actors were a little on the old side to be convincing teenagers.

Mia was a poor substitute for Misa (surely she wouldn't have have accepted the Death Note idea so easily?) and every time Ryuk turned up (which wasn't very often) it just seemed like WD was doing his Green Goblin again.

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy Same here! I have the end credits paused right this second! 😮

MORE SPOILERS.

Spoiler
Now I quite liked this version of Ryuk. WD did a really good job in my opinion.
Is it weird that I also liked this L? I don't know what it is but I thought he was one of the better characters in this. 
Light and Mia were just a total cringe fest. Why did their have to be a sex scene?? Very mild yes but still not needed at all. 

The effects were appalling. It was trying to hard to be bloody and gory that you could see the dummies. 😞

Also, where on earth was the "I will take a potato chip...AND EAT IT..." scene? Grrrrr.

Also check out Adam Wingard's twitter. The guy cannot take criticism! 
I am not staff, I am a customer that likes to help,
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

THIS POST CONTAINS SPOILERS

Spoiler

Yeah, I mean I know you have to treat the movie and the anime (or book, or whatever) on their own merits, but when you think of say the Harry Potter series, despite condensing huge books into single movies they always kept the essence of Potter - it felt like a Potter movie. I just didn't get this movie feeling with a Death Note movie, it was just another teenage action horror angst.

I reckon if we'd watched this not knowing the anime it might have been different and clever, but whilst I'm not a fan of over long movies in general, if they'd have given it an extra hour to allow them to add the depth it was missing it could have been so much better.

And seriously the end credits - did we really need to see a gag reel spoiling what little atmosphere it did manage to evoke!?! Whose daft idea was that!!

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy SPOILERS (sort of)

Spoiler
I have still given it a thumps up rating. (Has the star rating system gone, or is it because it is a new release?)
Even though it was bad, it is too hard to give it a thumbs down. 😞
I will give it another go before Netflix expires.

BTW, what about when Light met Ryuk screaming his head off? 😄
so please click the Thank You/Thumbs Up button if I helped you out and maybe even accept it as a solution? 🙂
Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Oh ye it's not a disaster by a long way, just a disappointment when you think how much better it would have been with a decent actor for Light and a better part written for Mia/Misa.

Poor @ukbobboy has got a dilemma though. Normally he doesn't agree with any of my opinions and agrees with all of yours .... he'll need to come up with a a creative solution! 😄

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy I remember a few years ago, me and some friends were discussing who could play a good Light. I thought Zac Efron would have been a neat choice. 

I think it was the High School Musical hair. (Hated the films). 

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993 Spooky you should say that ...

https://youtu.be/ues4UM6W9Ec

complete video here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgZvHgWkHIU
caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy That is weird... 😮

Spoiler
Seriously though, didn't you like Ryuk? I loved him. 😮
He was worth the Netflix fee alone. 😄 😄

Andy
Legend 5
Legend 5

@caseyb1993

Spoiler
Oh yeah he was great, I wished he'd been in it more, just lurking in the background, walking behind them even if he didn't say anything (the voice was also pretty spot on, but I always think of Green Goblin when I think of WD so that messed with my brain!) The Ferris wheel scene was pretty good as well!

PS told you mine, so what you got lined up for the rest of your Netflixing? 🙂

caseyb1993
Legend 5
Legend 5

@Andy 

Spoiler
I think L got L's anime mannerisms (hope that makes sense) pretty spot on! The voice, the eating sweeties alot, the posture... A great L in my book. 🙂

Excuse the pun. 😄

Yeah that was a pretty good scene! It kind of reminded me of The Amazing Spiderman 2 😉

I might try Rick and Morty, and Suits. 🙂