cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Miketurn
Regular 2

Sky Sports Golf channel PQ

I've noticed that for a while now the SS Golf channel on Now TV has an inferior PQ to all the other sports channels. Whether this is down to a lack of bandwidth or some server side setting I don't know, but every time I watch it you can see fluctuations in the picture, such as parts of the screen going darker and then lighter again or the picture blocking in parts.

Viewing the same programme on say SS Main Event or SS Mix shows non of the artifacts that SS Golf has, so it has to be down tho that particular channel.

I have observed this on different tv's, and on both wired and wireless conncetions. I think it's safe to say that this is a problem at the Now TV end rather than mine.

Cab anyone shed some light on this?

Regards.

0 Thanks
6 Replies
Miketurn
Regular 2

Re: Sky Sports Golf channel PQ

Watching again today and still the same old problem. Surely other viewers must be seeing this blocking and picture fluctuations on this channel?

0 Thanks
fozzybear72
Contributor 1

Miketurn, I can confirm this.

Parts of the picture darken every second or so. I thought it was just an LG TV app issue but it does the same on the Xbox app.

It's been like this for many months.

fozzybear72
Contributor 1

Just watching it now.

When there's a lightish background, it's almost as if it's a 'checkerboard' background. ie. white and grey squares.

It would be good if this issue could be sorted by the time the Ryder Cup starts.

I'm hoping it's just an issue with the PGA feed you get though. I don't watch enough of the European Tour to see if this issue is prevalent there as well.

0 Thanks
Miketurn
Regular 2

I'm just watching the PGA Golf on the Main Event channel and there are no such issues with the picture quality that are occuring on the dedicated Golf channel.

I think it can only be something at the Now TV end, such as using too low a bitrate as there's no issue with any of the other sports channels.

I think the Ryder Cup will be on Main Event as well, so it should be 'flicker' free if you watch on that channel instead.

Interestingly there's been no response from anyone connected to Now TV about this, although I may talk to someone on the Live chat if things don't improve soon. Smiley Mad

0 Thanks
KieranNow
First Poster

Hi, I've had the same issue since I signed up last year, did You ever get an answer from sky as to why this happens? And how has it not been fixed by now. I signed up to watch the golf but can't with the picture fluctuating. 

0 Thanks
fozzybear72
Contributor 1

Yeah, this has been going on for over a year for me now. The picture on Sky Sports Golf is a mess. Lots of blocky pixelation but not the same issue as I have with Sky Sports Main Event.

I've just taken this screen shot a few minutes ago. Please see attached file. Look at all the blocky pixelation especially on the right side of the screen. The screen seems to change brightness every second or so. 

NOW TV just don't listen or care. This has been an issue on SS Golf for a long time now.

0 Thanks