cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
timvenner123
Mentor

Star Sport and Disney HotStar for Test Cricket

The India / England Test matches are NOT on Sky.  Only on Disney HotStar, and Star Sports.  Can I watch via NowTv ?

0 Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Star Sport and Disney HotStar for Test Cricket

According to the Guardian today it looks like a deal has been done with Channel 4.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/feb/02/channel-4-wins-rights-for-england-test-cricket-tour-of... 

View solution in original post

17 Replies
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@timvenner123 

Disney Hostar is not avalaible in the UK. Star sports is not a channel that is avalaible in the UK. 

As far as I am aware Sky has the rights to cricket in the UK?

0 Thanks
timvenner123
Mentor

Thanks for your reply, but sadly Sky is NOT able to broadcast the India / England Test matches.  I searched under "How watch India / England ?", and that was the answer I got.
Tim

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@timvenner123 

Apologies on my previous post. Feel free to ignore. 

So hotstar is avaliable in the UK. The app is simply "Hotstar" and is as far as I am aware on the Now TV stick.

http://web.static.nowtv.com/images/docs/apps-on-the-now-tv-box-stick-uk-dec-20.pdf

My understanding is that Hotstar is not a pass via Now TV. It is a completely separate subscription, like Amazon, Netflix. 

0 Thanks
Saint1976
Elite 2

@timvenner123 @gavs82008 there hasn't been confirmation yet on the UK broadcast rights.

The BCCI asked for an extortionate amount of money for the rights so sky and BT declined. The same happened in the West Indies 2 years ago and a deal was struck the day before. So don't despair just yet.

If no deal is struck, there are other options. Hotstar is available in the UK via Android/Apple devices and there is talk they will make the games available. Currently, Hotstar is £15.99 a month contract free.

Hotstar moves to the Disney+ platform between the 2nd and 3rd tests, so again, the rumour is that the 3rd and 4th tests will be available on Disney+.

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @timvenner123 

I am not a cricket follower, but this internet news article suggests that the UK Broadcasting rights to the matches haven't been agreed or decided yet, where it mentions possibly Sky Sports or BT Sports.

If Sky Sports picks up the rights, then it will be on NowTV, where if BT wins the rights you will have to look at a BT Sports monthly non contract pass directly from BT Sports (unless you are based in the Republic of Ireland where it should be on the NowTV Sports Extra Pass ).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/cricket/0/india-vs-england-2021-tour-fixtures-dates-times-full-tv-schedu... 

Maybe keep checking the internet daily until the official UK Broadcaster is announced ?

0 Thanks
timvenner123
Mentor

Thank you for the ray of hope !
Tim
0 Thanks
timvenner123
Mentor

Thank you.
Tim
0 Thanks
Saint1976
Elite 2

@timvenner123 it's seems all us cricket lovers have been confused by Disney giving differing channels the same name. Have a read of the linked article on the latest regarding TV rights.

https://wisden.com/series-stories/india-v-england/where-can-england-fans-watch-india-series-on-tv

Apologies if my earlier reply has further confused you but I still think there's the chance of a last minute deal like with the West Indies tour of 2019!

timvenner123
Mentor

Thanks.   Informative, but rather depressing !  Fingers crossed for a deal.
Ashes looks worrying.
Tim
0 Thanks