cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Saint1976
Elite 2

Re: Star Sport and Disney HotStar for Test Cricket

@timvenner123 I think the ashes will be fine. To be honest, if they're on Amazon and part of Prime Video (like the Premier League) it will be relatively cheap to view in comparison to other broadcasters.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@timvenner123  and for info @Saint1976 @schnapps 

Stumbled across this re the cricket for you @timvenner123 

https://advanced-television.com/2021/01/29/c4-sky-bt-eye-england-vs-india-test-rights/

C4, Sky, BT eye England vs India Test rights

Global rights holder Star Sports, owned by Disney, is in advanced talks with several UK broadcasters for the rights to England’s four-match Test series in India which begins on February 5th.

Channel 4 are among the front-runners to acquire the rights, which would see Test cricket return to free-to-air television for the first time in some 16 years, but Sky and BT Sport are also in the running. The sharing of rights between multiple broadcasters is also a possibility.

It had previously been rumoured that Star would opt to show the four-match series on their Hotstar streaming platform. But the BCCI, Indian cricket’s governing body, are reportedly insisting that the rights holder fulfil a contractual obligation to make it available on a linear UK channel.

With a potential large TV audience for the Test as a result of the UK being back in lockdown, Star are confident their £20 million asking price will be met

0 Thanks
timvenner123
Mentor

Very encouraging news !   Channel 4, eh !   Wow  -  free-to-view;  I remember that in the good old days !
Thanks
Tim
0 Thanks
Saint1976
Elite 2

@gavs82008 @timvenner123 yeah have seen a few articles this morning with one mentioning Channel 4 and BT putting a joint bid in.

All a bit last minute but hoping something is sorted for my 4:30am cricket fix! I don't fancy fiddling around with other means of viewing at that time!

0 Thanks
timvenner123
Mentor

I do hope we get to see it.  It promises to be a really exciting series.  Root, Kohli + the spinners. Good test for Sibley and Crawley/Burns
Tim
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

According to the Guardian today it looks like a deal has been done with Channel 4.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/02/channel-4-wins-rights-for-england-test-cricket-tour-of... 

View solution in original post

timvenner123
Mentor

Yippee !

Tim
0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@timvenner123 

Not sure if this is of much help to you, but I have stumbled across this today.

https://advanced-television.com/2021/03/31/discovery-eyes-ashes-rights/

Discovery, the multichannel broadcaster, has emerged as a surprise contender to acquire the rights to this winter’s Ashes cricket series as part of attempt to boost significantly sporting content across its platforms.

According to reports, Discovery is preparing to take on BT Sport and Sky Sports for a four-year package worth in over £50 million for the UK rights to the popular cricket tour that pits England against Australia. Amazon is said to have ruled itself out of bidding.

The rights package comprises of both the men’s and women’s Ashes, the men’s One Day International (ODI) and Twenty20 series in 2022, Australia’s other home internationals as well as the domestic Big Bash League.

Discovery will air the delayed Tokyo Olympic Games this summer, and in recent times has been bolstering sports content across its platforms – including Eurosport – with cycling, tennis and snooker acquisitions.