Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
teague
Advocate

Sports Catchup Idea

Hi,

Why can't Now TV offer sports catchup?  I watch Formula 1 and it is important to me that qualifying and the race are available on demand as I cant always watch them live.  All sessions are available on demand on Sky Q so they are available just not made available for Now TV users.  

I understand that it boils down to money so why not make sports on demand/catchup available to Sports Monthly pass subscribers only?  If you had this I would subscribe to a monthly pass during the F1 season but without it I wont use the service at all and just watch C4 highlights as they are available on demand on All 4.

I dont mind paying for F1 but I wont pay for a service lacking on demand/catchup.  Even BBC iPlayer is better for Formula E as I can watch live, as live, pause and on demand and at nearly a third of the price for a months pass which offers live only.

8 Replies
gavs82008
Expert 3

Re: Sports Catchup Idea

The lack of Sports catch up makes Now TV look terrible as an ideal substitute for Sky TV. Another reason why I never bother with the passes often as I would only really watch WWE, but as the times are not suitable, nor do I want to sit through and watch the adverts.

Ever since the survevy that got sent out last year regarding changes to passes including the introduction of catch up, there hasn't been a single word from Now TV. Not even the staff have commented. 

A rough ETA would be fantastic, but I won't be holding my breath!

Until Sports has catch up, they won't be getting money from me for thet Sports pass!

0 Thanks
mrphil
Scholar

Its so hard to imagine that other than customer service reps and back office techs dealing with the content uploads, anyone does any work at all at Now TV, because the pace of change and introduction of features is so slow its painful. The surveys asking about if I would subscribe to a On Demand sports service make it so much worse that there is no announcements, no comments, nothing at all.

gavs82008
Expert 3

Another thing that I dislike about the sports pass is that we are forced to pay £33.99 for a service that DOES NOT have the Red Button function and On Demand. 

Sky TV charges £30 for its sports package which includes HD and On Demand. So we at Now TV pay more for less. 

For these reasons Now TVs sports passes are a terrible substitute for Sky TV.  Much like you said there has been NO annoucements from Now TV at all. 

There is also the lack of offline viewing which was promised by last year and shock horror still nothing. But instead of HD and 5.1 surround sound we get the option to add Hayu.......what a slap in the face as far as I am concerend!

0 Thanks
starman73
Expert 2

@gavs82008 wrote:

Another thing that I dislike about the sports pass is that we are forced to pay £33.99 for a service that DOES NOT have the Red Button function and On Demand. 

Sky TV charges £30 for its sports package which includes HD and On Demand. So we at Now TV pay more for less. 

On the old forum there was an ideas section where red button and on demand and HD were muted and supported, however that seems to have disappeared.

I would take issue about being "forced" to pay £34/month and how much Sky charges.  You could always get a Sky dish or a cable subscription and get HD + Red Button + On Demand.  You would pay more than £34/month for either of those as you would be "forced" into a package for at least 12 months.

Also I would be surprised if anyone pays £34/month.  Most I have ever paid is £13, but there are always offers for £17 and £20.

Suer there are some downsides to Now TV, but there are upsides (no contract, cheap as chips).

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Expert 3

Even last year there was a survery that went out hinting about changing the passes so it is more like Sky TV where you can select certain channels. HD, 2 additional streams and 5.1 surround sound were also mentioned. 

However as usual nothing has came out from this. But I am hoping these features will be added when they make Now TV fully avalaible on BT boxes. 

Your point getting a dish etc, I was a Virgin, then Sky TV customer for several years, got fed up paying £70+ for the "premium package", this was ontop of Netflix, Amazon Prime and WWE Network. Ended up ditching Sky over 4 years ago now and as far as I am concerned best move I have ever done. 
What Now TV offers that Sky does not is the ablitiy to to have it in other rooms without adding mulit-room, also it means you can take a Roku Stick when travelling and still be able to watch it on the hotel TV. 

At most I think I have paid £34 once or twice when I was attempting to use the pass, if you can't get a discount (which does happen) and you want the monthly pass then yes you are "forced" to pay the £34. But have pretty much boycotted it for the service they try to charge for. 

By no means will I be getting Sky/Virgin/BT TV anytime at all, streaming is the way forward. Like you said Now TV isn't perfect, but a very good substitute for Sky TV. 

alananne
Mentor

Re: Sports Catchup Idea / Jaksta

Has anyone tried Jaksta to record NowTV?

0 Thanks
ClockEnd
Expert 2

Re: Sports Catchup Idea / Jaksta

@alananne wrote:

Has anyone tried Jaksta to record NowTV?

Sssh, don’t mention things like that. No no.  Like k0dee...

0 Thanks
ClockEnd
Expert 2

@gavs82008 wrote:

Ended up ditching Sky over 4 years ago now and as far as I am concerned best move I have ever done. 

What Now TV offers that Sky does not is the ablitiy to to have it in other rooms without adding mulit-room, also it means you can take a Roku Stick when travelling and still be able to watch it on the hotel TV. 

I keep threatening to leave VIrgin, but they keep making offers I can’t refuse and it is the only way I can realistically get BT Sport. If it ever appears on Now TV with a pass that will be the end of virgin for me.

I forgot multi room. Ditched the 2nd virgin box because I could have three devices for the TVs around the house and everyone could watch what they want. And I can watch it when I visit relatives who are too mean to get their own subscription!

0 Thanks