cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
doppelganger
Regular 2

Sky F1 and NowTV in 2019. What do we all want to happen ?

Not sure if there's already a thread on this. What do we want of F1 on Sky in 2019?

I'd like to see a Sky News style stand alone app, with the live channel and all programmes on demand. I'd want it at a sensible price, well under the cost of the full sports channel package. It could include content from F1Tv that's not available in the UK if Sky and Liberty can do a deal. This is the way Sky/NowTV can get some money from me. I won't pay for loads of day passes and I won't pay the full sports package prices. 

13 Replies
GaryL
Regular 4

Re: Sky F1 and NowTV in 2019. What do we all want to happen ?

Dream on.

0 Thanks
arrgee1991
Contributor 1

@doppelganger wrote:

I won't pay for loads of day passes and I won't pay the full sports package prices. 

No one need pay full prices. Always an offer coming along. £12.99/month on offers page right now.

And free day passes are easy enough to get with crisps and chocolate and beer and razor blades!

charnwood14
First Poster

The ability to watch the races later. Kids, cleaning and work often mean I miss the races live. On demand access for the races later in the evening, like full fat sky and I’m happy as pie

0 Thanks
arrgee1991
Contributor 1

@charnwood14 wrote:

The ability to watch the races later. Kids, cleaning and work often mean I miss the races live. On demand access for the races later in the evening, like full fat sky and I’m happy as pie

With F1 the race is repeated continually.  The Russian Grand Prix is on right now.  And there are 4 re-runs of the Japanese Grand Prix on Sky F1 on Sunday with umpteen to follow during the week.

Of all the "sports" it is the only one where there must be at least a dozen oppotunities to watch the same event on Sky Sports.  And half of them are on Channel 4 to record as well!

0 Thanks
Apolloa
Occasional Poster

I want to know, will the new 4K Now TV box stream the F1 live in 4K like Sky Q does?

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @Apolloa

Nope, 720p at 25fps only when watching any Sky Sports live channels on the new nowtv 4K smart box.

At the moment the only content you can watch is 4K on Netflix with their top tier subscription, YouTube or the BBC UHD demo on the BBC iPlayer.

Don't expect any time soon NowTV bumping up it's service to 4K, where the next step is 1080p scheduled for the end of 2018 or early 2019.

0 Thanks
Apolloa
Occasional Poster

Ah well, thanks for letting me know I won’t be buying one then. No point as it’s the same resolution as the Now TV app on all devices. Maybe one day....

0 Thanks
schnapps Legend 2
Legend 2

Hi @Apolloa

Yeah maybe one day 😀

0 Thanks
Gert1
Occasional Poster

I would expect Sky wants to benefit from having the sole rights to airing live f1 races. If so, would they offer a Sky F1 channel only package at a reasonable price?

I don’t care about the other sports channels but only F1. I am happy to pay a reasonable price for that but not £30 for the complete sports package. 

The business case for offering a package with a price in between (£15 p/m seems reasonable) sounds like the best option to me.

Or will they force me and many other dedicated F1 watchers (I’ve watched since the nineties) to stop watching live races?

That would be very disappointing. Shame on Liberty Media if that happens and they allow it. F1 should be for the public not for the elite only!

0 Thanks