cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
SteveTheDude
Advocate

Sky Sports HD ?

Quick question, I've recently subscribed to the sports package to go along with my entertainment package. 

However, I've noticed the quality doesn't appear to be HD, compared to if I'm watching Sky Atlantic or Sky sports on my soon to expire TV subscription. 

I've tried via now tv app on smart TV, and via my Xbox one. I've also got the boost activated but again to very little effect. 

Lastly, contacted now tv admin who asked for video sample to be sent. Before I do that just wanted to ask here first. Regards 

0 Thanks
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Re: Sky Sports HD ?

Hi @SteveTheDude 

If you are using an Xbox it could be the 25fps playback you are seeing which spoils the picture for sports rather than the picture resolution.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device 

Have you got any other playback devices to test Boost live Sports on when watching the six live Sky Sports channels that offers 50fps on supported devices ?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @SteveTheDude 

Have you tried logging out and back into your playback devices ?

Does any of your streaming playback devices offer the streaming quality figure when you press the info or enter button on your remote ?

Where a figure of 7831 or there abouts denotes 1080p.

Also only live Sports is at 1080p with a Boost Membership where Sports on Demand and Bonus Sports Streams is 720p at 25fps.

0 Thanks
gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SteveTheDude 

Just to follow up from advice by @schnapps  are you watching via Ethernet or Wi-fi? 

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @gavs82008 

Also forgot to mention that NOW recommends around 12Mbps when using Boost.

SteveTheDude
Advocate

Hi, watching via an ethernet connection on my Xbox one. But, if I watch Sky Atlantic via WiFi app on TV , picture quality is epic. Same applies to BT Sport app, picture is awesome. Just seems the sports picture quality isn't.

0 Thanks
schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @SteveTheDude 

If you are using an Xbox it could be the 25fps playback you are seeing which spoils the picture for sports rather than the picture resolution.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-highest-streaming-quality-for-my-device 

Have you got any other playback devices to test Boost live Sports on when watching the six live Sky Sports channels that offers 50fps on supported devices ?

View solution in original post

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@schnapps 

Well remembered, never gave that a thought about the 25fps.

@SteveTheDude 

You’ll see from this list which devices don’t support 50fps.

Both LG TV and Xbox don’t.

https://help.nowtv.com/article/what-is-now-boost

You’ll need any of these devices to enjoy all the features of Boost:

• NOW Smart Stick
  • Any NOW Box
  • Amazon Fire TV Stick (2nd & 3rd Gen, 4K, Lite & Basic Edition)
  • Roku Express or Roku Streaming Stick
  • A supported Samsung TV
  • Sony TV (most models from 2016)
  • PS4
  • PS5
  • Xbox One (50fps not currently available)
  • Xbox Series X & S (50fps not currently available)
  • Apple TV HD (gen 4) or 4K (Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound not supported on Apple TV)
  • YouView (including TalkTalk & BT boxes)
  • LG Web OS TV (50fps not currently available)
  • JVC Fire TV Edition Smart 4K TV
  • Chromecast Ultra or 3rd generation (note that 1st and 2nd generation Chromecast devices are not supported. See the image below if you're not sure what generation your Chromecast is.)
SteveTheDude
Advocate

Good shout with the listings.

So if I hook up an Amazon fire stick would that improve things?

gavs82008
Legend 5
Legend 5

@SteveTheDude 

Indeed it’s supported for 50fps so in theory it should make sports viewing via NOW as sharp as BT sport. 

So yeah if you have an Amazon fire stick I’d definitely give it a bash!

schnapps
Legend 5
Legend 5

Hi @SteveTheDude 

Yeah you will definitely see an improvement with a Fire Stick with regards to motion smoothness and motion resolution when watching Sky Sports Main Event, Premier League, Football, Cricket, Golf and the F1 live channels with Boost.

I can't watch fast action sports with 25fps playback where the picture looks shockingly bad even at 1080p.